IGNORED

New Rear Tire on a Wing

Wow - that was easy - to watch and evidently to do also, when you know the trick

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TShysJyHb-0]Changing the rear wheel on a Goldwing GL1800 - YouTube[/ame]

waaaay easier than the RSV !

VentureFar....

I used that technique changing the rear tire on my 03 wing. I was past 60 at the time and it was a simple and quick way to change the tire with no help. After laying it down on blankets and pads in my garage I was confident I could do the same in a grassy area while on a trip if needed.

I just changed my tires yesterday using the "lay down" method for the rear. Very easy. Far easier than the RSV. I do place a 1x6 plank under each crash bar to assure that the bags don't touch the pavement. I always have someone help me lay it over so that we can let it come to rest gently. I can put it back on the side stand by myself. The front it easy too. Just put it on the center stand and place a jack under the front to get the front tire off the ground.

Dennis

Same here. I have laid mine over like that several times. Just laid it over two weeks ago to install a CT on mine. and I installed a new front tire using center stands and jack under engine like Dennis mentioned.

I noticed this time laying it over on it's side that it is getting to be one heavy bike... (It has nothing to do with me getting older and weaker now...:whistling:)

Same here. I have laid mine over like that several times. Just laid it over two weeks ago to install a CT on mine. and I installed a new front tire using center stands and jack under engine like Dennis mentioned.

I noticed this time laying it over on it's side that it is getting to be one heavy bike... (It has nothing to do with me getting older and weaker now...:whistling:)

Maybe Eck, at the IR you can help me with some of these tips and tricks. I'd like to try...:fingers-crossed-emo

When that thing went "punk" over on its side I was thinking, maybe he should have had a spotter to help. It looked like and sounded like it could cause some damage.

If that guy treated my torque wrench like that I beat him on the head. It aint real good to snap them like that. But hey its his $30 wrench so.......

I thought he let it down 'nicely'. When I 'let' my RSV down at a gas station because my wife wiggled left as I was lifting the kickstand, it looked a lot like that only with a lot more cussing and swearing.......

VentureFar...

Maybe Eck, at the IR you can help me with some of these tips and tricks. I'd like to try...

Barry,

I am sorry to say that I will not be at the IR this year even though it's almost in my back yard.

My son and his wife will be coming home on July 19th and I have not seen him for 5 years and not seen her for 8 years.. I will be spending every minute I can with both of them before the leave July 31st to go back to their home in Australia.

Feel free to call me (phone number in my profile) or email with any questions you may have. I would be happy to talk you through.

Eck

One more thing to add if you lay your bike over as video shows.

If you have installed riding foot boards or pegs on to the front crash bars/ engine guards, I would make sure to remove the right side board so as not to damage it.....

You can put a thick pillow or blanket under it, but I just take mine off since it is only 4 screws..

Eck

• 1 year later...

I would think that leaving it in first gear would be a good idea when laying it down or picking it up (looked like it almost got away from him when putting it back up.

Also, if installing a car tire, deflate it and use wax paper to help the tire slide in or out.

I didnt deflate my CT when I installed mine. I just used a little hand lotion on the plastic on inside of rear fender and a little on the tire itself where the two surfaces would touch each other. You can also use a wal mart bag over the tire where it will touch the plastic and it slides right in. Yesterday I replaced my rear brake pads and I took the lug nuts off and moved the CT out of my way a little for more access and the darn thing fell out of the rear by itself. Almost landed on my face. When I went to push it back up in, it about killed me.. I strained and strained and could not get it back in. SO I applied the hand lotion and it went up very easy. Amazing it can fall out on it's own, but I cant push it back up in there without lotion..(this aging thing is just killing me).

Had a GW guy tell me it was easier to change a tire than the air filter.

This is NO joke..............

I have changed my air filter twice. Even knowing what tools I need and how to do it, it still takes me about 2 hours total time which includes cleaning up and tools put back where they belong.

If I had a new tire already mounted on a rim, it would only take me about 15 minutes total time to change out the rear tire.

I didnt deflate my CT when I installed mine. I just used a little hand lotion on the plastic on inside of rear fender and a little on the tire itself where the two surfaces would touch each other. You can also use a wal mart bag over the tire where it will touch the plastic and it slides right in. Yesterday I replaced my rear brake pads and I took the lug nuts off and moved the CT out of my way a little for more access and the darn thing fell out of the rear by itself. Almost landed on my face. When I went to push it back up in, it about killed me.. I strained and strained and could not get it back in. SO I applied the hand lotion and it went up very easy. Amazing it can fall out on it's own, but I cant push it back up in there without lotion..(this aging thing is just killing me).

since my last post from this thread I actually had to lay the bike down in my garage and remove the tire. Eck knows about my brake pad issue. Anyway, the GW cat told me about using a garbage bag to help slide it on. I must say it was spooky, but it went down and came up ok. Just make sure you use your legs and not your back.

+1 on keeping it in gear, and kick stand out...