IGNORED

update on no start on son's bike

So I went over finally. Took off the side cover, and used a pair of insulated pliers and bypassed the solenoid (jumper pos cable to starter cable direct) starter came on no problem. took off the clutch interlock and cleaned and lubed it. Now if I hit the starter I get the click, but if I hit it multiple times eventually the solenoid will connect and it will start right up. I assume that the solenoid is weak or on the way out, ordered another one today off Ebay ($11.00) will be here Saturday. Also while cleaning contacts and what not on both handlebar switches I saw that one of the throttle cables is broken. Its:7_6_3[1]: the one on the front side of the bar. which one is this? the pull or push cable? and how hard is it to change?

Front cable should be the pull cable. I didn't catch what bike it is but if it is an RSV or RSTD You need to pull the gas tank off and dismantle the pulley system for the throttle/cruise control. Pay close attention to how this comes apart and be aware that there is a spring in there so pull apart gently so you know exactly how that spring goes back in. Would be good to look at the service manual if you have one. once you have the cables that lead to the handlebar disconnected from the pulley then you can dismantle the handlebar housing and remove the broken cable. Again, a service manual in these situations are your best friend. Good Luck.

Front cable should be the pull cable. I didn't catch what bike it is but if it is an RSV or RSTD You need to pull the gas tank off and dismantle the pulley system for the throttle/cruise control. Pay close attention to how this comes apart and be aware that there is a spring in there so pull apart gently so you know exactly how that spring goes back in. Would be good to look at the service manual if you have one. once you have the cables that lead to the handlebar disconnected from the pulley then you can dismantle the handlebar housing and remove the broken cable. Again, a service manual in these situations are your best friend. Good Luck.

no cruise control its a 96 A model pretty bare bones