IGNORED

Anyone remember the Auranthetic bikes called CHARGERS ?

Eck

Picked this Auranthetic Orange Charger up yesterday (11-16-14)

These were based on a bike used by Gemini which was built in Taiwan for them. They are actually Taiwanese mini bikes which were imported without motors and converted by the Auranthetic Corp in CA., between 72 and 79. They have 1hp series wound industrial motors and 2 12V deep cycles give them about 25mph for about 35 miles.

There is a charger on board with plug located in right side of gas tank. Of course, no gas is used since it is totally electric, but it looks like a gas tank.

The last pic shows two originals that I found on internet:

This is what mine looked like when I got it on a work table in my garage last night.

HPIM1441.jpg

HPIM1442.jpg

HPIM1443.jpg

Originals.jpg

Remember NASON?.....He picked it up (free). The guy was going to throw it in the trash so John got it and took it to his house. He has had it for about two weeks and decided he doesn't want to mess with it so he asked me if I wanted it (free) and I said heck yea.. So last night I picked it up and brought it home. Today I began tearing it down for a rebuild project this winter.

Rare as they are, some parts are really hard to find for it. I joined a Auranthetic Charger web site and there isn't much out there on these things since not many are remaining.. I will keep digging though or hand make parts that I need, like a chain guard. I will form one out of aluminum and then polish it to look like chrome if I cant find one.

The wing surely doesn't need life support. I might, but the wing...not..

I already gave thought to pulling it behind the wing to MD or Vogel / other rallies. Who knows what the future holds...........hummmmmm

I've always wondered where Yamaha got their idea for the 2d gen.

I would say that hurt, but I no longer own a 2nd gen, so I will leave it to those who do to get back with you on that one.. ha.

(Keep that up and you just MAY need a Doctor....) (kidding)

Looks like a Honda mini trail 50. Only the motor is missing. So surely instead of the puny 1hp motor your going to upgrade rite?

Not thinking of doing that. Would like to see if I can rebuild it purely stock..as it was

Neat O' Eckster,, l have ALWAYS loved the minibike restore routine and THAT is a dandy:banana::banana:!! Here are a couple shots of a 1970 Taiwanese made "Maverick" that I redid a few years ago.. Being a sister bike to yours (Gemini made a copy of this,, I wouldnt be surprised that they came from the same factory), this was a real sweetheart too!! It was actually Yamaha's version of Honda Mini-trail z-50 of the day... This sported a Yammy motor that was completely stock Yam only had "Taiwan" stamps all over it.... LITTLE SUCKER WAS A SCREAMER COMPARED TO THE MINITRAIL!!

Looks like you got yourself a fun project there - ENJOY!!

p (8).JPG

p (10).JPG

p (12).JPG

p (15).JPG

p (14).JPG

[quote=cowpuc;872525

Being a sister bike to yours (Gemini made a copy of this,, I wouldnt be surprised that they came from the same factory), this was a real sweetheart too!!

Here is a Gemini - (see pic)

Gemeni-1.jpg

Check this out Eck,,, apparently they were HUGE!! http://www.pinterest.com/rodss67/gemini-maverick-mini-s/

They werent that big in our area - this place was REALLY big with the Honda's,, lots of Bonanzas and other "lawn mower motored" stuff too but the Mini Trails were everywhere after they came out...

Few more from years gone by that you might appreciate... Wasnt long ago that I made a pretty good living doing these ol scoots up,,, talk about a RIOT!!!

DSCN8367.JPG

DSCN8374.JPG

DSCN8372.JPG

DSCN8386.JPG

DSCN8405.JPG

DSCN8329.JPG

DSCN8321.JPG

Check this out Eck,,, apparently they were HUGE!! http://www.pinterest.com/rodss67/gemini-maverick-mini-s/

They werent that big in our area - this place was REALLY big with the Honda's,, lots of Bonanzas and other "lawn mower motored" stuff too but the Mini Trails were everywhere after they came out...

Few more from years gone by that you might appreciate... Wasnt long ago that I made a pretty good living doing these ol scoots up,,, talk about a RIOT!!!

I've been searching every site I can for parts... and those who want to sell theirs for parts.. Man I never realized that there were so many different types of mini bikes...or electric bikes. I have been looking at all of them and I remember many of them in my day. There are more that I have not seen or know about too!!!!!!

Being it is cold outside, I decided to bring in some chrome parts and se if I could clean them up and give them a good waxing..

What-do-ya-think?

1st pic is the "before pic" of my front fender - then the next pic is the after cleaning and waxing of same fender.

Didn't take before pics of mirror or headlight rim, but here they are now..

HPIM1490.jpg

HPIM1491.jpg

HPIM1492.jpg

HPIM1493.jpg

Being it is cold outside, I decided to bring in some chrome parts and se if I could clean them up and give them a good waxing..

What-do-ya-think?

1st pic is the "before pic" of my front fender - then the next pic is the after cleaning and waxing of same fender.

Didn't take before pics of mirror or headlight rim, but here they are now..

GORGEOUS! Did you try that wadded up tin foil trick that was recently posted up? I get back on my feet and building again I am gonna give it a shot. Lookin great there Eck!

I knew about the aluminum foil trick years ago, however I don't do it the way it was posted though, but close.

I clean the part first using soap and water, dry it, then I use chrome wax and apply a small amount on a small 2" x2" piece of foil and rub the rusted part.

The amount of effort seems to be reduced and the satisfactory end results are achieved as seen in my pics above.

Using water and aluminum foil works. When you see the grey color, that is the paste that forms to remove the rust. I just go ahead and apply a chrome cleaning paste to get going faster...

Took off front wheel front forks/ tubes triple tree, cleaned, lubed and waxed all those parts. Notice how rusty the front wheel "was" and what it looks like now after cleaning/ waxing.. what a job. Front brake shoes have lots of meat on them yet. Disassembled, cleaned waxed, applied grease where needed, and now ready for re-assembly when ready. Rebuilt front forks, cleaned, waxed those, bearings are fine, will be cleaning and re-lubing those before re-assembly, Been marking a few wires as to where they go and what they are for before disconnecting them. I plan on replacing every wire from start to end to ensure they are right. Handlebars were a little rusty but a little more disassembly of wires and elbow grease and they turned out nice as seen in pics below. I removed the rear fender, tail light housing and light assembly including wiring. Wont be long and I will be down to the frame. I have been taking pictures before I disassemble anything...Again the battery acid took its tool on the paint job.. I am in a dilemma on striping and repainting it or just re-assembling it and maintain the original paint job. I have one decal on the gas tank that I can not find a replacement. I DONT want to loose this decal..Applying heat and careful removal may be in the future as an attempt to remove it from the tank, but I am not certain this will work. It is a one shot deal no matter what..So that is why I am thinking of leaving the paint job as it is.. but again, I am not sure what I will do yet.. DUH...............

HPIM1512.jpg

HPIM1513.jpg

HPIM1514.jpg

HPIM1518.jpg

HPIM1522.jpg

HPIM1500.jpg

HPIM1525.jpg

HPIM1524.jpg

Enjoying your write up. Any chance you could work around the decal leaving it there? Mask it carefully, sand, paint the color, unmask, and clear coat over everything?

Thanks vzuden, Im glad your enjoying the write up. I have many more pics, but I don't want to post all of them. Takes to much time..

I have been "strongly" thinking in that direction of trying to mask off, paint, clear coat and save the decal... It is the one and only decal around and I surely don't want to mess it up...

Cant believe how nasty the front wheel was... It cleaned up pretty good though.. My arm and fingers are sore, but hey.. It looks good...

HPIM1495.jpg

Well here we are again- it's 11-20-2014 and I spent the day continuing the tear down of the Auranthetic Charger Orange. As of today I have remove every single bolt, washer and nut. Every single wire.

100% of everything has been taken apart.

I removed the rear wheel, swing arm, rear shocks, entire wire harness after identifying where every wire goes or attaches to. I removed the electric motor. I then started sanding down the frame.

Tore the rear wheel apart, cleaning the rear brake shoes, rear hub, and rear wheel including every spoke on the rear wheel.

Check out the pics slowly and you will be able to tell the difference between the " before" and "after" elbow grease that was applied.......

Hope you enjoy the pics near as much as I enjoyed the tear down.

Next phase will be sanding down every "orange" part and getting them ready for primer and paint. Frame is completely sanded down to bare metal and ready for prime.

As I removed each part off the frame/bike, I cleaned it buffed it out, waxed it, and marked it as to what it is and where it goes and included my own hand drawings to ensure it goes back in place upon re-assembly.

As you look at the pictures you can see that little by little the frame is becoming bare...I hope you enjoy following me along on this as much as I enjoy doing it,. Thanks for looking!!

Might be better to start at the bottom picture and work up to see actual progress of the tear down.

Eck

HPIM1555.jpg

HPIM1554.jpg

HPIM1553.jpg

HPIM1552.jpg

HPIM1551.jpg

HPIM1550.jpg

HPIM1549.jpg

HPIM1548.jpg

HPIM1547.jpg

HPIM1546.jpg

HPIM1545.jpg