IGNORED

Grands Canyon trip

russellvh

The wife and I are loading up the bike in June and heading for Arizona. We will be basing out of Flagstaff. The main purpose is to see the Grand Canyon and spend the necessary days riding around it. If you have any “favorite roads” or tips please let me know about them.

If you are in the area please let me know and possibly we can meet up. I have only been a member of this forum a very short time but I am very impressed with the family atmosphere and willingness to be there for each other. I wish I had joined a long time ago

Edited by russellvh

North on 89 will take you through Kanab and then you're close to Zion's National Park.

After Mesa Verde, you're close to Moab, Utah and Arches National Park, Canyonlands National Park and Dead Horse State Park. All are great places to visit.

Have a fantastic time!

Dave

Guest bodasefus

about 12 rus ago,,, I rode from SW Florida to Glendale, Az to visit a friend... while there,,, we took her van to the canyon as well as other places... Beautiful scenery everywhere... Almost made me climb to see atop of the mesas... I wanted to take the mule train down to the floor of the canyon but my friend was to heavy for the mules... They have a hidden ranch down there and would be a great place to spend a few days...

Enjoy

Russ

:bluesbrother:

The wife and I are loading up the bike in June and heading for Arizona. We will be basing out of Flagstaff. The main purpose is to see the Grand Canyon and spend the necessary days riding around it. If you have any “favorite roads” or tips please let me know about them.

If you are in the area please let me know and possibly we can meet up. I have only been a member of this forum a very short time but I am very impressed with the family atmosphere and willingness to be there for each other. I wish I had joined a long time ago

Coincidentally, we are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon (North Rim) in June as well.

I'll be following this thread.

If going to Grand Canyon North Rim in June you better have your reservations already. The lodge there will be booked solid from the day they open until they close for the season. Taking the mules into the canyon from the North Rim will only get you to Roaring Springs, not the bottom of the canyon. As far as staying overnight in the canyon, you will again need reservations! I have heard how beautiful it is in the canyon but have never seen it firsthand. I did however work at the North Rim for two years. First for the concessionaire, then for the National Park Service. Lots of hiking trails, beautiful scenery. It will be cool up there in June since summer arrives about July 2nd or 3rd, then fall arrives 4 or 5 days later. No long summer.You will enjoy it I'm sure.

Coincidentally, we are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon (North Rim) in June as well.

I'll be following this thread.

We will be in Flagstaff the week of the 15th. Staying there because of timeshare. Full week for about $100.00. Might be going to the north rim but haven't set schedule yet. If you will be there during same time possibly we can meet up for a lunch. Not sure yet about mules and / or rafting. Can't do the hiking. Too old, shot knees and too fat.:rotf:

If going to Grand Canyon North Rim in June you better have your reservations already. The lodge there will be booked solid from the day they open until they close for the season. Taking the mules into the canyon from the North Rim will only get you to Roaring Springs, not the bottom of the canyon. As far as staying overnight in the canyon, you will again need reservations! I have heard how beautiful it is in the canyon but have never seen it firsthand. I did however work at the North Rim for two years. First for the concessionaire, then for the National Park Service. Lots of hiking trails, beautiful scenery. It will be cool up there in June since summer arrives about July 2nd or 3rd, then fall arrives 4 or 5 days later. No long summer.You will enjoy it I'm sure.

Yeah, I am discovering the reservation thing for the North Rim. Even the campgrounds are filling fast. Some are full already. I tried to make a reservation for NP campground in February, but the site wouldn't allow the reservation process to continue because my selected date was more than 90 days out. When I waited until the first part of March to try again, I find most of the campground is reserved already!

Guest Swifty
Taking the mules into the canyon from the North Rim will only get you to Roaring Springs, not the bottom of the canyon.

I've visited the north rim in late August for the last 3 years. I love the area. Last year I was keen enough to reserve a cabin and enjoy the area in luxury. The previous two times were camping. Even if you don't reserve a campsite in the park there is a rough-site campground or two outside the gate. I've hiked the North Kaibab each time from the North Rim to Roaring Springs, a somewhat strenuous day hike for those middle aged in moderate shape. The difficult part is obviously the trip back up in the heat. As far as I've seen the mules do not go down anywhere near Roaring Springs. Each time I've been there I've always seen the mule rides turn around at the Supai Tunnel, which is only 2 miles down. The hike is described here...

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/day-hiking.htm

Russellvh,

Make sure you take this day ride. From Flagstaff, take I-17 south from I-40 for about 9 miles. Then take the Hwy 89A exit and ride 89A down to Sedona, Az. This is a very popular and Beautiful motorcycle ride with awesome sweepers and twisties and stunning views. Sedona is a cool town sitting among amazing red rock formations and bluffs. There is a popular church built into the side of a mountain that is a must see. Don't end your journey in Sedona. It is a must to keep riding south on 89A down through the valley town of Cottonwood and then up 89A over the mountain heading toward Prescott. On top of that mountain is an old mining town named Jerome. It is a motorcycle mecca. Ride past the town over the mountain for some awesome riding, and then turn around and come back to Jerome for shops and good eats. Then head back to Flagstaff either by 89A, or run over to I-17 and take it north.

You won't regret taking a day and doing this ride.