IGNORED

Possible addition to the Butt Butler Seat Modification

Rick Butler

Hey Folks,

Recently I had the opportunity to make a unique followup second change to a pillowtop seat for a customer who wanted me to raise the seat level back to the original seat height. On all of my modifications, I remove material from the foundation foam to remove pressure points and create a pocket for the rider to sit into, rather than sit on. This customer had a special situation with one leg where I need to change the angle of the legs and the only way I could do that was to bring the seat height back up to the original height. This meant I had to ad foam, and to do this I did what I have done on several sport touring and adventure bike seats, and that was to cut out a flat section of the seat bottom and glue in a layer of firmer foam and then rework the shape.

I first started doing this on older seats where the foundation foam had deteriorated and it needed to be build back up to let me reshape the seat as needed. Then I adapted the process to allow me to provide a firmer seat foundation that I could provide a better shape for sport touring and adventure bike seats.

I have found a closed cell foam that is used for gym mats in 1 and 2" thicknesses that has really worked out nice for applications like this where I need to rebuild a seat. I have always felt that a firmer seat is a better seat and this change has allowed me to control the shape of the seat more to where I can usually even make it wider and still stay with the stock cover. Then I still cover the entire seat with a layer of memory foam to help reduce pressure points. And it still allows the rider to settle down to the firmer foundation.

Now when I test fitted this seat on my bike it really felt nice and my first thought was that this was a change that that I needed to to do with my Butt Butler Pillowtop?

So I've attached a few pictures of what I did to this pillowtop. And for you folks that would like a firmer seat, this may be a addition I may make to my Butt Butler seat mods. Now like I do for covers that are attached with pop rivets and seats with heating elements, I will charge a modest fee to my base price.

So let me know what you think of this.

Rick

Finished Insert 2.jpg

Finished Insert.jpg

Raw Insert.jpg

Firm Insert.jpg

Hey Rick... You did a PT seat for me a few years ago and sad to say, because of health issues, I haven't ever had a chance to test it. We talked about it at the time, but in the end you just left the padding stock. However, raising and firming up the seat sounds like a good thing. I'm tall and heavy, so I end up crushing the foam and being pushed forward, resulting in a major case of monkey butt on long rides. This new set up sounds like what the doctor ordered. Even though I haven't tested it, maybe some time this winter I'll send it back for a dose of Butt magic.... :)

• 7 months later...

I like the sound of a firmer seat. I still feel like I sink too far into mine.

I'm 6'3" 245 and don't think I'm terribly abnormal.

My buddy has a Mustang seat and that is a lot firmer than the pillow top on the Venture.

It seems like I sit "on" his seat, rather than "in" my seat.

I'm gonna be interested in watching how this progresses.

Bob