IGNORED

18" Roadliner Wheel on my 98 Royal Star

I just put an 18" Roadliner wheel on my bike. I stripped the silver paint,painted the spokes charcoal metallic,then polished the rim edge to give it a good look.I also stripped and polished the lower fork legs.

It helped lighten the front end in slow speed riding and feels good on the road...I really like the look...

75577.jpg 75578.jpg 75579.jpg

Edited by Freebird

looks good, great job. need more info on what you had to do to make it fit/work.

thanks

don c.

Everything bolted right up. My wheel was a slightly curbed wheel from eBay.I paid $120. with shipping for the wheel.I sanded and smoothed the scratches.I bought new,stock bearings,used my inner bearing spacer and a new Metzeler 130/70/18 tire.I had my local bike shop do the bearings and tire install after I redid the wheel. The part numbers were the same on the bearings for the 05 Roadliner wheel and my 98 RSTD wheel.Brake rotors bolted right up. I like the feel of the smaller tire,it handles very well.

Edited by Douginflorida

I also have purchased a Stratoliner wheel. Is there anything I need to know before making the swap? Why did you decide to change the bearings? Did you reuse your rotors or adapt the covers to fit? Thanks! Your bike looks great:thumbsup2:

I also have purchased a Stratoliner wheel. Is there anything I need to know before making the swap? Why did you decide to change the bearings? Did you reuse your rotors or adapt the covers to fit? Thanks! Your bike looks great:thumbsup2:

I needed new bearings because the wheel I bought had no bearings or bearing spacer in it. I cross referenced the bearing and bearing dust cover from both my 98 RSTD and the 05 Roadliner that my wheel came off of.Same part number.The rotors and rotor covers bolted up,no mods.Thanks,I love my Royal Star...

Looks good. Faster too ! Yes Direct swap. Did mine two years ago now. I used a Stratoliner S wheel comes polished and goes well on the Midnight RSTD. Album with pics on my profile page comparing the Stratoliner wheel and the RSTD/Venture wheel. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/album.php?albumid=880

First guy to do it I'm aware of was remmertb. He put one on a Venture. The thread is in Accessories forum I think.

Looks good. Faster too ! Yes Direct swap. Did mine two years ago now. I used a Stratoliner S wheel comes polished and goes well on the Midnight RSTD. Album with pics on my profile page comparing the Stratoliner wheel and the RSTD/Venture wheel. http://www.venturerider.org/forum/album.php?albumid=880

First guy to do it I'm aware of was remmertb. He put one on a Venture. The thread is in Accessories forum I think.

I have an 07 RSV and I am the farthest thing from a "wrench". When you say "Direct Swap". Does that simply mean pull off the old tire and rim as if you are getting new rubber and bolt in its place the roadliner or stratoliner new thinner tire and rim? Is there anything else? spacer or dohickey that is needed?

Thanks for the guidance. I really like the look and looking forward to better handling.

VentureFar...

I have an 07 RSV and I am the farthest thing from a "wrench". When you say "Direct Swap". Does that simply mean pull off the old tire and rim as if you are getting new rubber and bolt in its place the roadliner or stratoliner new thinner tire and rim? Is there anything else? spacer or dohickey that is needed?

Thanks for the guidance. I really like the look and looking forward to better handling.

VentureFar...

Correct. Direct swap assumes you are buying a wheel with the bearings and seals and center spacer installed, intact and ready to go. Anything not included with the wheel you buy will have to be added. I bought a complete take off wheel assembly that also included the floating rotors.

Remove the stock front wheel which involves several steps including removing brake calipers. Its covered in the tech section and for brevity I won't cover it here.

Basically the front wheel is held on with a long axle bolt and there are two short spacers one on each side that the seals ride on.With the axle out and the wheel off, the spacers pull out by hand, sometime they just fall out. You reuse the axle bolt and two small spacers from your stock wheel when installing the stratoliner/roadliner wheel. Swap rotors over if you are buying a wheel that doesn't have them.The stock venture/rstd rotors will swap over if get a wheel with out rotors. With floating rotors, don't use the rotor covers.

The wheel you linked on ebay in the other thread didn't include the center spacer (between the bearings). Bearing needs to be removed to install that part. Since you need ot remove the seal to remove the bearing at minimum order two new seals if the bearinhgs are still good.

Hey, RSTDdog,I need to say thanks to you and remmertb. Without your posts and pictures,I would not have known to do the wheel swap. Since doing mine I've put a few miles on and I really like the lighter handling the 18" wheel and tire gives. Plus it really does look better.

I wish I could have found a polished Strat S wheel but I am happy with how mine came out! I like your floating rotors better,I'll be on the lookout for some.

Thanks again guys!!!

Hey guys, forgive my lack of knowledge but I'd like to know if this mod would change the height of the front end? The stock wheel is 16", this wheel is 18" won't that raise the front up 2"? One other question what is a floating rotor vs. any other kind.

Hey guys, forgive my lack of knowledge but I'd like to know if this mod would change the height of the front end? The stock wheel is 16", this wheel is 18" won't that raise the front up 2"? One other question what is a floating rotor vs. any other kind.

I think the 18" wheel and tire combo is about 3/4 of an inch shorter than the 16" due to the low profile 130/70/18 tire. No big change there. The floating rotor has attaching hardware that allow the rotor to "float" on the wheel hub to eliminate rotor chatter and vibration under braking. The Royal Stars rotors bolt solid to the wheel,thus no floating. Hope this helps. If you look at RSTDdog pics on his install,he shows the wheels and tires side by side.

• 3 years later...