IGNORED

Shifter Bolt

Angelo

I was riding home from work a couple nights ago and the bolt that bolts the shifter down fell out. I was able to get it in place to make it home, but need to replace it now. None of the dealers in town have it and not one guy could give my the specs on the bolt so I could just buy one at a parts place in town. I called yamaha and all they could tell me was shipping weight and total length but not thread pitch.

Anyone either know or willing to pull and get thread pitch/length on theirs for me? Really don't want to pay $10 for a $2 bolt.

If anyone has any doubts about spending $12 measly dollars for a membership to this forum, here is yet another thread proving this boards worth. Thanks for the help guys.

Now that I think about it more, with that one bolt fitting so much stuff on these bikes, surprises me that none of these guys had it.

The dealers, especially the parts guys, know less about the Venture than anyone on this board.

They were forever asking me, "Is that the 1600 cc or the 1700 cc version?" or "Why do you think you need 4 spark plugs?"

Chances are they have the bolt or a suitable sub in stock, but are just to ignorant to know they have it.

Best option is just what has been suggested here, take one of the bolts from the plastic cover around the ingition or one from the side cover and go to ACE, Lowes or Home Depot and match it up as best you can, use blue locktit when you install it and carry a spare.

But, Angelo, got to digress.

Although a few other bolts on the bike will fit, the one for the shifter is unique.

Same thread as some others but a different, larger head head. And it has more shiny.

You may want to swap it with another VR rider when they are not looking. Just saying. And, that will save you $12, cause that is about what mine cost when I replaced the OEM bolt. hehe.

But, Angelo, got to digress.

Although a few other bolts on the bike will fit, the one for the shifter is unique.

Same thread as some others but a different, larger head head. And it has more shiny.

You may want to swap it with another VR rider when they are not looking. Just saying. And, that will save you $12, cause that is about what mine cost when I replaced the OEM bolt. hehe.

Want to meet for coffee:whistling::no-no-no:

If your worried about the head size, measure up what you need to cover the shifter. If its real close to what the side cover head is and you think you need more surface area, just dont cut the bolt off as short and add a SS washer. Thin one like an AN if you find it.

I lost the shifter bolt on my 2007 RSV about 200 miles from home at the start of a 4500 mile trip. Pulled off an interstate exit ramp and went to down shift and found that my shifter wasn't there. Looked down and it was on the floorboard. I managed to get it back on the pivot shaft and made it to a gas station. I took some zip tie strips and secured it the best I could. Continued on my way with no problem. A couple of thousand miles later I passed a NAPA store and decided to stop to see if I could get a replacement. I found a bolt and washer that worked and continued on. Once I got home I replaced it with the correct screw from Yamaha and made sure to use Loctite.

Dennis