IGNORED

Heel toe shifter missing bolt

Wanaberidin

On my ride home from work last night I discovered that the heel toe shifter assembly was loose and moving around. I would have to keep pressure on arm with the side of my foot to keep it lined up. Looked at the bike this morning and it looks like there was supposed to be a bolt/nut to secure the assembly to the frame. Now all I see is a hole. Any idea what was there and what needs to be done to fix. Don't really want to spend my time have shop take care of it if I locate the correct parts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

For temporary you can use one of the screws that is in the side cover just below the seat. There are two screws in each cover,one is used to secure the cover to the bike the other is just there for show, take the show one out and it will fit right in to hold the shifter, also you can use that when you go to the hardware store and need to match up that silly metric thread that none of us understand that well.

Loctite is our friend on that bolt!

Keith

I haven't touched it. I assumed that any bolt would have had Loctite applied during assembly. Bike is a 08 bought new in Nov 2010. Just entering 3rd riding season in NW Illinois. Shocked that the bolt fell out. I wonder what else is going to fall off this bike.

Jim

The Shifter bolt is a service point at the dealership. They are supposed to grease the shaft when you get it serviced. The last time I had mine serviced they didn't put any removable Loctite on it and it fell out as I was riding out west. I just put a Velcro strap on it and road it until I passed a Yamaha dealer. The dealer in Durango, Colorado replaced it for free and I haven't had any more problems with it.:bluesbrother:

For temporary fix... you can use one of the bolts that holds the plastic piece around the key. Those bolts are the same bolt that are on the cover under the drivers seat.

Should be replaced for free by the dealer since you are (probably) within the 5 year warranty.

(...) I assumed that any bolt would have had Loctite applied during assembly. (...)

Like they say in the movies: "assumption is the mother of all f**k-ups!" :-) Sadly, but the factory has been consistently less-than-perfect with this model in many regards. Sometimes they forget to grease the shaft splines. Other times they forget to apply Loctite to the shifter bolt. Other times they simply dress the wires different from what their own manual says. Nothing a good full service or inspection can't fix, but just so you know, "new from factory" doesn't necessarily mean "perfect condition" ;-)

I haven't touched it. I assumed that any bolt would have had Loctite applied during assembly. Bike is a 08 bought new in Nov 2010. Just entering 3rd riding season in NW Illinois. Shocked that the bolt fell out. I wonder what else is going to fall off this bike.

Jim

The 5 year warranty doesn't mean maintenance free. Any bike regardless of brand needs a good going over every year. You might also check saddle bag hinge bolts and latches , trunk bolts, brake calipers just to name a few. With a little TLC you won't have to wonder whats next. The better you get to know the bike the better you will know what kind of service your dealer is giving you.

Stay away from loctite around the plastic.

I had the same thing happen to me on the way to work, went to the hardware store got replacement bolt and washer from the chrome section. Got the strongest set threadlock and problem has been solved for over ten years now.

On my ride home from work last night I discovered that the heel toe shifter assembly was loose and moving around. I would have to keep pressure on arm with the side of my foot to keep it lined up. Looked at the bike this morning and it looks like there was supposed to be a bolt/nut to secure the assembly to the frame. Now all I see is a hole. Any idea what was there and what needs to be done to fix. Don't really want to spend my time have shop take care of it if I locate the correct parts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Thank goodness it's a fine thread! Caught mine with about three threads left to go before the bolt fell completely out. (all this on my way home from Maintenance Day! What's that? Ride 'em in......push 'em out? Well.......almost.)

Go Loctite!!