IGNORED

xp3 HORNET Electronic Deer Avoidance gizmo?

Peder_y2k

After my accident on a bike with a deer 3 years ago i bought two and installed on the wife and my bikes.

They work as advertised and definately gets the deers attention...

However... As deer are unpredictable and skidish, they could very well jump in front of you at the last minute, just stand there, or turn and run the other way.:confused24:

I beileve it's better than nothing...

It is better to save the money for a deer hunting license and an appropriate firearm.

Deer that are in your freezer or in the frying pan are unable to jump in front of anyone or to reproduce to make more road hazards.:fatsmiley:

But since you brought up deer.

Its that time of year when the moms are giving birth to the new crop of deer and last years young are being kicked out of home. There are young deer running around that are in unfamiliar territory and may not know how to cross the street.

Any new device that makes a sound the deer have not heard before will work till the deer get to know it. Once it becomes a normal sound when they are near the road then it is normal and will no longer have any effect on them.

The sound of your vehicle does not bother them alongside of the road because they hear it all the time. But when I drive deep into the woods where deer do not know the sound of an engine as an everyday sound, the scatter like cockroaches when the lights come on.

I am sure that the cheap air powered whistles worked for a while when they first came out, now that they are everywhere, it is just another normal sound that cars make. so a lot depends on just what sound this new device makes and is it different enough from the other noises that they are already used to.

I bought some a few years ago and the. Read up on the after. Can you say "ready shoot aim!"

Minnesota hwy patrol ran a year long test since they have a consistent history of deer collisions.

Every vehicle was equipped with a pair and one year later they had the same amount of deer collisions. Minnesota hwy patrol conclusion was they do not work at all

Next- deer hearing is in human range. A bit above and a bit bow as well but the deer whistles are above their hearing range anyway. So they can't hear them period.

Best advise I have heard so far is drive slower at dusk and dawn. And while you are at it, sat right and exercise regularly :-)