IGNORED

Rear Shock Air Pressure

Guest CelticDude

Guest CelticDude

When the wife and I went for our first ride on the new bike, two things were apparent. I was not happy with low speed handling and she was not happy with the rear shock. For the second ride, I had discovered (through this site) that the rear shock was pneumatic and required pressure and I ordered the appropriate air pump. Since the range in the manual called for 0 - 57 psig. I decided to split the difference and go for 30 psig. It turned out to be a good decision because not only did it improve the low speed handling, it also greatly improved the ride. My question is, what is everyone else running from solo to fully loaded?

I run the leveling links. Solo I usually run 35 psi in the shock, but with two up and fully loaded I can exceed 550 lbs on the bike. Then I run 45 in the rear shock, and bump my tire pressure to 48 pounds in the rear (AVON Venom). Mamma likes 35 psi in the shock better, but I like the handling much better fully loaded with the higher pressure. I have tried it with the shock at max pressure and found the cornering to be jumpy, like the bike had a hinge in the middle.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the appropriat air pump for the rear shock?

When the wife and I went for our first ride on the new bike, two things were apparent. I was not happy with low speed handling and she was not happy with the rear shock. For the second ride, I had discovered (through this site) that the rear shock was pneumatic and required pressure and I ordered the appropriate air pump. Since the range in the manual called for 0 - 57 psig. I decided to split the difference and go for 30 psig. It turned out to be a good decision because not only did it improve the low speed handling, it also greatly improved the ride. My question is, what is everyone else running from solo to fully loaded?

7# front and 30# rear. I like 35 to 45 but the wife complains the ride is too rough. the bike handled better with higher press. until I put on the leveling links. When I pulled the trailor especially 2 up the pipes dragged in a lean or coming out of gas stations onto the highway and was better w\40 to 45 psi. Now I don't have to worry about. I agree the leveling links solved the low speed handling prob. and the pipes dragging. I was trying to find a way to raise the tailpipes or find smaller diameter pipes before the links. They are a must!!:thumbsup2:

• 10 months later...
Guest Chili 4x4

I am a big guy at 250. I run 50 psi in the rear shock single or 2 up. I keep the Dunlops aired up to the recommended pressure. What I really need is a suggestion about the front. At this time I have 0 psi and its ok except I seem to get a quite a bit of wobble if I'm "hurrying" at all through turns... Would airing up the fronts help with that, or am I just experiencing the big bike at its limit?...

It could be one or more of several things.

Head bearings loose. If you have a lift, put the bike on the lift so that the front tire is just off the ground. Gently swing the front end so that it just rebounds off the stops to the right and/or the left. It should rebound a bit and then stop. If it swings back and forth, they are too loose.

Tires. How many miles on the tires and what brand? If they have more than a few thousand miles on them, gently rub the palm of your hand along the edges and see if you can feel any cupping of the tread. Very common cause of what you are experiencing.

A little air in the front forks might help but probably not. If you don't have a manual pump, you should get one. The Progressive manual pump is really the only thing suitable for adjusting the air in the front. Do not try using a standard air hose because you could easily blow out the seals. The Progressive has a zero loss chuck and allows you to get them aired up equally. You could try 3 or 4 pounds and see if it helps.

Before I changed my front springs for something a bit stiffer, I ran 5-6 psi in the front forks all the time. Buy a good progressive pump, and a good air gauge. Make sure the pessure is the same in both of them. It makes a difference. The stock springs are too soft for the big guys. I know the bike has a reputation for a soft ride, rides like my dad's Buick. The air helps stiffen things up a bit and adds a progressive effect to the front springs. If you really want to tune things up for your weight think about some new springs. Sonic springs sells a couple of different weight springs for this bike. I went with the stiffest one they sell on my RSTD, but I'm as big by myself as many people are riding two up. If you need a guru to help you install them cantact Rick Butler. He is smarter than most about these bikes and can help for a reasonable price.

Best of luck.

Guest Chili 4x4

I have Dunlops with less than 500 miles on them. I will check the front end for excess movement tonite.. Thanks for the suggestions.

Chili,

Where do you keep your front tire pressure. I notice a slight wobble in the front, on corners, if the tire pressure is a bit low. I usually keep them aired to max sidewall. Also maybe want to check the head bearings for play and tightness.

Guest Chili 4x4

I usually keep the front at 38 psi.. ... This wobble is not an overly concerning deal for me... It really is only occurring as I push pretty hard through longer sweepers.. and even then its not overly disconcerting.. I have never experienced it with my pretty wife on board, but then I try to be civilized when she is with me.. She will give me a whack if I drag the boards too much, so I try to be a good samaritan.

Guest Chili 4x4

Just because of the low pressure.. 7 psi MAX... the tiny volume requires precision when adding air and taking the chuck off the valve

Ok, here is the stupid question of the day. :whistling:

I glanced at the nipples where you add air to the front shocks. They don't appear to be a schrader valve. So, is that why you have to buy a special pump?

I'm not sure what you are looking at. Mine are definitely schrader valves.

• 14 years later...

Hello everyone. I bought a 2006 Royal Star Touring Deluxe second hand last year. Great bike. The previous owner said he had replaced the rear shock absorber (over 800$ CDN) a few years ago due to a leak and I have the bill. While taking the wheels off to change the tires I decided to take off also the rear shock absorber and having a look at it because  my wife complained about the ride when sitting behind me. I put 30PSIG in it to verify if it was leaking and oil came out of the Schrader valve. Is this normal? 

11 hours ago, Noel Paquette said:

Hello everyone. I bought a 2006 Royal Star Touring Deluxe second hand last year. Great bike. The previous owner said he had replaced the rear shock absorber (over 800$ CDN) a few years ago due to a leak and I have the bill. While taking the wheels off to change the tires I decided to take off also the rear shock absorber and having a look at it because  my wife complained about the ride when sitting behind me. I put 30PSIG in it to verify if it was leaking and oil came out of the Schrader valve. Is this normal? 

Tighten the schrader core.