IGNORED

Anyone have "little known secrets" about 2nd Gen

VentureFar

I just discovered, thanks to friends on the this forum, that I can fold down the antennas to put a cover on. Took me till my third week of ownership to see the pull to talk switch for the CB ( don't use it but didn't know it was there ). How to get that warning sticker off the gas tank -? Thanks again to this forum - hairdryer and fingernails with goo gone.

Like - what is the plastic box held on with rubber bands under my Trunk?

Like - anyone rewire the CB trigger switch to open their garage door?

Like - Mikewa told me - let the wife get on the bike while it is on the KickStand

What do you know that some of the rest of us new to 2nd Gen don't know?

Thanks all!

PS- nothing is "too obvious".

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just discovered, thanks to friends on the this forum, that I can fold down the antennas to put a cover on.

Well don't feel to bad.

I bought my 2005 from the original owner in April this year. I knew the antennas folded but had not seen it done. So I asked him about it when I picked up the bike. He told my they don't fold! I asked him how you put a cover on it then? And he told me you just tuck the cover on the inside of the antennas!!!!?

I didn't have the heart to tell him he was wrong.

1st thing I did when I got it home was figure out how they fold.

I'm sure there are things I'm going to learn from you asking this question....So thanks.

Took me a year to find out i had a clock on the bike. A friend asked me why i had stuck a cheap dollar store clock on the dash, when i had a clock on the bike already....:o

Showed me how to get to it...Hold down the odometer reset button for 3 or 4 secs and you get the clock display.:bang head:

Then there is the one on how to set cruise without the bike slowing down and then jerking to get the speed up again. I will let someone else explain this one. :beer:

Then there is the one on how to set cruise without the bike slowing down and then jerking to get the speed up again. I will let someone else explain this one. :beer:

There is a way not to do this???:bang head: OK somebody speak-up????:confused24:

Then there is the one on how to set cruise without the bike slowing down and then jerking to get the speed up again. I will let someone else explain this one,

I'll take the easy one... hold the "set" button down for a couple seconds and release to set the speed.

1st Gen's might be a little faster... but at least the 2nd Gens were made in THIS century !

Other tidbits...

- headlight adjuster for up/down is knob on back of the left side of the fairing

- headlight adjuster for left/right is a threaded rod on back of the right side of the fairing

- left side of bike below riders seat is a round plastic cover. Take that off and you can install an accessory (cigarette lighter) outlet (wired with fuse to battery is great for using a compressor)

- U.S. bikes have mph on upper side of speedometer and lcd panel displays km/hr. Canadian bikes only show km/hr on upper side of speedometer and lcd panel only has the "needle"

- need to remove gas tank to change spark plugs

- trunk can be moved back about an inch to give passenger a little more room

Edited by XV1100SE

How to get that warning sticker off the gas tank -? Thanks again to this forum - hairdryer and fingernails with goo gone.

Forget the fingernails .... use a nylon putty spreader ... the kind you'd get for smearing bondo onto a vehicle.

Also, you can use WD40 instead of goo-gone.

12 volt aux plug ... many "nubes" don't know it exists ... it's inside fairing, left side, down a ways (almost hidden).

If you are following a group at night, you can turn off the passing lamps (if they are bugging the riders in front).

There is a small push button in the fairing, near the 12V outlet on the left. Oh, and there is a 12V outlet on the left in the fariing,,, near the little button.

You can move the trunk and passenger back rest back one inch if desired. Takes little time or knowhow. Just pull the screws and slide it back. You will need 4 longer bolts with nugs. Watch out about the communication cable under the passenger seat, it may pop loose. (this is probably written up in TECH). (oh,,,,, already noted above.)

If you have daytime glare in your windshield from the gas cap, cover it.

I had a fancy gas cap cover, someone stole it. Now I have a cut up sock on it.

No one steals the sock!

Edited by Mike G in SC

These are great! Keep it up. I am learning - clock? who knew :confused24:

What size fuse ( for compressor) and is the drain to much or is there a time limit since small compressors take a long time to fill a tire ?

left side of bike below riders seat is a round plastic cover. Take that off and you can install an accessory (cigarette lighter) outlet (wired with fuse to battery is great for using a compressor)

Forget the fingernails .... use a nylon putty spreader ... the kind you'd get for smearing bondo onto a vehicle.

Also, you can use WD40 instead of goo-gone.

