IGNORED

Seat removal

Hi everyone Name is Duck and i am going to be a MMI student coming up this year.

I just bought a 83 venture to make my 300 mile trips twice a week.

Right now i am having a small problem with fuel delivery so i am taking the tank off to clean (I think I already know the problem dirty gas tank and filled the fuel filter witch starved the carbs thanks to this site :)...)

So i am having a problem getting the seat off and the rear bags

Is there a easy way to take the bags off mine look like they have a key lock in the front and thats the only thing but i cant seem to unlock it.

Also do i even have to take those bags off for the seat to come off it looks like it does due to 2 bolts holing the seat on

Thanks guys :fingers-crossed-emo

You need to take the 2 side panels off which are secured with rubber clips just above the transmission. They come off easy, remove the clips and lift up on the panel. Just below the seat and the middle you should see the bolts that hold the seat on, one on each side.

To work on the carbs you shouln't need to remove the saddlebags, they are a pain to remove anyway.

good luck...

Roy

I normally use a small pry bar inserted between the latch and the bracket. Push the latch back while giving the bags a rap with the palm of your hand to move them forward. Make sure the key is in the proper position to allow the latch to move.

Actually you shouldn't have to remove the side covers to get to the seat, there is a recess in the side rails that the saddlebags clip on to. I honestly can't remember if the saddlebags have to come off or not to get to those bolts, there is one on each side. You should take some lock graphite and really lube up the locks. Yes, the front locks are the ones to remove the saddlebags. I can remember one of my bags being slightly out of alignment and I had to wack the bag to get the key to move...

Actually you shouldn't have to remove the side covers to get to the seat, there is a recess in the side rails that the saddlebags clip on to. I honestly can't remember if the saddlebags have to come off or not to get to those bolts, there is one on each side. You should take some lock graphite and really lube up the locks. Yes, the front locks are the ones to remove the saddlebags. I can remember one of my bags being slightly out of alignment and I had to wack the bag to get the key to move...

Yup the bags need to come off for the Mk1, to get at the seat bolts. But the easy way, if the retaining locks need work, is to open the bags & unthread the 3 screws from the inside holding the exterior locks to the bags. This way, you can get the tank work started & play with the locks later.

:2cents:

Yup the bags need to come off for the Mk1, to get at the seat bolts. But the easy way, if the retaining locks need work, is to open the bags & unthread the 3 screws from the inside holding the exterior locks to the bags. This way, you can get the tank work started & play with the locks later.

:2cents:

Thats what i had to do,The locks were being stupid so i had to take the bolts off and remove the bags that way got to get to the tank and set those aside.

So the fuel filter was not getting enough fuel,the fuel coming from the tank to the petcock was slow almost to a drip.I was looking and i thought it would be very hard to take the tank off to get to the petcock ( i dont have a 90 deg drive tool to get to the screws on the petcock)So i took some fuel line and put it on the petcock and blew my heart out to try and get a plug if there was one out. That seemed to work because fuel started pouring out.I then hooked the fuel filter back up (took a small break because i then got fuel in my eye not wearing my safety glass stupid me)and it filled right up all the way.I then started the bike and it stayed full ( the gas gauge that didnt work now works as well? lol) i havent taken it for a ride because My son is only 18 months so i cant leave him alone LOL (he helps me work on my bike) so when i get a chance ill be taking it up the hill i live on (I learned not to go down hill because even thow they will tow your vehical twice in one day with roadside it seems weird)that way i can coast down and get her home if anything happens.

If all is good i will post and also go to bike night maybe and let you guys know how it went.

P.S. Any spelling errors i am sorry i either missed the correction or you know what i really didnt know how to spell that simple word sorry :bobby:

There should be a filter screen on the inside of the petcock. What probably happened is you blew a bunch of crud out of it which is now sloshing around in the fuel tank. Eventually it'll probably plug up again. This isn't something you want to happen when you are down hill from home.......

Also, it's possible that the inside of the tank is rusting which will be a continuing problem until it's sealed.

If you remove the seat you can unbolt the fuel sender from the top of the tank. The opening is large enough you should be able to get a look at what's going on.

There should be a filter screen on the inside of the petcock. What probably happened is you blew a bunch of crud out of it which is now sloshing around in the fuel tank. Eventually it'll probably plug up again. This isn't something you want to happen when you are down hill from home.......

Also, it's possible that the inside of the tank is rusting which will be a continuing problem until it's sealed.

If you remove the seat you can unbolt the fuel sender from the top of the tank. The opening is large enough you should be able to get a look at what's going on.

:sign yeah that:

We were just talking about that on this thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?threadid=77263

Bottom of tank and petcock pickup filters sound like a good place to start on yours.

so i pulled off the fuel sending unit and looked inside :fingers crossed:

And it didnt look to bad. There is a couple small patches that have some rust but nothing that looks crazy or like its a hole. I got alot of crap out of the fuel filter and the new one is nice and clean.

But there is a small flake of metal sitting at the bottom of the tank near the petcock.

I need to replace the petcock because it is broken on the out side and the pick up inside doesnt seem to have much going on with it like no sreen or anything around it.

I think that this small flake will be a problem can i just stick a long magnet in there and pull her out?

also to replace that petcock do i have to pull the tank.

My problem is the frame rail under the tank gets in the way and the bolts are not bolts they are screws.i am thinking about just getting a 90 deg drive tool because pulling the tank seems like so much work on this bike.

any tips on how to get that off would be awesome it is driving my crazy LOL i would have already changed the thing out

Most guys never turn the petcock off. They just leave it on "reserve" or "on" postition. That's why most of them don't move very easy. Lack of use. No problems leaving them on. Because of tank placement and fuel pump little problem of flooding the carbs with the fuel left on.

If you decide to pull the tank consider the easy path. By removing the rear subframe with everything attached to that intact you save a bunch of time and effort. One person can do it but an extra pair of hands is nice to reinstall it.

I'm trying to remember. The '83 only has a single pickup? If so the petcock will be off or run only.

You said the inside pickup "didn't have much going on". Is there a screened pipe sticking up from the petcock? If not, a new petcock is in order.

I've only replaced my petcock when the tank was out of the bike. I can't say if it's possisble on the bike or not. I know it looks awful tight at that point.

Remember to work safely. You are dealing with gas residue and fumes. Both are a risk factor.

Edited by Snaggletooth

I checked the fiche today looking for a petcock screen. I was expecting to something with an oval cross section tall enough to cover the inlet tube. There was no such thing in the fiche.

Can someone that has had a good fuel cock in hand confirm that there is a screen on it?

Checked my parts manual and it shows the single pickup only for the '83 model.

Part # 26H 24500-00-00

Stand tube with screen sticks up out of top of petcock. The screen is part of the tube. Screens are not replacement items. Tried when the screens failed on my '84. Only petcock assembly.

Looking for a pic.

Edited by Snaggletooth

yea mine is missing that little screen.

I will have to pick one up but i am a student a stay at home dad and on a budget LOL

i went back into the tank with the sending unit off and pulled all that crap out with a magnet it looks all gone maybe some went down in to the line but the fuel filter will pick that up.i am going to keep my eye on how much fuel runs into the filter i can watch how much fuel is in the filter and if it starts to empty in anyway i know i have a problem.

(Duck tip #1 always keep roadside assistance on your bike so you can get it towed if something stupid like that kills your trip)

I took it for its longest ride today and it did great didnt die once.I am going to try and upload some pics but i am a new member so i dont know if it will let me

Well, you've found your problem. I'll tell you from experience that the fuel filter will catch most of it, but not all. Some particals will get past it and work into the fuel pump and all the way into the carbs. Then you got some cleaning to do.

Consider making a new, or even used petcock a priority. The petcock filter is your first defense.

I don't think anybody answered your other question....yes, you can remove the petcock with the the tank on the bike. I don't remember exactly what I used to remove the screws, but I did have the petcock off of my 83 many years ago, and I don't remember it being all that difficult. I probably would have used a phillips head socket on my 1/4" ratchet.

To get the bag locks to release on my 83, I put the key in the middle position, then take a long thin screwdriver or my pocket knive and push the locking mechanism to the retracted position. While it's retracted, I turn the key the rest of the way, which holds the mechanism open. This is way faster than removing the entire lock. I also found that when you flood the lock with WD-40, the mechanism works better (still not like it did when new though).

• 9 months later...