IGNORED

2006 RSTD carbs jetted, what PMS setting?

Hello, I have a 2006 RSTD, with full Bub 4 into 2 system on it and K&N filter in stock boxes. Pretty sure I plugged the AIS quite a while back. Iridium plugs, stock ignition.

Let her sit for far, far too long and gunked up the jets and such. Would not idle anywhere close to right and died instantly unless the choke was at least halfway out. Ran Seafoam for about 50 miles, still sluggish on highway and wouldn't idle.

So I just rejetted with 125, 125, 120, 122.5 and all 117.5 pilots. Used a big can of carb cleaner and sprayed out all of the other jets, crannies, etc. and got all the dark backwash out. The floats looked like there was zero attempt to set them at the factory, so I bent the tabs to get about 8.5mm height on them. Pilot mix screws were nowhere close to same, about 1.5 turns difference between them. I set them all at 2 turns out. Did not check carb sync yet. Now she pulls at least as well as I thought she did before, prolly better. Easily got to over 90 in third without even trying. But she still pops on decel. Not a huge issue, but if I can tweak for best performance, why not?

Any ideas on PMS settings? I guess there are 90 degree screwdrivers I could get to adjust the PMS if I need to. Not sure about best way to try tweaking them but I am open to ideas.

Based on my experience with the popping on decel, you now need to adjust the mixture. First do a carb sync. Then start with the setting the mixture at 2 turns out. Working one carb at a time turn the mix screw in until the idle increases then back it out 1/4 to 1/2 turn. When the idle increases you are creating a lean setting which is bad. Check the sync on your carbs again and ride it. If you still have popping on decel work with one carb at a time on the side that is popping. Popping is usually caused by a rich mixture. Not all the carbs will be set the same. I have found up to one full turn difference in the settings between all 4 carbs. Make your adjustments in small increments. It took me a while to get both of my bikes to stop most of the popping on decel. After you get it where you think it's good, ride it. Run a tank of gas through and pull the plugs. They should be a light grey (not white, especially white with spots is not good) To make them lighter decrease mixture. To make them darker increase mixture. Adjust each carb based on the color you see. Make small adjustments and keep track of each carb setting for future reference. Run another tank of gas and check again. You may have to compromise between performance and popping on decel to some extent. It took me about three tanks of gas to get the mix where I wanted it. I average 45mpg and have very little popping. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Nickjandrews...

I have a 2006 RSMTD and I have done the same thing with the carbs that you did same jets same pilot screws K&Ns performance slipons... I use my carb sync to set all 4 pilot screws to the maximum amount of suction that I can. I do each pilot screw separately. After setting the pilot screws I do a carb sink. I use the morgan carb tune. It runs like a champ after this. The only differences between your setup and mine is that I have not plugged off the AIS and I run a Dyna 3k ignition module. No pops or sputters at all with this setup and it is considerably easier then doing it as described above. Although I am sure that doing it the way toyodie described will do a very good job of tuning up your PMS it can be a heck a lot of work. Years ago this was the general method used for setting up and syncing multiple carburetors on automotive vehicles and it still seems to keep my bike running very well. Good luck... I'm sure you will get it as you wish.

Larry :cool:

Edited by Tensilon