12 volt aux plug ... many "nubes" don't know it exists ... it's inside fairing, left side, down a ways (almost hidden).

The 12 volt aux plug inside fairing only has 5 amp fuse. Will blow if you try to use a mini compressor or anything with big amp draw.

Fuses are located in lower right side cowling.

There are many articles in the Tech Talk section under Second Generation that will give you lots of good tips on how to do fixes, upgrades, etc. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Also check out Tech Library Second Generation

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

You can't just run a jack under the bike and pick it up. You need something to adapt the bike frame to the jack. CarbonOne on this site has a dandy with legs. I have one and highly recommend it. You can just use some blocks of wood in a pinch.

There is an Operators Manual and a Service Manual somewhere on this site if you did not get one with your bike.

When you lose the shifter bolt, there is an extra one on your side cover you can use to get back on the road again. Carry a set of metric allan wrenches in your saddle bag.

Use some blue locktite on every bolt you can get at. Especially the shifter bolt and rear fender bolts.

When you lose the shifter bolt, there is an extra one on your side cover you can use to get back on the road again. Carry a set of metric allan wrenches in your saddle bag.

Use some blue locktite on every bolt you can get at. Especially the shifter bolt and rear fender bolts.

The bolts that hold the plastic piece around the ignition are the same size and you don't have to remember which of the bolts on the battery cover are fake.

Locktite SOME of the bolts but none that are near the ABS plastic. As posted here before, Locktite will eat away at your plastic.

The little screws holding the hinge for your trunk lid work loose. Pop the cover off (one screw holds it on) the hinge and tighten the screws occasionally. As noted in my previous post.... do not use Locktite on these screws since it is close to the ABS plastic.

Couple people can't get their trunk lids to open to a full vertical position. Some lids won't go beyond a 60 degree angle (or so). I know some people have fixed this and hopefully they will post how.

The 12 volt aux plug inside fairing only has 5 amp fuse. Will blow if you try to use a mini compressor or anything with big amp draw.

Fuses are located in lower right side cowling.

The aux plug under the drivers seat is a strange plug. I did't bother tying into it. I put in a cigarette lighter (non-marine that hasn't had any problems in 2 years even in heavy rain) and with in-line fuse directly to the battery. You could run it thru a fuse block.

I don't recall... but think the fuse I used was 10A.

These are great! Keep it up. I am learning - clock? who knew :confused24:

What size fuse ( for compressor) and is the drain to much or is there a time limit since small compressors take a long time to fill a tire ?

left side of bike below riders seat is a round plastic cover. Take that off and you can install an accessory (cigarette lighter) outlet (wired with fuse to battery is great for using a compressor)

Whatever fuse a cigarette lighter uses...15 amp?? That is a cigarette lighter not just a accessory plug in. I did mine with a 15 amp so I wont blow the thing using compressor.

But a small flat fuse block and it will fit right under your seat by the battery. Sure makes accessory adding neater and easier.

Couple people can't get their trunk lids to open to a full vertical position. Some lids won't go beyond a 60 degree angle (or so). I know some people have fixed this and hopefully they will post how.

get rid of that ridiculous ratcheting mechanism also known as a whatchamacallit .... useless POS :stirthepot:

I don't think I've ever seen where someone has adapted a small gas strut in place of that .... but seems to me to be an idea. Unfortunately I've long since disposed of my 2nd gen ... hmmmmm ... maybe I'll look into this on the Vic just for the halibut.

Looking on ebay I just saw this:

07 Yamaha Venture Royal Star XVZ1300 AIR COMPRESSOR

Do I have one? 2007 RSmidnightVenture

What is it for? where is it ?

Might have been a mis print and should have been 87 ??

no compressors on 1999-2013 models.

How does the seat come off? I have found the 10mm nut on the right side - left side is different - what is the tool? (I didn't actually crawl under to look yet).

Two bolts and it pops off?

There's really a switch for the passing lamps!?!?!??

Like - anyone rewire the CB trigger switch to open their garage door?

I picked up a Royale left side switch and put on my standard and used the PPT button to activate my garage door opener. It works great.

I just used the two wires from the PPT button and took the opener apart and bypassed the connection made when I pushed the opener button. I then used Velcro on the inside fairing beside the headlight to hold the opener. This keeps the opener dry. Ever year or so I will put new batteries in the opener and I am good to go.

RandyA