IGNORED

Idle is way high and doesn't want to adjust

JohnT

Well, while pulling plastic to clean and repair my brake fluid leakage damage to plastic I either dislocated the vacuum hose to the air box, or it was never hooked up to begin with. So I found the nipple on the air box and hooked the hose to it. Now the bike idles at 2500 RPM or so and no matter what direction I turn the throttle stop screw it only goes higher? :confused24:

I'm lost. Any guidance is appreciated. And if there is any information I can give to help with advice, just let me now what you need to know.

Thanks in advance.

So, just went out and started the bike to take another crack at idle adjustment. Now it won't idle, idles low unless I apply throttle. WTHeck? If the carbs were "synched and adjusted" with the vacuum line to the air box unhooked would that mess up the adjustment. (now that the line is connected it started idling badly)

Car synch and adjustment was dome by the same dealer I never went back to due to iffy idling and an over filled oil change last year if that might matter.

Worst case scenario I may have to try the other Yamaha dealer that is local. I want to ride sometime soon,,,,,

are you sure you are adjusting the idle? on the left side is a sync screw, underneath that is the idly adjusting nut. it is difficult to see, you have to look from underneath.

bang%20head.gifbang%20head.gifbang%20head.gif[

Nuff said? Oh well, it's only :mo money: right? So I guess I best get it in for a carb synch now. Seeing as I have been back and forth with that synch screw like a mad man.

On the bright side. The more I tinker the more I feel like tinkering. Now if I can just learn as I go it will all be good.

The screw I was turning was just to the right of the "cam" the throttle cable attaches to. I assume, now, that that is the synch screw for the rear carb?

Edited by JohnT
replaced the quote bracket I accidently removed

Hey John,

You are NOT the first owner of a First Gen. to discover that you were turning the wrong screw, my friend! I live in Central PA. and would be more than happy to Sync your Carbs.

for you at NO charge. I am not exactly sure where you are located in NY but I have gone to the Cheffy area many times, and it was a nice day ride. If you are willing to take a ride, I am willing to set your bike up for you. We could even burn a burger while we are at it. My zip is 16635. If you find you are in riding distance, please feel free to PM me and I will give you my address and cell phone number. Either way, good luck with this project!

:thumbsup2:

Earl

Hey guys, just got up for work. Woke up a 3:15, about 45 minutes early. I got to thinking that I was about 1 turn or so counter clockwise so when I put my cooler in the car I went into the shed and turned the screw about a turn clockwise. :fingers-crossed-emo I was never so happy to have my bike idle at 2300 ever before. So I then got it down to about 1000, this time using the throttle stop instead of a synch screw.

It still smells a bit rich but now with the vacuum line attached to the air box (which I guess it wasn't before) I have to assume they need to be adjusted and or synched.

Skydoc, thanks for the offer and I just may take you up on it. I'd like to start meeting other VR riders. Your zip is just a bit west of an area I drove through week after week for almost 1 1/2 years. Lancaster to York to Harrisburg then up to Muncy on my way back to home. Every time I drove up 15 I wished I were on my bike instead of a 26' box truck. I deliver to A.C. Moore stores. Now I'm off to Mass., N.H., R.I., Conn. and back home Wednesday.

Thanks guys.

Edited by JohnT
changed 100 to 1000

First off, reddevilmedic and skydoc, thanks for the guidance and the very kind offer to synch the carbs and feed me ta-boot. It would be a 7 hour ride each way and the other Yamaha dealer in my area got me right in. I dropped it off, walked to my D.O.T. physical, and it was ready when I walked back in. I will happily take you up on a burger sometime though skydoc.

All I can figure is that it was never, never right when done by the other dealer. The dealer that over filled my oil when they did the oil change may not have noticed the loose vacuum line. Run different?:cool10: As in there is now a very thin black stripe across almost 4 lanes of an intersection in Watertown NY. No clutch help, just right wrist. It has never, and I mean never run as good as it does right now. Am I dreaming? Or can these things pull the front wheel?

:stirthepot: 2nd Gen riders take heart. Any of us 1st Gen folk will be happy to show you this level of performance.:whistling:

so, just went out and started the bike to take another crack at idle adjustment. Now it won't idle, idles low unless i apply throttle. Wtheck? If the carbs were "synched and adjusted" with the vacuum line to the air box unhooked would that mess up the adjustment. (now that the line is connected it started idling badly)

car synch and adjustment was dome by the same dealer i never went back to due to iffy idling and an over filled oil change last year if that might matter.

Worst case scenario i may have to try the other yamaha dealer that is local. I want to ride sometime soon,,,,,

try seafoam

Just so you know, that 'vacuum line' is just an air box drain line, in case you get too much oil in the air box from overfilling the crankcase. Has no real effect on the immediate running of the engine.

A fairly fat line that goes from the corner of the airbox to a fitting out of the base between the front and rear cylinders? The same fitting has another line that goes up, over and between the rear cylinders.

Then I don't get it. I shut it down running fine. (Well I thought fine. It really rocks now compared to before.) Found that hose while fixing the plastic. Bike hadn't been running. When I fired it, 2500 RPM idle.

Wouldn't be the first time that I "whacked" something whilst fixing something else though.

John, take a look at this. It was a factory issued mod for the two lines off the bottom of the airbox.

The small drain line off the corner of the airbox was cut and attached with a "T" to the larger breather hose from the crankcase.

Ended the drip drip from the drain line and eliminated the line running down the left side of the bike.