IGNORED

Thinking about trading in the RSV for RSTD

Ventureless

I love the RSV, but have realized the only real reason I needed it was for the radio. I don’t care about the rest of the fairing. As big as I am, I honestly get as much protection from wind and rain with a tall, wide windshield. The fairing also seems to make any maintenance on the front end more of a pain in the ass. And as far as the trunk goes, it is empty 98% of the time I ride. If I really need more storage for the 1 or 2 trips I take each year, I can get a luggage rack and mount an aftermarket trunk or get a used RSV trunk to use. And I usually ride solo. My wife rides occasionally but it is just into town and that is about it. Same with my son. So a passenger backrest is all that is really needed. I love the motor on these bikes and want to stick with it.

My RSV is a 1999 with 80K + miles. I found a 2008 RSTD with 19K miles for $6K. It seems like a good deal and is a good looking bike form the pics. I can add an aftermarket radio for some tunes like I did on my old Vstar 1100 and I should be good to go.

Any thoughts on going in this direction? I am sure most people go the other way from the RSTD to the RSV.

I sold my RSV for a RSTD and glad I did. I think it looks better, didn't need all the other stuff cause the wife wouldn't ride anyway. Love the Q.D. windshield and backrest as it allows me to change it up when I want. Can't do that with a RSV!

I have both. For local commute and most in-state solo riding I use the RSTD.

For distance, or any two up, or cold or rainy days, I use the RSV.

In my last two years, I am seeing about two to one on RSV miles over RSTD miles, mainly because any trips or group rides with wife, I take the RSV.

Mike G

EDIT: I never use the entertainment center on the RSV.

Edited by Mike G in SC

I love the motor on these bikes and want to stick with it.

My RSV is a 1999 with 80K + miles. I found a 2008 RSTD with 19K miles for $6K. It seems like a good deal and is a good looking bike form the pics.

I've thought about it over the years also...... But at 100K.... I just got the RSV broke-in. You never use the CB or headsets....every time I see you, your bags are full but Like you said the Trunk is empty..... your Father-in-law has a nice radio set-up on his v-star get one like his...... I say GO FOR IT

I wonder is the RSTD is less Top Heavy then the RSV...

I've thought about it over the years also...... But at 100K.... I just got the RSV broke-in. You never use the CB or headsets....every time I see you, your bags are full but Like you said the Trunk is empty..... your Father-in-law has a nice radio set-up on his v-star get one like his...... I say GO FOR IT

I wonder is the RSTD is less Top Heavy then the RSV...

To me the RSTD was less top heavy and way easier to maneuver in town.

I have put many miles on both bikes and have seriously thought about having an RSTD for local riding. You have mentioned about not using the RSV to it's fullest extent. If it were my decision to make based on what you have posted, I would grab the RSTD and not look back....

:2cents:

Hey you guys,, is the "blown shock syndrome" that I have heard mentioned a number of times more predominate on one or the other (RSTD vrs RSV)??

mechanically the 2 bikes are the same, including the shocks.

That said, the RSTD is 50lbs lighter and the avg RSTD rider is less likely to ride 2 up pulling a trailer. So, for those reasons, there are probably fewer blown shocks on RSTD's

I owned both an RSV and RSTD. I mostly ride solo. I decided to sell the RSV for the reasons outlined by the OP

Well hopefully I will get up there tomorrow to look at the RSTD. With my cold and the crappy rain, I decided not to go today. I am still going back and forth about it in my head. Pretty sure I am leaning towards the RSTD though.

As far as top heaviness, I am a pretty big guy and can pretty much man handle any bike with ease. Hell some have said that I even make the RSV look small. So pretty much anything less than the RSV seems like a moped to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well screw it. Common sense (and my cheapness) finally kicked in. I am just going to keep my RSV. It is paid for and I am used to it. It is also cheaper for me to fix it up the way that I really want it than get a new bike all together. I am however going to start removing things to go the Star Glide route. I have poured over any info I have found on this site and figured out what I am going to do. I found one gentleman who removed the trunk, but left the trunk rack and added a diamond plate and a luggage rack to it. That is my perfect solution. I am going to remove all the cb stuff since it does not get used and add an antenna inside the fairing. The only thing I would like to add is a passenger backrest somehow for when the wife or my son wants to hop on.

I went the other way and most of my riding is solo and local. few group rides or GF along trips but do partake of both on a regular basis.

The main reason is I had an 86 venture royale and missed it, the 96 is/was a great bike and still in the family. For me however the RSV is the bike to use! I think its as easy to handle as the RSTD was

Well screw it. Common sense (and my cheapness) finally kicked in. I am just going to keep my RSV. It is paid for and I am used to it. It is also cheaper for me to fix it up the way that I really want it than get a new bike all together. I am however going to start removing things to go the Star Glide route. I have poured over any info I have found on this site and figured out what I am going to do. I found one gentleman who removed the trunk, but left the trunk rack and added a diamond plate and a luggage rack to it. That is my perfect solution. I am going to remove all the cb stuff since it does not get used and add an antenna inside the fairing. The only thing I would like to add is a passenger backrest somehow for when the wife or my son wants to hop on.

ROCK AND ROLL BUMBLE BEE!!! Sounds like a perfect solution! They are both GORGEOUS bikes stock but I still think there is NOTHING like personalization of a scoot to give em soul and make em REALLY special!!! :backinmyday:

:080402gudl_prv: and PLEASE DONT FORGET TO TAKE PICS OF THE PROCESS/RESULTS!!

I have a like Q.R passenger backrest for sale if your looking.

Bob

I have a like Q.R passenger backrest for sale if your looking.

Bob

Sent you a PM!!

At least I think I did. I tried twice and my pc and wifi connection are acting up and I keep getting cut off. Let me know if you didn't get it. If not you should be able to email me through my profile. I am interested in the backrest.

Edited by Ventureless