Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost or 5.0 V8?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    227
    United States
    CO
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost or 5.0 V8?

    I am in the market for a new work truck and would like the opinions of the learned members here. My '01 Dodge Ram 5.9 diesel has 303,000 miles. I rarely tow a trailer anymore and am looking at the Ford F150. My main question is should I chance the Ecoboost or stick with the more tried and true technology of the 5.0 V8. I like the idea of the twin turbos Ecoboost, especially considering that I normally drive at elevations between 5,000 and 10,000 feet.

    There is no shortage of people on the internet forums having problems with the Ecoboost, but I am sure that like anything else, it is typically the people having problems that are posting. The one thing that I do find curious however is that the local (Denver) dealer's inventory is virtually void of Ecoboost equipped trucks. I don't know if this is because they can't keep them in stock or Ford is not making them. Thanks for your thoughts.
    "If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question." Ronald Reagan

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,149
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My thought would be, it may be great when new but when that twin turbo starts failing, the cost to repair will be way up there. Also, what are the chances you'll get 303XXX miles from those turbos ? Cummins is a proven system, is ecoboost?
    Jay
    Patriot Guard Rider #18267 http://PGRMICHIGAN.org
    '01 RSV......08 Hannigan RSV, 69' Buick GS 400 Conv.
    " Never ride faster than your angel can fly"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    falling waters
    Posts
    504
    United States
    WV
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am just about is your shoes, I will be looking for something by the end of March. If it be a truck it will be Deasel and not Chevy or GMC. I just got rid of an extended cab Chevy 4x4 with 278,000 miles and do not want another Chevy, I cussed that thing from day 1. If I get a truck it will be Ford or Dodge. If a car it will be Toyota, Honda, or Subaru.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    West Bloomfield
    Posts
    3,149
    United States
    MI
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slowrollwv View Post
    I am just about is your shoes, I will be looking for something by the end of March. If it be a truck it will be Deasel and not Chevy or GMC. I just got rid of an extended cab Chevy 4x4 with 278,000 miles and do not want another Chevy, I cussed that thing from day 1. If I get a truck it will be Ford or Dodge. If a car it will be Toyota, Honda, or Subaru.
    I can hook you up with my Chrysler employee discount if you choose a new Dodge truck.
    Jay
    Patriot Guard Rider #18267 http://PGRMICHIGAN.org
    '01 RSV......08 Hannigan RSV, 69' Buick GS 400 Conv.
    " Never ride faster than your angel can fly"

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Many, La
    Posts
    718
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    My parents just bought a '12 F150 with the ecoboost. I've test drove theirs and really liked it. Unlike most engines you have to get the rpms up to get any power out of them, they pull from the time you mash the peddle. With that I haven't drove the 5.0. But it too is a new motor that just came out in '10 or '11. Its not tried and true either, not the same 5.0 from the '90s.

    I'm not a gear head, but I tend to think they're tuned for reliability more so than performance. They're only producing 80 more horsepower than the naturally aspirated 3.5 liter. Plus Ford is putting them in the Tauras, Explorer, and the Flex.

    For me, it would come down to the price difference (which one is cheaper)!
    Last edited by jfoster; 01-25-2013 at 09:39 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Whitman
    Posts
    98
    United States
    MA
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Look closely as well, a good friend bought the F-150 new last July, was going considering going with the ecoboost until they told him he had to run premium fuel in it. It was something along the lines of a 3-4 thousand $$ option on the truck and then the added fuel cost. He went with the 5.0 and has had nothing but good things to say about it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Stratford South Dakota
    Posts
    849
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Neighbor just bought a 2012 holdover (I think, might be a 13). He did not buy the ecoboost. He does have an older 3/4 ton diesel if he needs to pull heavy. He said it wasnt worth the cash difference to him basically for about 1 more mpg. He is a die hard Ford guy. He's had the truck about 2 months. I asked him the other day if he regrets his decision and he said not a bit. Basically all road miles for him though, not much pulling.
    2011 Road Glide Custom

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    plattsville Ontario
    Posts
    442
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Leland View Post
    I am in the market for a new work truck and would like the opinions of the learned members here. My '01 Dodge Ram 5.9 diesel has 303,000 miles. I rarely tow a trailer anymore and am looking at the Ford F150. My main question is should I chance the Ecoboost or stick with the more tried and true technology of the 5.0 V8. I like the idea of the twin turbos Ecoboost, especially considering that I normally drive at elevations between 5,000 and 10,000 feet.

