IGNORED

Compare EBC organic brake shoes to Kevlar brake shoes

camos

I tried the Kevlar on a 1st gen and wasn't happy with how they felt. They didn't seem to have the stopping power I get with say the EBC HH. If it was organic or Kevlar, I would have to say organic.

I don't recall if the EBC shoes I found were HH, seems to me they were only described as organic. I too have EBC organic HH pads on my 1st gen and have been very happy with how they work. Don't recall ever hearing anything about how well Kevlar brakes work.

Thanks Squidley, gotta take a closer look at what is available.

The harder the brake material the more pressure that must be applied to achieve the same amount of friction. I prefer organics, however they do wear faster and create dust.

The Kevlars (and ceramics) last longer and have much less dust but require more braking effort.

Depends on what you want I guess. Given the touchy nature of the rear brakes on some bikes maybe Kevlars wouldn't be a bad thing on the back.

As far as I know the rear brake shoes on my Virago have never been changed so they are probably nothing special, whatever comes stock. EBC does not make an HH sintered shoe so Aramid or Kevlar seem to be the only options. Decided to go with Vesrah VB-230 Organic Brake Shoes which are the Aramid ones. Don't know anything about the Vesra brand but they say they are for racing so should perform well enough for my commuting use.

Thanks to all who responded and helped me make my decision.