IGNORED

Hog hunting at the 2014 IR

Red1

Since the 2014 IR is going to be in Guntersville, AL - I thought I might take a day and go hog hunting ~ something I don't get to do in WI. I mentioned this in the 2014 International Rally (IR) thread and there seemed to be some others that may also be interested in doing a hunt.

So I copied the info from that thread and started this one so those that are might also want to do some hog hunting have a spot to coordinate info. Here's what we got so far.

From Brake Pad :

The Parks department gave me this company's information on the boar hunting.

Mann Mountain Outfitters

Address: 1670 Fairview Dr, Horton, AL 35980

Phone: (256) 298-1442

they are some 20 miles away.

As far as a firearm is concerned you will be able to use:

· Rifles of any caliber

· Handguns or pistols

· Shotguns, 10 gauge or smaller

· Long bows, compound bows, or crossbows

From me:

In AL you only need a small game license for boar. Non-resident 3 day small game license is $42.60 and does NOT include deer and turkey. The All Game hunting licence includes deer and turkey.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/licenses/huntlicinfo/

Here's some more info - http://www.huntwildpig.com/state-specifics/alabama/

AL considers feral hogs a game animal and as such, a license is required even on private land. You also need a WMA permit ($16) if you are hunting on public land.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SO - if we have any AL members that hog hunt, know a farmer that wants some hogs removed, knows a guide or can provide any additional info or help on making this ho hunt happen - share it here, please.

Otherwise, I'll make calls and scour the web for info and post it in this thread. Anyone else that might want to join me, post here as well. I'm thinking a location within a max. 100 miles of Guntersville would be fine, closer is better.

That should keep the Topic Police happy and return the 2014 IR thread to it's original purpose.

Stay tuned and zeroed in. :thumbsup2:

Now this sounds interesting.

The only part I am not sure of is how to get the meat home on a bike and keep it properly cooled.:think:

I thought about that, too. I can skin and quarter it. If we can find a local butcher shop (some place guys take deer for processing) ~ we can get it frozen. If it's frozen in big chunks (hams, front shoulder, etc) then put it in a cooler - it should easily stay frozen for the 2 day ride home. I also thought about lining my trailer with 1.5" foam and making it into a big cooler as an option.

I thought about that, too. I can skin and quarter it. If we can find a local butcher shop (some place guys take deer for processing) ~ we can get it frozen. If it's frozen in big chunks (hams, front shoulder, etc) then put it in a cooler - it should easily stay frozen for the 2 day ride home. I also thought about lining my trailer with 1.5" foam and making it into a big cooler as an option.

And you can use dry ice as well if you can find a local supplier

Hang it off the back end. The way those bikes smoke it would be cured before you got out of state...:rotfl:

I don't know if tire smoke is the best smoke for curring pork.......and since I have a 1st gen, it will not take long to get out of state......:rasberry:

BUT since Red1 mentioned that there would be Hog hunting, there may be a few Hogs right at the resort to use for target practice.......:stirthepot:

Just thinking out loud here....

I suppose it might be possible to de-bone it and get all or most of it into a cooler, I know I can get a whole de-boned deer into my cooler.:think:

I never even thought to try a MC hunting trip.

The resort that we are staying at may also have some local hunting info to share with their guests, as well as possibly have or know of a freezer and/or butcher to cool down the meat for a guest.

It would be easy to remove the topper from my trailer down there to have a flat bed to hall the beast back to camp on. Once back at camp it would not take long for a couple of guys to butcher it up and get it into a cooler.

I would probably hunt with hand guns just because they are easier to transport on a bike.

I don't know if tire smoke is the best smoke for curring pork.......and since I have a 1st gen, it will not take long to get out of state......:rasberry:

BUT since Red1 mentioned that there would be Hog hunting, there may be a few Hogs right at the resort to use for target practice.......:stirthepot:

Just thinking out loud here....

I suppose it might be possible to de-bone it and get all or most of it into a cooler, I know I can get a whole de-boned deer into my cooler.:think:

As long as you don't shoot a 400 pounder, eh?

I never even thought to try a MC hunting trip.

The resort that we are staying at may also have some local hunting info to share with their guests, as well as possibly have or know of a freezer and/or butcher to cool down the meat for a guest.

I think we should find a place before we go. Input from AL locals would be helpful here.

It would be easy to remove the topper from my trailer down there to have a flat bed to hall the beast back to camp on. Once back at camp it would not take long for a couple of guys to butcher it up and get it into a cooler.

I'm betting the resort my frown on having a couple hogs butchered right there on the lawn. And I know they CANNOT mix USDA inspected meat used to feed the guests with wild game. That's a no-no.

I would probably hunt with hand guns just because they are easier to transport on a bike.

My AR-15 will lay nice and comfy in the bottom of the trailer. Along with the Governor.

Lots of details to work out - plenty of time to do it.

My AR-15 will lay nice and comfy in the bottom of the trailer. Along with the Governor.
I was thinking a handgun in 7mm-08 for a long shot with a .50 cal handgun for close work.

Of course if we do butcher that 400 pounder at the resort, I'll bet that some grills will show up quick enough so that the remainder will fit into a cooler, or lunch bag......:whistling:

I was thinking a handgun in 7mm-08 for a long shot with a .50 cal handgun for close work.

Of course if we do butcher that 400 pounder at the resort, I'll bet that some grills will show up quick enough so that the remainder will fit into a cooler, or lunch bag......:whistling:

Mmmmm. Bacon........... & Pork loin, smoked ham & shoulder roast.......:thumbsup2: A spanferkel at the resort? :happy65:

Who makes a handgun in 7mm-08, I want one of those. Great rifle calibor based on the .308 cartridge. :whistling::whistling:

Couldnt you do a "Weekend at Bernies" by tying the hog to the back seat and propping it up with the antennas? Put some lipstick on it and well............thats all im saying......:smile5:

I'd prefer to knock an arrow. I would just quarter it out , loins, hams and shoulders would fit in a cooler. Ice it down to cool and then repack with dry ice and should be fine for the return trip.

Sounds like a workable plan. Gotta get the hog first, of course. Dry ice can be hard to find sometimes - if you can find someone down there that carries it - post it here.

I was hoping we'd get some 'bama Venture riders to jump in here with some local intel, but it kinda looks like we may be planning this from the north. I'll do some digging & make some calls after Labor Day. Local wildlife officers can be a lot of help and info . Here's a link to the public hunting areas in AL (WMA's)

http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting/land/wildlife-areas/wmamaps/

And here's a .pdf on Hunting Feral Hog on the WMA's - worth a read.

http://www.outdooralabama.com/outdoor-alabama/hogwild.pdf

Anybody gets any info - post it.

Oh......hog as in pig hunting.......for a minute I was stupped at the desire to hunt down HD's:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

:322:

No need to hunt down HD's, just wait for them to die at the side of the road. :stickpoke:

Who says Canucks heve no sense of humor?:whistling: