IGNORED

Are you afraid of heights??

dallio

When I was younger I was ok... climbed about 150 freestanding towers to install or upgrade microwave trasceivers... some fairly eay and some really tall ones (1050) that didn't thrill me at all. The winter months proved the most challeging, trying to keep footing and handholds with ice on the metal.

But I almost always thought, when at the top... "What am I doing this for?" Needless to say, when someone asked me if it was for the thrill... definitely not! I had had a few close calls and was mostly afraid that physical exhaustion would cause a mistake so "breaks" were high on my agenda. At about 450', on one slippery tower, the TV station assistant was jabbering on the walkie-talkie (from the ground) asking me what was taking so long... I told him I thougt I found some really interesting crytal formations and he should come up and take a look... the radio stayed pretty silent. Only a few had a guyline to clip on... mostly it was clip to the railing to take a break and then unclip and forge on. Near the peak of one outside Dayton (950'), I dropped a 1/2" open-ended wrench, heard it 'ping' once off the tower and that was it. No one below to worry about but I still felt miserable for the mistake. Looked later for over an hour... never saw it... and this was bare earth, not a lot of room to hide. I think velocity and bounce trajectory can be a mighty amazing combo.

Now a few decades later, I find I'm a bit overwhelmed by these videos... vertigo grabs me and I really do have to look away. The ignorance and invulernability of youth was amazing... and I was fortunate to have experienced it but like many things... never again... ain't enough money in the world.

Having come from a construction background, I see some issues with this climb. I have worked at high altitudes while walking bridge girders at 450' +. In the 80s there were few tie off requirements. Today's safety would require 100% tie off. That would be a "tether cable" affixed to the tower and the climber would slide a safety line up the cable. If he fell the safety catch would engage and stop the fall. And there is no way I would climb that tower for any money. Then again I couldn't with my age and physical condition.

:farmer:

Way back when, I almost took a job painting towers like that. This was in the 70's and when working at the top the pay was almost $500 per hour. I ended up taking a job with Chrysler corp. running a crane and climbed 70 Ft to the operators cab 3 or 4 times a day. After doing it for a while I could climb the whole ladder pretty quick without stopping.

The worst part of climbing a tower like that is the sway at the top, a lot of the time it'll move 4 ft or so :yikes:

Being a ham, in my younger years, I spent alot of time on small towers.(below 200'). Only respect for the danger. HOWEVER...NOW

I have only a 60' in my back yard and the first step of the roof makes my knees knock and my heart stumble.

No way in heck could I do that. I even declined the opportunity to ride in the elevator of a local tall tower a few years ago.

My brother use to fix them back when he worked for Motorola.

He said that job in the winter months really bites...

Vaguely seem to remember something about him having to get microwave transmissions turned off, before he climbed the tower, as it was "detrimental to ones health". :eek: