IGNORED

from golg wing to venture

hi there,

I have been riding for 57 years and have had 53 different types of bikes. I live in Israel and import bikes that are 30 years and older bikes as that is what the law here allows. (collector bikes) and there is 118% tax to boot.

After reading your site I decides to sell my 80' gli gold wing and up grade to a venture.....:cool10:

After much research I found an 83' venture from a guy in Michigan who claimed that his bike was in excellent condition , paid him $300 over nada .. after about 1.5 months at a cost of$7946 it arrived......

When I got to see the bike after clearing from port it looked great from far BUT as I got closer I saw that the rear tire had maybe10% left, the fairing was cracked, the battery needed replacing & no oil in the front forks, doesn't idle and even tho' there was pressure on the brake pedal and lever no brakes! Compressor does not work nd the bike runs on 3 cylinders mostly

I need advice on how to solve the 3 cylinder problem. I had a BMW K100 with the same problem-solved by replacing coils. I read in the forum about TCI problems - does this apply to 83' models? Is it recommended to disconnect the brake proportional valve in order to improve braking?

Any advice will be welcome.

Brian

ok ..........that's enough CRYING for now after all I have imported for friends 21 bikes and this is the first one that I have been caught:(

Hi Brian,

I'm relatively new here so not knowledgeable enough to address all your issues. BUT, can tell you there is a ton of answers covering each issue you have....just need to search the forums. Lots of advice, experience and pictures available.

One cylinder: pull plug and check for spark, check carb diaghram for leaks, check wires....if the computer is the issue, take it apart and check for broken caps,etc.. Check coil wires.

Cracked fairing is easy to repair. ABS plastic can be "welded" with a simple soldering iron and patience. You can order ABS plastic sheets or sticks on-line.

The 1st generation bikes are fairly easy to work on...once you get the hang of how they come apart. The engines are pretty much bullet proof as well....!

I'm sure others will chime in...and welcome to the neighborhood!

Start with a compression test on all 4 cylinders. Inspect the plugs as you test. The dead cylinder should be obvious. The issue may be either a defective plug wire or corrosion on the coil. The plug wire spark plug end has "guts" to it that can go bad, it's a spring and a round brass piece and a cap that unscrews.

With the '84 only there was an issue with cracking of the frame on the mount for the rear shock. Make sure you inspect for this. Also, the TCI is particular for that year only. It has to do with where the vacuum advance is taken from. it is exactly opposite phase from the other years, and affects acceleration.

Once you get the bike running on all 4 cylinders we will be glad to help you out with additional issues you may encounter. As far as delinking the brakes, that is a personal preference issue. The '83 to '85 brakes in general left a lot to be desired; the brakes were improved starting with the '86 model. Stainless steel lines help out the braking...

Is it recommended to disconnect the brake proportional valve in order to improve braking?

Any advice will be welcome.

Brian

If you retain the stock linked brakes (front brake lever actuates the right front caliper, and the rear brake pedal actuates the rear caliper and the left front caliper), it is not recommended to 'disconnect' the proportioning valve.

If you delink the integrated brakes, then yes, the proportioning valve is 'disconnected', but most leave the proportioning valve body bolted to the rear master cylinder and just remove the internal parts of the proportioning valve.