IGNORED

rev limiter ?

took a royal star for a test ride today but whats with the rev limiter my venture and my vmax dont have them so dont realy understand why the royal star dus .

can it be deleted ?

realey liked the bike exept for that silly thing.

ps how do they respond to bigger carbys the ones on the bike i rode seam to be smaller then the 1st gen ?

FWIW....in 1990 Yamaha went to digital ignition on the Venture (different TCI, pickup coil and rotor)

in the supplementary factory service manual outlines the changes from previous models

heres how digital ignition operation is described...

The following operations are digitally performed

by signal of the pickup coil:

1. determine proper ignition timing

2. Sensing the engine revolutions

3. Determining proper timing for switching on ignition coil (duty control)

4. Increasing ignition coil primary current for starting the engine.

5. Sensing engine stall

6. Preventing over- revolution of the engine.

I haven't ridden a bike without a rev limiter. RS set at 6500. Much more and you'll float the valves. Would need Vmax springs. Vmax is set at 9500 limit. I've hit it plenty of times on both bikes.

RS carbs are 32mm. Largest they used I think.

Edited by ACE50

There is no rev limiter on any Gen 1 Vmax

and as far as i can tell nun on a first gen venture ether

i regularly ride booth theas bikes way into the read line with no probs

so am at a los as to why the gen 2 is limited ?

Edited by hell yea

Note the model year of the quote.....it indicates Yamaha had rev limiter back in 1990 on the Venture.

I believe the Royal Stars had lighter valve springs than the 1st gens.

One reason for a conservative rev limiter on the RSV might have been the 5 year warranty.

Note sure what year Royal Star you were trying...the early 96 Royal Stars had 28 mm carbs

the Royal Star Venture 32 mm....think some of the folks here have swapped them out on the

early Royal Stars

Edited by Neil86

I have bumped off the rev limiter on my 96 but my 99 scares the hell out of me. It reved ans kepted going till I backed off. I was worried that like other parts of this bike the rev limiter may not be fully operational and I would blow valves trying to find the limiter

I have bumped off the rev limiter on my 96 but my 99 scares the hell out of me. It reved ans kepted going till I backed off. I was worried that like other parts of this bike the rev limiter may not be fully operational and I would blow valves trying to find the limiter

The rev limiter on my '99 RSV kicks in at about 46(indicated) in 1st, 66 in 2nd and 96 in 3rd. I have yet to find it in 4th or 5th. :confused24:

With the VMAX rear gears installed, you can subtract 4-5mph from those speeds.

My '98 RSTC rev limits at just about the same speeds as the stock geared RSV. It just doesn't get there quite as quick. :cool10:

I asked my friend with the VMAX if he had a dyna 3000 in it, as I was sure I had hit the rev limiter.

He said no, what the hell did I do when I rode it?

Crap, he my never let me ride it again......:confused24:

You just forgot to shift it into high gear.:rotf:

So I learned today that I do have a rev limiter contrary to my belief. I throttle stuck open as I almost dropped her in a parking lot.

If I didn't call enough attention with "whoa whoa WHOA" the. " yeng yeng yengyengyengyengyeng of the engine sure let people know I was in distress