    There is no shortage of people on the internet forums having problems with the Ecoboost, but I am sure that like anything else, it is typically the people having problems that are posting. The one thing that I do find curious however is that the local (Denver) dealer's inventory is virtually void of Ecoboost equipped trucks. I don't know if this is because they can't keep them in stock or Ford is not making them. Thanks for your thoughts.
    I am a Ford technician since 1988. Ford has come a long way in quality especially since about 2004. Dont hesitate buying the ecoboost. The turbos are built into the exhaust manifolds and havnt change in theoreticle design. A turbo will last a very long time if taken care of. Let them warm up and after heavy towing or hauling let them cool down for a minute or so by idling the engine. Chnge the engine oil regularly and the ecoboost will last. Befor buying figure out your driving habits such as in town driving, hwy driving and how much and how often you will be towing, than select the apropriate gear ratio for the rear end.If you have any questions feel free to ask and i will give you an unbiased answer.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Littleton, CO
    Posts
    227
    United States
    CO
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragtop69gs View Post
    I can hook you up with my Chrysler employee discount if you choose a new Dodge truck.
    Thanks for the offer, but my brother is a Chrysler retiree. The new Ram 1500 have a very low payload capacity. I would have to get a 3/4 ton. Plus, you cannot get a supercab from Dodge, only a crew (4 door). And their short bed is only 6'4" instead of Ford's 6'6". The 8' won't fit in my garage with an extended cab.
    "If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question." Ronald Reagan

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Many, La
    Posts
    718
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonlawman2003 View Post
    Look closely as well, a good friend bought the F-150 new last July, was going considering going with the ecoboost until they told him he had to run premium fuel in it. It was something along the lines of a 3-4 thousand $$ option on the truck and then the added fuel cost. He went with the 5.0 and has had nothing but good things to say about it.
    Super unleaded would definitely be a deal breaker for me too.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    348
    United States
    MN
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have a 12 Ford Flex with the Ecoboost engine and enjoy it a lot. It has a bunch of get up and go when you hit the pedal and pulls strong thru all speeds. I have towed a small single axle enclosed trailer a couple of times and the engine had no problems going up hills and passing slower vehicles. I usually burn 87 octane gas in it without any issue other then some MPG drop.
    I have 10K on mine and would buy it again. My biggest issues is my right foot likes to push the go pedal a lot.
    Rick F.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Oliver Springs
    Posts
    400
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wrenchrob View Post
    I am a Ford technician since 1988. Ford has come a long way in quality especially since about 2004. Dont hesitate buying the ecoboost. The turbos are built into the exhaust manifolds and havnt change in theoreticle design. A turbo will last a very long time if taken care of. Let them warm up and after heavy towing or hauling let them cool down for a minute or so by idling the engine. Chnge the engine oil regularly and the ecoboost will last. Befor buying figure out your driving habits such as in town driving, hwy driving and how much and how often you will be towing, than select the apropriate gear ratio for the rear end.If you have any questions feel free to ask and i will give you an unbiased answer.

    I agree keep the oil changed no problems with the turbos. You don't have to run premium fuel either, it will last a long time.
    http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/engine/

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Bama
    Posts
    126
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Ford

    My 76 Ford F100 does not have an Eco anything and has a 2 barrel carb on top of a 360 FE engine. She gets about 14 mpg max on the highway. That's what you need.
    Education is not necessarily an indication of intelligence.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Langbank
    Posts
    324
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Anything I have heard is the ecoboost engine has good power, but the guy I was talking to said there was no fuel mileage advantage.
    A friend of mine recently bought a '12 F150 with the 5.0 litre engine. He admits it is a little lazy, but otherwise is satisfied with it.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Murfreesboro
    Posts
    1,834
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I bought a new 5.0 mustang 2 weeks ago, I really love that 5.0 I did not have the option of the ecoboost, I can say the 5.0 will get you in trouble fast...

    Lot of power in that engine, what I don't know is it the same engine in the trucks?

    Only bad thing I heard about the eco, and think it has been corrected was in the Ford Escape the boost was recalled for possible fire hazzard..

    I know all the car rentals places at work pulled them and park them...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ford Escape AC
    By Man of Steel in forum General Tech Talk
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
  2. If you own a ford v-6 read this!
    By Trader in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 07:50 PM
  3. ford 7 1/2 rear end
    By long_black_train in forum Trike & Sidecar Talk
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 10:32 AM
  4. Need someone with a Clymer for an 02 F150
    By craigatcsi in forum General Tech Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-08-2009, 08:03 PM
  5. Ford A/C
    By Yammer Dan in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-09-2009, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •