IGNORED

tire pressure?

bisquit

The tires on my bike are not the originals, those were runflats.These are fairly new, but not runflats. My owners manual says the tire pressure should be 36lbs. The sidewall of the tire says max load is like 638lbs at 41lbs of tire pressure. So which do you go by? Or should I set it somewhere in the middle???........Don

The tires on my bike are not the originals, those were runflats.These are fairly new, but not runflats. My owners manual says the tire pressure should be 36lbs. The sidewall of the tire says max load is like 638lbs at 41lbs of tire pressure. So which do you go by? Or should I set it somewhere in the middle???........Don

I usually go with the tire sidewall. I try to run 41 in mine front and back.

Jerry

Thanks guys I have been running by the sidewall recomendations. I was just curious because it says max load650lbs at 41 psi. Got to wondering what it would be if you were over the max load or under.........Don

I go with the bike manuel, because tires are designed to fit many bikes. The bike maker has set in their suspension values that the bike will perform when those specs are followed. The tire manufacture values are there to let you know their range of applications. The test ride with both cold tire pressures set over the same route will probaly be your best test.

The recommendation in the owner's manual is for OEM tires. If you have anything other than OEM tires on the bike, go with that manufacturer's recommendations, what's printed on the sidewall.
The only thing "printed" on the sidewall is the MAX air pressure and the MAX weight the tire will support (at that air pressure). It is by no means the recommendation for daily, normal use air pressure. Nothing, however, stops you from running that pressure and then making adjusts down from there.

What are these "run-flat" tires you're referring to?

I believe that the tire maker would know and should recommend the air pressure for the type of bike the tire will be used on. A lot of you have switched to Avon Venoms, and this is what they recommend:

Avon Motorcycle Tire Website

Avon Fitment Guide

Avon Fitments For Yamaha

XVZ 1300 TF Royal Star Venture (1999 - 2004)

Front Tyres » Venom

Size 150/80-16 71H

2.5 bar (36psi)

Rear tyres » Venom

Size 150/90B15 M/C 80H

2.9 bar (42psi)

But then again, can you trust anyone who spells tires like that?

Monsta, my bike is a 99 KZ1000 police bike(remember the TV show CHiPs) and the original tires were made to "run flat". If you punctured the tire or whatever you could still ride just as if it were fully inflated. Gotta remember what these bikes were made for. If you were chasing the bad guys you couldnt let em get away just cause you blew a tire, or take a chance on getting an officer killed in a high speed pusuit because of a blown tire. So I believe it was Dunlop came up with a tire that would'nt compress when you lost air, lots of plys in the sidewalls. Tires supposedly didn't handle too well though. I dont know, never had em on the bike.I'm not even sure they make these tires anymore. I know they dont make the bike anymore,although there are still lots of em around........Don

Please keep in mind that the same rule of tire pressure on cars applies directly to scoots - low tire air pressure = heat build up = early tire wear and possible tire failure.. Run air pressures at sidewall PSI..

Of course, if you get stranded out in the desert sand running your tires down to 10 pounds will get out of the sand (works great) BUT not on the highway hahaha

'Puc

Run air pressures at sidewall PSI.

That really isn't the best advice especially when you add car/truck tires to the discussion. Case in point: My 05 Excursion has E-rated tires. On the sidewall it says MAX load 3415lbs at 80 psi. There is NO way I'll run 'em at that pressure unless I have that much weight on them. It'll wear out the center part of the tire faster than the outside. Not to mention the crappy ride.

Tire pressure is about weight carrying capability. The MAX pressure should be used when that is how much weight the tire will be carrying. It is also the max pressure the tire should have in it cold. Although...that can open a can o' worms in regards to car/trucks tires. But that's a different discussion.

Anyway...there actually IS a formula for air pressure based on load that the tire will carry. I'll have to dig it up.

The only thing "printed" on the sidewall is the MAX air pressure and the MAX weight the tire will support (at that air pressure). It is by no means the recommendation for daily, normal use air pressure. Nothing, however, stops you from running that pressure and then making adjusts down from there.

The weight of our bikes plus two people gets pretty darn close to the maximum weight capability of the tires. And that's before you start filling luggage bags. I guess you didn't notice.

Well that's kinda of a smartass reply, eh? If you actually comprehended my post you'd see that I did. :rolleyes: I was talking about weight carrying and how that is the air's funct... aw hell...nevermind.

Anyway... the original poster isn't asking about an RSV, didn't mention passengers and luggage. Try to keep up.