IGNORED

Saddlesore 1000

Freebird

OK folks, here is my plan. I am going to order new handlebars on Monday. I will install them next weekend. Hopefully the following weekend, I plan to do a Saddlesore 1000. No other reason than because I just want to.

I plan to leave Oberlin, OH sometime on Friday and ride to Florida. From my house to the Florida border is about 980 miles so I'll go a bit further into Florida and make sure that I cover the miles needed.

I'll then get a few hours of rest and then head back home. Probably spend the night somewhere on the way back on Saturday and then get back home on Sunday.

If any of you are interested in trying this with me then you are welcome to do so. Here's the thing though, we can ride together but if you break down, I want to be able to keep going and make this trip. If I break down, I expect you to do the same thing.

I'm thinking that it may be best to do this alone but I'm open to suggestions.

Don,

I might suggest you also do a BunBurner 1500. It is 1500 in 36 hours. It is good for two things. First, if you complete the SS1k, it is a piece of cake to do the BB1500. Second, if you find you can't safely complete the SS1k, it is still a goal to complete an Iron Butt ride.

Any way about it, go onto the Iron Butt Association website and read the Archive of Wisdom.

http://www.ironbutt.com/tech/aow.cfm

Have a great time.

RR

Don what route are you taking? If you plan to take I-75 to Fl and need a stop in Middle GA for a refresher stop I live 10 mins off the interstate in Warner Robins, you can easily grab a hot meal, nap and shower at my house any time of day. And there should be room in the garage to hide...err park the bike :) PM me or call if you want make a stop.

Did mine last year. Ann Arbor Michigan to Knoxville Tenn and back. Round trip from was 1065 miles. Left at 7am on a Saturday morning, had dinner in Knoxville and made it home at 4:45am Sunday morning. No sleep, just a nice long ride for dinner. I want to get a Bun Burner 1500 together for next year. Max of 4 riders. Too many and you end up waiting on someone and won't make the time. Have fun, I enjoyed doing mine.

Yea Either do the 1500 or do the 1000 by going 550, log the turn around and mark it with a receipt and even better a witness but not needed. And come back. That way if you have to work you won't be a zombie.

Im with ya on the break down thing, thats the way its got to be. I did mine solo and a few two up but never in a group. I think that would certainly chew at your odds.

I would be up to doing it, What bike you doing it on so I know if I should bring some SAE tools. :rotf::confused24:

OK folks, here is my plan. I am going to order new handlebars on Monday. I will install them next weekend. Hopefully the following weekend, I plan to do a Saddlesore 1000. No other reason than because I just want to.

I plan to leave Oberlin, OH sometime on Friday and ride to Florida. From my house to the Florida border is about 980 miles so I'll go a bit further into Florida and make sure that I cover the miles needed.

I'll then get a few hours of rest and then head back home. Probably spend the night somewhere on the way back on Saturday and then get back home on Sunday.

If any of you are interested in trying this with me then you are welcome to do so. Here's the thing though, we can ride together but if you break down, I want to be able to keep going and make this trip. If I break down, I expect you to do the same thing.

I'm thinking that it may be best to do this alone but I'm open to suggestions.

I would not do it alone if I had a trusty second rider with a trusty bike.

Keep me apprised of your plans. I live 5 miles off of I75 at exit 90A, 4 miles off of I75 at exit 87. I'd love to make that run with you. I earned a BB and a SS when i went out to visit Utahventure, and I feel the need to ride some more miles. it is roughly 1250 from here to Lake City Fla and back, easy ride if traffic is light

It is roughly 325 miles from Richmond to your place, staying Richmond might make your mileage work good for you.

Be safe and have a great trip.

A friend on his Valkyrie and I on the MM did 1140 miles in 20 hours a few years ago. Had a lot of fun. He turned his paperwork. Somehow, I forgot to turn in mine. Guess I'll have to do it again, but go for the 1500 miles in 36 hours one. I loved the experience.

I think I remember the association recommending to do like 1050 or 1080 motorcycle odo miles to account for any error. With gps keeping up with the miles these days, that may not be a problem.

Looking to see a report when you get back.

I'm really not sure yet what the mileage per tank is. The Ultra has a 6 gallon tank. The only highway miles I have done was riding two up and pulling a heavily loaded trailer. I averaged 36 to 38 MPG on that trip riding usually 75 miles per hour and a bit faster at times.

I'm thinking that riding one up without the trailer that I should get in the 45 MPG range. Just don't know yet.

Have you decided on a route and turn point?

Down 58 to 71 to Cincinnati to 75 South would run you by me, and if allowed i'd run to the turnaround and back with you.

Down 77 to Columbia and26 to 95 would be a great route too, up and down lost of hills, likely less traffic until you hit Charlotte, then it'll be wall to wall all the way to Jacksonville and back.

Once you decide please advise, if i am going to ride along I need to finish up my aux tank so I can go another 150 miles too.

I'm really not sure yet what the mileage per tank is. The Ultra has a 6 gallon tank. The only highway miles I have done was riding two up and pulling a heavily loaded trailer. I averaged 36 to 38 MPG on that trip riding usually 75 miles per hour and a bit faster at times.

I'm thinking that riding one up without the trailer that I should get in the 45 MPG range. Just don't know yet.

Don,

I did 1015 miles on a 24 hour rental of a Road Glide Ultra last year. Yes, the dealer was quite surprised. However, at 70 to 75 mph, I was getting about 44 mpg IIRC.

If you have an Airhawk, take it with you. You will need it for your tailbone (assuming you still have the stock seat). You may want to also take some beads and a sheepskin. I used all 3 at different times on my run.

I was pleasantly surprised with the road manners of the HD. Handled nicely and had plenty of power. The 6th gear only seems to come into play after about 70 mph. It causes vibrations below that. Don't think I would ever own one though. But, we shall see. Lots of riding years left - I hope.

I did not turn in any paperwork for this Harley run. Got enough certificates on the wall.

RR

Hey, Don

My brother in law and I made pretty much the same trip two weeks ago. The weather was nice down and back. No rain at all. The only problem was the heat from Charlotte to Clearwater - New Port Richey area.

The only bad road was on RT 26 W on the way home. They have that side of the road milled down for a new surface. It wouldn't have been too bad on 26, but between the rough surface and the 115 degree heat index it started to get on my nerves after a while.

The RSV ran and road great down and back without hiccup. I was actually a little disappointed when getting closer to home that the ride was almost over. Total miles on the trip was around 2,300 miles.

Have a safe ride, Don

Mark