IGNORED

Wish I was a tinkering man.

BigLenny

I wish I had a tinkering brain. My brain always tells me to just go back with the stock stuff that Yamaha recommends. About the only exception to that is I will not use the Brickstone tires that they came with, and I did go with Skydocs clutch kit. For some reason I have this voice always talking to me reminding me that Yamaha has a boat load of tallented engineers that have way more knowledge than I do of how to build a motorcycle correctly and with the exact correct components to make it go.

I really am amazed when I read the threads of you guys and gals that are creative and successful at increasing the performance of these ol sleds we ride. I just don't have that in me. I always weigh getting the fancy dancy spark plugs, but usually decide to just go back with stock NGK's. And I always toss around getting 47 hundred different brands and kinds of oil and oil filters, but I always just decide it's just simple to get Yamaha oil and keep using it. Many times I've been on the brink of going through the rigermarole of changing to a K&N filter system, but yada yada yada. Vmax rears, smaller front tires, high dollar shocks, messing with carb needles, expensive batteries, etc, etc, etc. Man, all that stuff sounds so cool! But, I guess I'm too simple minded. LOL. My innards tell me to keep it basic, keep it impeccibly clean and serviced, and ride the hair off of it.

But, man, I wish I had some of ya'lls brain! It sounds like it would be a lot more fun.

I really am amazed when I read the threads of you guys and gals that are creative and successful at increasing the performance of these ol sleds we ride. I just don't have that in me. I always weigh getting the fancy dancy spark plugs, but usually decide to just go back with stock NGK's. And I always toss around getting 47 hundred different brands and kinds of oil and oil filters, but I always just decide it's just simple to get Yamaha oil and keep using it. Many times I've been on the brink of going through the rigermarole of changing to a K&N filter system, but yada yada yada. Vmax rears, smaller front tires, high dollar shocks, messing with carb needles, expensive batteries, etc, etc, etc. Man, all that stuff sounds so cool! But, I guess I'm too simple minded. LOL. My innards tell me to keep it basic, keep it impeccibly clean and serviced, and ride the hair off of it.

Nothing wrong with that!!

I think you got a good, simple plan. Cudos to ya.

We who do a lot of tinkering end up with a whole lot invested in tools, lifts, service manuals, multiple bikes, etc., etc. But that's what make us tick.

I just have to work on things, mechanical, electrical, doesn't matter. I love making things simply run better or all-out resurrecting them when others write them off as done.

I have what is known as the mechanic's curse. Rarely do I throw anything mechanical out. I think in my head, "I bet I can fix that."

Well...got too many projects around here now. One day, I'll get them all done. One day...

So, go ahead and make your money doing what you are good at and pay the professional bike mechanic to do what he is good at. Spend your time enjoying riding that bike and save your tool money.

Maybe I'll try that someday when I'm older.

Everything done to my Sylvester has been done by me. Maybe a curse but at least a compulsion. Even change my own tires. Now that being said, I am also a wood butcher. My wife doesn't understand me and I can't explain it. She tells me to slow down, rest, talk more, spend more time with her and just relax. Sounds bad, right?

But I am also an outdoor cooking nutcase! I love smoking meats and my Texas brisket has won "best of" awards. Know what else? I am a mini farmer. Have 4.5 Acres that produce lots of produce that we can, eat and sell.

And I work full time for a heavy civil construction company.

Big Lenny, I admire you. :clap2::clap2::clap2:

:farmer:

I think you got a good, simple plan. Cudos to ya.

We who do a lot of tinkering end up with a whole lot invested in tools, lifts, service manuals, multiple bikes, etc., etc. But that's what make us tick.

I just have to work on things, mechanical, electrical, doesn't matter. I love making things simply run better or all-out resurrecting them when others write them off as done.

I have what is known as the mechanic's curse. Rarely do I throw anything mechanical out. I think in my head, "I bet I can fix that."

Well...got too many projects around here now. One day, I'll get them all done. One day...

So, go ahead and make your money doing what you are good at and pay the professional bike mechanic to do what he is good at. Spend your time enjoying riding that bike and save your tool money.

Maybe I'll try that someday when I'm older.

Cruse or gift ain't it fun and satisfing, when a plan comes together!!!!! :lightbulb:

Man,, I am with you a 100 percent Lenny,, a more talented, creative bunch of rascals have never been found..:cool10: I had a mentor back in my early twenties who said something that has stuck with me all these years,, went something like this "when someone is explaining something to you, no matter how crazy what they are saying might sound, look for little nuggets of gold, keep em and toss the rest,,, if you do that you will become rich in what is important in life".. This place is infested with golden nuggets!!!

Oh,,, by the way,,, not all gold nuggets are made of bike fixin/tinkerin type elements.. They come in an endless variety and THAT fact is what makes a family like VR sooo special, everyone matters!!

Maybe I defined "tinkering" wrong. I do all or most of my own work. I have the 6' toolbox with 20 or so drawers filled with probably $5000.00 of tools and such. I have lifts, floor jacks, power tools running out the ying yang. Vises, compressors, generators, yada yada yada. two shops to work in. All general maintenance on my vehicles i do myself, and most or all non general maintenance, and a ton of remodeling on my house. But, what I meant by "tinkering" is; taking something that is perfectly fine in it's stock formation and then fiddle and tinkering with it by adding mods and different stuff than what the factory deems neccessary. I just really like stock stuff. And I take a lot of comfort and peace of mind in keeping it stock, but keeping it perfect all the time. I have and do add accessories to my bike like passing lamps, center stand, seats, chrome stuff and such. But what goes against my personal nature is taking something critical on the bike and changing it to aftermarket to try to make it better. That worries me. LOL.

But, like I said, I hugely admire you folks that "tinker' with stuff and make it better than stock. Again, I wish my brain worked like that. LOL.

Well, the tires, the clutch, and maby a better seat. But that's about all a 2nd gen really need, as far as upgrades.

You might put a bottle of " Ride-ON" in each tire (easy to do )

Keep your Carbs, Sync'ed.

Install and AGM battery, next time you replace it.

Keep a check on that big white plug between the Stator, and the Regulator.

Drain your tank and carbs once a year.

Hey, not really much else needs to be done to these bikes, Just Ride !!! :cool10: