IGNORED

Sticky Clutch; 1988 VR with footboards and heel-toe shifter

Okay Guys, time again for your help;

I replaced the stator cover with another from Ebay; but FIRST welded the sides of the single support on the backside for the shaft's tunnel through the stator.

Changed the oil using 5W-30; as it's already in the 30-40 degree temperatures with Winter almost here. Flush, filled and bled the clutch with Valvoline Synthetic DOT 3 fluid.

The motor is running great. but, here's the prob;

No matter how much I tweak the shift linkage, moving through the gears is tricky. One moment getting into first is really easy, the next moment it's not. Same with the other gears. The toe of the shift goes down to change a gear, and it bangs against the rider's left floorboard. Same with the heel. I could try cutting 1/2 inch off of the 'inside' floorboard along its length so the heel-toe piece won't 'bottom out', but I must be missing something. I wondered if it is a bushing missing from where the shaft goes through the Stator's tunnel, but the shaft was already a tight fit through it. About a 1/2 to 1" of the smooth part of the shaft is visible before the knurled portion the shifter linkage is attached.

What could I have missed? Any suggestions?

Again, thanks in advance.

Richard in Arizona

Richard,

Two things....

First, I would look over the pictures on this site and search the archives. You may be on to something regarding a missing bushing. I would go take pics for you but my 89 is stock...no heel/toe.

Second. I run 20-50wt Yamalube year around here in southern AZ on both bikes. Our temps are cooler than PHX. Much better shifting and quieter. I spent 40 years in PHX and always ran heavier oil year around. I let both bikes warm up for a few minutes...being water cooled, I treat the 89 VR just like my car. 5w-30 is too lightweight I would think.

Third (oops). Did you bleed down at the slave cylinder? I assume so. When I bled my clutch a few weeks ago...I went through almost a half pint of fluid getting the old stuff out and the line to run clear. Took a while, but the effort on the clutch is now so much better. Just an additional thought...since I was concerned how long and how much fluid it took for me to change out old for new....

Yikes! Now I remember, I had this same prob with my XVZ12; solved with the change in oil grade. Never mind mj; just aging will make you lose your memory. Now, if I can just remember where I put it......

Thanks,

Richard in Prescott Valley, AZ

:322:

Richard,

Two things....

First, I would look over the pictures on this site and search the archives. You may be on to something regarding a missing bushing. I would go take pics for you but my 89 is stock...no heel/toe.

Second. I run 20-50wt Yamalube year around here in southern AZ on both bikes. Our temps are cooler than PHX. Much better shifting and quieter. I spent 40 years in PHX and always ran heavier oil year around. I let both bikes warm up for a few minutes...being water cooled, I treat the 89 VR just like my car. 5w-30 is too lightweight I would think.

Third (oops). Did you bleed down at the slave cylinder? I assume so. When I bled my clutch a few weeks ago...I went through almost a half pint of fluid getting the old stuff out and the line to run clear. Took a while, but the effort on the clutch is now so much better. Just an additional thought...since I was concerned how long and how much fluid it took for me to change out old for new....

Well, machisas mas gracias to Videoarizona, as the 20w-50 was an near-instant resolution. But, there is a little clutch-lever fluid (Dot 3) coming out of the shifter shaft hole in the stator cover. Also, there is some 'slop' in the shaft, where it comes out of the stator hole; not laterally, but in-and-out of the stator's shaft hole, with about 3/4 of an inch of play. Any thoughts on these two points?

Thanks again,

RIchard in Prescott Valley, AZ

Richard in

...there is a little clutch-lever fluid (Dot 3) coming out of the shifter shaft hole in the stator cover.

If the fluid you observe is actually brake/clutch fluid, then you may, (but unlikely) have compromised steel hydraulic line or the hydraulic hose from the steel line to the slave cylinder is leaking or the slave cylinder is leaking. However, the fluid is probably just residual DOT3 from previous attempts at bleeding the clutch hydraulic system.

Clutch hydraulics.jpg