IGNORED

Urban Hunting with Psycho Dad

Dragonslayer

The back story:

During my recent Dr. induced staycation, the TV cable went out and all of my favorite channels disappeared. Being easily bored to tears. I put in a service request to the cable company and upon the serviceman's inspection he determined that the .... SQUIRRELS had gnawed the service drop... AGAIN bang%20head.gifbang%20head.gifbang%20head.gif

They have also been getting in the attic, chewing up whatever they can find and getting into the walls building nest. bang%20head.gifbang%20head.gifbang%20head.gifYou need to understand that my yard is infested with about a million of those little (FTTRB's) (fuzzy tailed, tree rat b@st@rds)

To make a short story longer, :backinmyday:I went out and purchased a Daisy 880 to assist in my resolution plan. Not being that adapt at lobbing BB's down the yard and being effective. I established some well conceived ambush points out of the bathroom, kitchen and bedroom windows. Placed bait at specific spots at the range the scope is dialed in on. Then started my mission. The total annihilation of all squirrels from my yard.

Now, before all of the animal activist chime in, let me point out the following points:

1. I never made secret of the fact that I am a licensed ethical hunter.

2. It is small game season here and there is a daily limit of 12 per day for squirrels.

3. And as far as I can determine there are no "Fair Chase" laws where squirrels are concerned. At least in this state. My YUPPIE neighbors may not agree.

Several times, while on staycation, my son came home from work to witness me running from window to window, with a demonic demeanor, wildly pumping the action and keeping tally on the dry erase board on the refrigerator.

It is probably a good thing the Dr. released me to go back to work.... For the SQUIRRELS

So, last week my son started singing this song,

:whistling:"who's the man with the loaded gun - got those SQUIRRELS on the run - going crazy just for fun - Psycho Dad, Psycho Dad...":whistling:

Make up add your own lyrics and/or comments.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Original submitted by Cowpuc:

Neighbors watchin with an evil stare:no-no-no:,,, why - Psycho Dad dont even care:fiddle:,,, tasty squirrel meat everywhere:cool10:,,,, Pyscho Dad:hihi:,,, Pyscho Dad:hihi:

Fry em up in a cast iron pan:witch_brew:,, we'll gobble em down as fast as we can:fatsmiley:,, Bob put a dent in the ol squirrel clan:thumbsup:,, Pyscho Dad:hihi:,, Pyscho Dad :hihi:

Well at least you have a hobby for when you retire!!!! If you feed the birds it just encourages them to hang around.

I've been in a running battle with them furry little ba$turds since I moved in here!!!! :stickpoke:

I usually enjoy watching the birds. We have several colorful song birds that live in our yard. We even have a nesting pair of Red Crested woodpeckers that I believe are on the endangered species list here in Georgia. I don't harass them and have placed bird houses around the yard to encourage them to stay.

I haven't really intentionally started feeding them but, I do notice they seem to enjoy the Squirrel bait. I do from time to time throw the Red Tailed Hawk a meal or two in hopes that he will hang out and start doing his job and assist me with my squirrel problem.

However, There is this one rather large, not necessarily attractive brown bird that lives in the hedge row along side of where we park the cars. This particular bird has made it a habit of targeting the door handles of mine and my son's car. He has also become very talented at hitting the wind shield on the drivers side right at eye level.

Did I mention that this is a rather large bird and therefor his missiles are somewhat larger than normal.This is not an occasional accident. This is a daily well planned and executed intentional attack by this bird.

He is now on my hit list.

Shinny clean cars don't stand a chance

While this bird lives at the fence

Retribution is close at hand and will be dispensed

Psycho Dad...... Psycho Dad

I have found that a 6" barreled .22 revolver loaded with shot shells works great on the FTTRB's , doesn't kill em right away, so they have time to go somewhere else & meet their maker. Also works good on hole digging chipmunks :thumbsup2:
There is a brand new 500k urban mansion that has just been built next door to my house. When the house was built the builder built a very attractive and neighborly wooden privacy fence along the property line.

I appreciate that because I do believe that good fences make for good neighbors. However, I managed to pop a SQUIRREL on the top of the fence that ran down the fence line about 2o yards before falling over in the neighbors back yard. Beyond retrieval range. I felt bad about that. For a minute.

check your local laws......In my town if you shoot a gun in city limilts they will find you and yes a bb gun is on that list. they even have written tickets to kids with paint ball guns.
Thus, the snipers nest inside the house out of view. Out of view, Out of mind.

I have found that a 6" barreled .22 revolver loaded with shot shells works great on the FTTRB's , doesn't kill em right away, so they have time to go somewhere else & meet their maker. Also works good on hole digging chipmunks :thumbsup2:
Thought about that but, the .22 cal report is probably too loud for my close neighbors.

I too had a FTTRB problem. They chewed a hole into my attic and got very comfortable before I noticed them.

I tried traps, baits, deterrents and a couple of companies that specialized in critter remediation. Nothing worked until I went to Bass Pro and bought a nice Ruger pellet rifle. It took a few weeks but problem solved. It’s against the law to discharge a fire arm here also and Shirley was very worried I'd get in trouble but I was out of options. It was either kill em or sign the deed over.

And no, I didn’t eat them. I don’t eat rodents.

First of all I like squirrels. I feed them all the time. Even raised a young baby orphan in the house which loved to ride around on my shoulder as I walked around the house.

But when I did my addition a family nicely took up residence in my attic (not related to my youngster). I even found a HOME SWEET HOME sign hanging on the wall when I went up to move them out:rotfl:

Using a firearm even a BB gun in a residential area is illegal here so I resorted to a sling shot using 3/8" dia steel balls I salvaged from old ball bearings. At first I was a pretty bad shot but boy did I get good in a very short time. I think one squirrel sitting on the ridge of my roof even sat there and laughed at me as My first two shots sailed by harmlessly. Not so when he toppled over with the third shot and landed dead on the other side of my house.

By the way I still feed them and love to feed them as long as they stay out of my attic.

In future issues, Raccoons in the garage, skunks under the shed, possums under the porch and that darn neighbours cat that sleeps on my motorcycle under the cover leaving fine scratches in my paint.

Edited by saddlebum

Thought about that but, the .22 cal report is probably too loud for my close neighbors.

That is not a problem around here, we have 3 outdoor gun clubs close by so everyone is used to gun shots and pays them no mind.

Its hard to make squirrel stew or pot pie if the main ingredient wanders off......:stirthepot:

The little buggers I pop are those little bug-eyed pests that chew holes in my facia and soffits to gain access to the attic, the larger species are not a bother and a few are actually like pets to me and eat right from our hand.

I had a big problem with a group of damaging grey squirrels. I tried the live traps because of my neighbor's feelings about them, but even when taken and released miles away, they seemed to find their way home.

I then went to an half of apple hollowed out filled with a glob of peanut butter. For a little flavor seasoning, I added rat poison mixed into the peanut butter.:shock3:

Worked real well. :sun:

I had a big problem with a group of damaging grey squirrels. I tried the live traps because of my neighbor's feelings about them, but even when taken and released miles away, they seemed to find their way home.

I then went to an half of apple hollowed out filled with a glob of peanut butter. For a little flavor seasoning, I added rat poison mixed into the peanut butter.:shock3:

Worked real well. :sun:

Not to rain on you. But a note of caution here is that there is no way of knowing were they end up when they die and a pet dog or cat can get seriously sick if they get hold of one. My Dogs will eat a squirrel, dead or fresh caught if they get hold of one.

Not to rain on you. But a note of caution here is that there is no way of knowing were they end up when they die and a pet dog or cat can get seriously sick if they get hold of one. My Dogs will eat a squirrel, dead or fresh caught if they get hold of one.
We had a Yorky one time that died that way... I've ruled out poison

Had a furry little varmint get into the control panel on our central air (not sure if it was a mouse or a munk) and chewed on the wiring,, compressor went to ground, took it apart and discovered that the thermal protection for the compressor (fuses) were freekin INTERNAL so now the compressor has to be replaced,, nasty little fur ball did 1900 bucks worth of damage!!!

Psycho Dad thinks its a conspiracy between the current Compressor manufactures and the varmints.. :backinmyday:

We used to have a bunch of them furry tree rats running around here. We have large trees in our back yard which seems to attract the varmints. Donna won't eat squirrel but we have a relative who lives fairly close and will take all the squirrel I can give him.

My open season on the tree rats are Wednesday's and Thursday's....that's the 2 days that Donna is not home. I use a pump pellet rifle on the little boogers....and I hardly ever miss no matter how high they are in the trees.

Boomer....who sez squirrel baked with taters, onions, and carrots iz a feast to chow down on....specially if ya have homemade biscuits to sop de gravy with.:cool10:

The only critters I send to a better place are groundhogs.

My home is built on stilts, and those ba%$#^&ds dig holes all around the foundation, and have gotten under the house, chewing wiring, tearing up insulation and such.

I live in the country, so I use a mini 14 to do the deed.

If you live in an area where you're not allowed to discharge a firearm, they do make subsonic .22 rounds that are pretty quiet, and very effective on something as small as a squirrel.

They're a bit more expensive, and not intended for target shooting, but rather for just the sort of problem you're having.

Happy hunting.:cool10: