kantornado

Ride or the Slide  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Ride or the Slide

• As little as possible
    • Comfortable
    • I just ride
    • Full gear

Was wondering about how many of you and your passenger dress for the wreck or the ride.

I see people here who ware half helmet/shorts/T's/Sandals when the temps over 100 Degrees.

Then others are in full face/leathers/boots/gloves

Then everything in between. Just curious

Hitting the asphalt/concrete here with a surface temp on a 100 degree day asphalt can reach up to 120 degrees, depending on exposure to the sun, altitude etc

When I first got here the asphalt had liquefied at a stop light the outside official temp was 117 on that day but the temp can change as much as 4 to 8 degrees depending on where you are in this valley.

Here in S Texas, summer temps are easily 110+ during the summer.

I rotate between a 1/2 and a 3/4 helmet and decent mesh jacket and gloves

During the winter, I'll switch to a full helmet, better jacket and leather chaps and gloves.

Always have a helmet and gloves, sometimes leave the jacket.

Somewhere in the middle. But no choice for that. LOL I picked comfortable. Always a helmet, sometimes a half, long trips my 3/4. I have a textile mesh jacket I will wear up to about 90 or so, then it just seems to hot if mulling around town. I do try to wear a hi-vis vest as much as I can. Unless its a trip to the corner store (about a mile on neighborhood streets) it long britches and real shoes. Never flip flops.

I feel like the only time I don't have enough gear on.....I'm going to wreck THAT time!

I have LOTS of gear, And I normally wear it. But I have been known to skip on some sometimes. Like a quick run to the parts store. Ride to work, (No place to really change) And Parades, and so on. And that's odd because MOST MC accidents happen close to home.

I think I gear up according to risk, Tail of the Dragon or a trip, all out. Close to home short run, not enough.

But one thing is for sure, when your sliding down the road, amazed at how long it's taking to stop, seeing your bike catching up with you, or you catching up with it.... A flash of cars that were following you, STILL following you! And all the Amplified sounds yet so much is quiet. It's then you'll be thinking of all that gear you SHOULD have had on!

The WORST violation I do is NOT wearing my Reflective vest at night. All the lights in the world on your bike won't help you be seen once you get separated from it. Like tonight I rode home through Deer Alley. Had I hit one, no one would have seen me laying there. I have heard of riders surviving the wreck and killed by a car that did not see them in the road.

The WORST violation I do is NOT wearing my Reflective vest at night. All the lights in the world on your bike won't help you be seen once you get separated from it. Like tonight I rode home through Deer Alley. Had I hit one, no one would have seen me laying there. I have heard of riders surviving the wreck and killed by a car that did not see them in the road.

I guess I never even thought or heard mentioned of that scenario, and it sounds very realistic. Dang more shopping to do. :mo money:

I almost always wear a helmet, I wore a 3/4 until my father had his brain injury just falling down in the house. But seeing what a brain injury can be caused me to go and get a good full face helmet. I have read that most head injuries are via the face because that is the direction you are going and you have a tendency to look at what is coming. The only time I do not wear a helmet is moving the bike from the street to the shed after having mowed the lawn. But I never get over 10 mph on that "trip" and I feel naked and strange even sitting on the bike with no helmet.

As far as the rest of the gear, I don't own any "real" gear yet. I do wear a long sleeve shirt of a weight appropriate to the weather, jeans and my hunting boots. I do realize that that cotton shirt and jeans will only help the first foot of the slide before they wear through.

I, like Jeff, never get the wheels of my bike on the road without a helmet. I never thought about being seen when detached from the bike. Thanks for reminding us of that Mike. We are in the middle of shopping for outerwear now so we can take longer trips. The kids are gone and the wife wants to start planning overnighters working up towards longer trips.

For road trips or on the open highway, I always wear full gear. (Full face helmet, Armored jacket, jeans boots gloves etc). Local riding on my 1st gen I will use a 1/2 helmet yet same as above because of the weight of the bike. For a quick hop to the store a mile away on my CB750 (which after owning a 1st gen for a few years feels like a dirtbike) I have been know to grab just my 1/2 helmet & ride with short sneakers & a T-shirt.

Both of us wear full face helmets (although Nancy wants a modular one with flip up chin).

I usually wear jeans and my Tourmaster jacket (with armour in), always boots (SWAT) and always as a minimum the fingerless gloves.

If it is cold out I'll wear chaps and full gloves.

Always helmet,gloves and swat boots..sometimes no mesh jacket but rare ..saw HD on way home from Port Dover 13th...flip flops.short shorts tank top and the girl was wearing less...guy couldn't even flat foot bike ..up on his toes at stop...guess cause he was a H A it was OK...idiot and rode like one

Anyone thinking of buying a Vest for at LEAST use at night in case you become detached front the bike and want to be seen where you land.

I highly suggest any Military Spec Vest,

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Vests/Safety-Vests?utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Vest_-_Search

these seem to last forever, have a ID badge holder on them. You should put your ICE card in there. As anyone in the Military knows, They take Riding serious and Vests are mandatory.

A tip when riding crazy stuff where crash risk is increased or riding alone, I put a Small CD on the vest and a plastic blow whistle. Of course the whistle is to blow if you're over the embankment on the TOD or whatever. So they can find you. And the CD makes a great reflective mirror for signaling. Sounds stupid but people have needed a signal device.

If you slightly poke, you will find someone crashed on the tail and during the recovery they found a body of someone else who crashed long ago. Whistle! Signal!

