IGNORED

Question on using oil for diesel engines

Oldseadog

I have read several threads where people are using Shell Rotella T 15W-40 diesel oil. Is all oil the same? Would Castrol Diesel 15W-40 be the same? I don't want to damage anything, but am tired of buying the expensive oil from the dealer. Thanks for any and all advice.

Yep,, should be good to go Sea Puppy,, what makes the diesel oil work for us is the lack of additives found in "automotive oils"... Those additives do not seem to be clutch friendly - I actually can attest to the fact that using automotive oil WILL make your clutch slip..

I just use the cheapest available at the time but Tweeks has gotten treated to Castrol a couple times and I thought it worked great (it seems like I always find Rotella cheaper than Castrol).. Also have used "store brand" stuff (Super Tech from Wally World, Meijer Brand from Meijers,,, even Dollar General generic),,,, all seemed to work great to me as long as its Diesel... I have noticed some major differences in tranny smoothness if I run 20/50 instead of 15/40 in tempts above 70 degrees, especially in the desert tempts...

Tweeks has had a steady diet of this mix of cheap stuff oil and is well above 250k miles.. While I do change my oil pretty consistantly,, always within 5k miles,, I have never been one to stick to one brand,,, thinking it all comes from the same "vat" if you will... I know NOTHING of modern super oils/synthetics.. I am to "old school" for my own good and just could never get into the idea of running my bike 6 to 10k miles without an oil change,,, paranoia just wont let me do it..

I use the Rotella T in my rstd as well. I am a farmer and have it around. I use it in my semi and 4 wheel drive tractor as well. Oil change interval on tractor in manual says every 250 hours which to me seems to be insane. I am a believer in Rotella T, I have a lot of dollars trusted to it, and in the bike is the least of my worries.

Edited by bj66
Spell check

I use the Rotella T in my rstd as well. I am a farmer and have it around. I use it in my semi and 4 wheel drive tractor as well. Oil change interval on tractor in manual says every 250 hours which to me seems to be insane. I am a believer in Rotella T, I have a lot of dollars trusted to it, and in the bike is the least of my worries.

That sounds insane to me too BJ,,, especially in the environment that a tractor runs in.... Hmmm,, aint no farmer but it seems like 100 hours would even be high...

I have a 96 Cummins. I got turned on to Rotella back in 09 or so when I still had my VTwin kawi 900. I ran mobil1 20w50 in summer and rotella t6 syn in winter. I usually run the dino rotella in the pick up. But have run it in bike too. I would agree probably one of the best all around oils on market. But with that being said the new cars some take like 0w20 for emissions and milage. Now would the 15w40 hurt a new engine? I dunno I wouldnt think so.