IGNORED

Rivco center stand - good news / bad news

The good news....I got the stand and it was awesome build quality...decent directions...and fairly accurate install proceedure.

The bad news....it does not work if you lower the rear of your bike.

Now, mind you when I was a 180lb SSG in the ARMY back in 1982 I was able to easily get my yamaha xs1100 midnight special on its center stand

Today, weighing 290, and being able to bench press 275, me and my neighbor both at the same time tried to get the bike up on the stand and no luck.

After thinking about it...I realized in order for the center stand to work, Id have to lift the bike up an 1nch to make up for the lowering kit and then do the lift and lean to put it on its center stand.

So basically, if you lower the rea of the bike....the instrcutions on how to put the bike up on center wont work.

Thught about it some more today while at work...and maybe if I ride the rear of bike onto a 2X4 the thickness of the 2X4 would raise the bike up to the original height and the center stand use instructions might work. will try that to night.

May wind up having to carry a 6" peice of 2X4 in my saddle bag if I need to use the centre stand.

I put one on my 06 RSV recently. Like you said, it's a quality piece. All went well, although I had a bit of confusion relocating the emmissions valve. I think it takes a bit more oomph to get it on the center stand than on my First Gen, but it's do-able. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. :cool10:

I put one on my 06 RSV recently. Like you said, it's a quality piece. All went well, although I had a bit of confusion relocating the emmissions valve. I think it takes a bit more oomph to get it on the center stand than on my First Gen, but it's do-able. All in all I'm pretty happy with it. :cool10:

I was also confused about the emmissions valve, until I installed the stand and saw what has hitting. Doing the flip was not enough to clear it...I needed a washer as a spacer.

Is your bike lowered? going to try putting the rear wheel on a 2X4 when I get home to see if that amount of rear tire lift would be enough to use the stand.

Many years ago on my 1st gen, due to how difficult it was to put my bike on the center stand, as I tended to run as low air pressure as I could (inseam challenged), I took my stand off and shortened the legs 1/2 inch. This, in effect, lowers the rear tire about 1 inch. Now, the rear tire is still off the ground plenty while on the center stand, but it really helped. When your bike is on the center stand, how far off the ground is the rear tire?

If anyone decides to shorten their center stand, they need to keep in mind that whatever amount they take out, it will double at the rear tire.

RandyA

The good news....I got the stand and it was awesome build quality...decent directions...and fairly accurate install proceedure.

The bad news....it does not work if you lower the rear of your bike.

Now, mind you when I was a 180lb SSG in the ARMY back in 1982 I was able to easily get my yamaha xs1100 midnight special on its center stand

Today, weighing 290, and being able to bench press 275, me and my neighbor both at the same time tried to get the bike up on the stand and no luck.

After thinking about it...I realized in order for the center stand to work, Id have to lift the bike up an 1nch to make up for the lowering kit and then do the lift and lean to put it on its center stand.

So basically, if you lower the rea of the bike....the instrcutions on how to put the bike up on center wont work.

Thught about it some more today while at work...and maybe if I ride the rear of bike onto a 2X4 the thickness of the 2X4 would raise the bike up to the original height and the center stand use instructions might work. will try that to night.

May wind up having to carry a 6" peice of 2X4 in my saddle bag if I need to use the centre stand.

I installed a 1st gen stand on my second gen.

couldn't for the life of me get it on stand.

read thru some posts , tried more air rear shock no difference...

then I took a 2x4x11" and cut the end off in a 45 deg angle, pushed my bikes rear tire up on it and wallah! I could easily put bike on centerstand with one hand...the rear tire is one inch above the 2x4 on the stand, so i'd would have to have picked the bike up 2 - 1/2 inches with one arm(I've never been that strong)

I have an obsolete Diamond R centerstand (same principle) mounted on an '06 RSTD that does not have the leveling links. However, I am 165# and 5'8" (60 years old) and have no problem getting the bike on the centerstand. I don't think that anybody can "lift" the rear of the bike 1". I never had much luck using the technique that Rivco suggests.

Here's how I do it: Place your right foot facing forward (your body is facing forward) on the centerstand. Left hand on the left hand grip. Right hand on the saddlebag guardrail with your knuckles facing forward. While putting pressure with your foot on the centerstand, stand the bike vertically until both centerstand feet touch the floor. Now, rock your body to the rear while pushing down with your foot and pulling up with your right hand. Works for me.

I was also confused about the emmissions valve, until I installed the stand and saw what has hitting. Doing the flip was not enough to clear it...I needed a washer as a spacer.

Is your bike lowered? going to try putting the rear wheel on a 2X4 when I get home to see if that amount of rear tire lift would be enough to use the stand.

No, my bike's not lowered.

I ended up doing away with the bracket all-together, and mounted the part that the stand was hitting to the emissions valve with a piece of 5/8 hose, and doing away with the original pre formed (curved) hose. Gave me plenty of clearance.

Well, as someone suggested, a 6" 1"X6" (deck plank) with 45 degree angles on each end works. position the rear tire on top of the decking, and the centerstand works as intended.

So another tool to carry in my tool kit.

thanks everyone for the tip's.

Not sure about the Rivo centre stand but I just mounted one of Don's old first gen stands modified for 2nd gen and had to make some adjustments on how far out the mounting bolt heads were to control how far "over" centre the bike went.....once I got the adjustment right, she was easy to get up onto the centre stand when she wasn't going way past centre.