IGNORED

2005 RSTD -- Bike shuts off when riding

Good morning everyone. It looks like my post didn't make it through the website crash last night. I want to re-post my issue, so if anyone else has input I can work through this issue.

When riding my bike yesterday I was riding down the road and the bike shut off on me twice. It didn't sputter or run rough it just shut off like I reached up and turned the key off. As soon as I was able to get the bike in neutral it fired right up and I was down the road.

I was told it could be an electrical issue and it could be my fuel pump. I was thinking of buying an ignition bypass & keyless setup from one of the members on this forum. I thought this would eliminate my ignition switch being the issue.

Does anyone else have an experience with this or any insight that would help me solve this issue? I ride A LOT so to have my bike in the garage taken apart is killing me.

I had the exact same symptoms on my 1st gen.

After a lot of searching I found 3 things that could have been the culprit.

One was a bad kill switch.

one was a corroded ground connection.

and the other was a bad factor crimp of a wire, I found that one during a wiggle test when the power wire to the ignition came out of the contact in the connector shell.

Since I fixed all of them at the same time I do not know which one was guilty. It can be a lot of things that can cause your symptoms.

If it was fuel related it would not be a hard shut off and back on. Fuel problems would act like it was running out of gas, not a hard shut off. So I believe you have the dreaded intermittent electrical problem.

If you can not find an issue by inspecting things then you might need to hook up some cheater LEDs to help you identify the part of the circuit that is causing your problem.

I had the same thing happen to me, going down the road and the bike died.

In my case I believe it was the gas and specifically the fuel pump points. I have yet to take it apart but I have ridden it in cooler weather and did not have the same problem.

I have heard the pump make its pumping sound on startup but still suspect the points.

Let us know what you find out.

Bubber

I was thinking of buying an ignition bypass & keyless setup from one of the members on this forum. I thought this would eliminate my ignition switch being the issue.

Does anyone else have an experience with this or any insight that would help me solve this issue? I ride A LOT so to have my bike in the garage taken apart is killing me.

Ignition switch failures are common in 2ndGens... I think it all depends on how much your riding, starting/stopping, and how many accessories your running. I'd go ahead and do the by-pass just because. If that cures the problem, then you're good to go. Then start checking connections, and wiggling wires if it still persists. Electrical gremlins are a tough critter to wrestle with....

Condor. I ride a lot around town as I'm a real estate agent and it gets better mileage than my truck. I have put 5,000 miles on the bike since March. The only accessory I have is an amp for speakers that was installed by the previous owner. It's not running all the time, but it's there.

Ignition switch failures are common in 2ndGens... I think it all depends on how much your riding, starting/stopping, and how many accessories your running. I'd go ahead and do the by-pass just because. If that cures the problem, then you're good to go. Then start checking connections, and wiggling wires if it still persists. Electrical gremlins are a tough critter to wrestle with....

Wade -- I can check the sensor. Should the bike not start in neutral with the kickstand up? I have always started it with the kickstand down.

The way you say it shuts down I would say it's not a fuel related issue. I would start at the kickstand sensor as you said it would start in neutral. The ignition would be the next logical culprit. Happy Hunting:fingers-crossed-emo

Bike will die if the stand is lowered while in gear, Thus if the sensor thinks the stand is being lowered while riding, the bike will be shut down by the sensor.

Bill

What he said. The only gear position the bike will start in with the kickstand down is nuetral

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone. It's been a crazy 2 weeks for me with work. Sorry for not getting back to everyone sooner. I installed one of Dion's by-pass relays and in the riding I have done so far, I have no issues. I checked the kickstand switch but it was tight I couldn't see any obvious issues. Dion's relay is very simple plug and ride install. I will come back here if I have any other issues but so far it has been running great. Thanks again for all your help.

Yea I am anxious to hear also. He bought one of my by-pass relays to put on it and we chatted awhile on the phone throwing ideas around. Wonder if its fixed.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted to stop in and let everyone know that I have been riding the bike non-stop since putting in Dion's by-pass relay and I have had no issues with it shutting off. Last week my wife got off work early and we took a 150 mile trip up to the Shaver Lake and and I didn't worry about the bike shutting off. Thanks again for all of your suggestions.

1507761_10202280599616236_3508003217313448279_n.jpg10675640_10202280598736214_6458174877509128904_n.jpg