And I shall mention the first thing a driver says after creaming a Bike rider, "I didn't see him." So we all would be better off with a Mil Spec Vest all the time. in a perfect world.

I do not know about the other services, but the Air Force no longer requires the reflective vest.

I just got another jacket for father's day, so now I will ride with it, jeans, full finger gloves, boots and my 3/4 helmet. I have a full face for colder weather.

I wear a leather vest with some bright patches on it. I have a mil spec reflective vest, but it stays in the saddlebag more often than not.

ATGATT.

Even in 90º temperatures, if we are riding, we have leather jackets, chaps, gloves, heavy boots and ¾ helmet (hers), full face (mine).

When we got wrecked in Ohio last summer, we had all the above gear on, even though it was 86º. Thanks to the ruined gear, almost all our skin was saved and noggins were unscathed. Can't say the same for our gear. All of the leather was scuffed, torn. My leather jacket and Deb's chaps were worn through. Deb's faceshield was gouged. (She is now shopping a full face.)

Believe you me, sliding down the pavement (and rumble strips) at 65 mph will make you a devout follower of the ATGATT.

And for those who maintain that a short jaunt around town won't require ATGATT, I submit that we were on a local road, having just left a gas stop, on our way to the State Park just 15 miles down the road, when the impatient commuter cut me off on a four lane road and ruined my bike, trailer and vacation.

As for the 'comfort' argument: how comfortable will you be while recuperating from skin grafts, peeled foot soles or fractured skull?

Even though full gear saved my hide in 2003 from a 55 mph crash and slide... I still find myself sometimes leaning toward comfort. Even with my mesh jacket, on days approaching 100 degrees here in the humid south, I find myself feeling as though I am going to get dizzy from heat when I wear the jacket. And yes.. I drink lots of water. My Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket is about as open mesh as I could find and yet it still makes me feel as if I am going to pass out in high heat.

I have heard some good things about these cooling vests and plan to get one and try. Anyone have any input on if they actually work or not?

A note of caution re riding gear... DoD (Dept of Defense) has regs regarding Motorcycles. These regs apply 24/7 worldwide on base or off, and supercede local laws. If you are on active duty or connected to the Armed Forces and will utilize Government Medical Insurance (Tricare) in the event of a mishap.. Not only do the regs address licensing and required MSF training, but proper riding safety gear as well.

So to simplify: If you have an accident and do not have the required license/training or are not wearing the proper safety gear, your Government Medical Insurance may not cover your medical bills as you are in violation of the regs...

This also applies to Military retirees who use Tricare, though their accidents are not investigated to the same degree as Active Duty members.

Soooo, can I afford what could be medical bills in the 6 digits or more coming out of my pocket?? Me thinks not..??

I will dress for the 'Slide', keep my M/C endorsement and MSF training current and know that Tricare will have no reason to deny my benefits if ever required.

I have learned a few things by reading the posts here and got some insight as to riding styles of members here.

Hitting cars that ran stop signs,lights and a deer at 60mph as well as just recently a antifreeze slick that came out of nowhere.

When young I wore a helmet on and off depending on day and wear I was riding.

A helmet has saved my life more then once and to me putting it on is a no brainier.

I can not tell you how wonderful it was to of hit a car and fly over the top, land on my feet, slide to my butt,everything is in slow motion coming to an abrupt stop and my forehead slamming into the asphalt and as I springboard backwards seeing the indentation of wear my forehead hit,then slamming the back of my head on the asphalt and cracking my 3/4 bell helmet down the middle with a 1/2 inch deep bowl of the back of my head.

I figured it was a "sign" as I was going to throw the helmet on the work bench (cause I was only going to the store) the ring caught my little finger and I said what the hell and put it on.

As I have aged and healing time is longer I am more inclined to dress for the slide.

But as always I am hopeful that another crash will not happen, but being realistic I know it will probably happen again.

The 3rd degree burns on my right arm/shoulder and the bone scraped off my right knee has made me reevaluate my riding outerwear.

But comfort is very important as well and its a call I make everyday.

• 2 weeks later...

been run over too. But they missed the best parts! Only got my leg. It could have been prevented with good defensive driving skills. The woman that ran me over. Her name was Lenora KILL! No kidding!

I am dressing now according to the weather. I was barely able to purchase a cycle this year due to other bills and expenses. As time goes forward I'll try to get some motorcycle specific clothing.

In my case, it depends on where I'm going. Long distance trips, ATTGATT, armored jacket, hikers, gloves, riding jeans, full or flip face helmet. Short trips, like a day trip or a run down to Houston or over to Austin, MOTGATT, only difference there being regular jeans instead of my riding jeans. I carry reflective vests in my saddlebags and will put them on if I'm out after dark. Thanks to Don [b2Dad], the trike lights up like a Xmas tree and I'm planning to do something similar to the TC.

I was considering buying a half helmet after I got the TC but Ponch's accident put a halt to that idea. Some of his injuries I believe were CAUSED by his wearing a half helmet instead of something with a face shield. I laid my old maxi scooter down some years back and came off of it face first. My rain gear was completely shredded down the front, my full face had a 3 inch wide swath diagonally across it's shield and the only injury I had was a bruised hand from wearing regular gloves instead of my usual armored ones. Ponch's accident reminded me why I have never ridden in anything less than a 3/4 with face shield.

ALWAYS, boots, jeans, gloves,3/4 helmet. Usually, mesh jacket.

• 1 month later...