IGNORED

2005 Royal Star Tour Deluxe coolant leak

Hi everyone! I have a 2005 royal star tour deluxe, 1300cc with 97,000. The bike is in showroom condition and runs perfectly. Last week I noticed coolant under the bike :rotf:. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a small amount of coolant at both bases of what appears to be covers for the cylinders. I looked underneath the tank, and from the best I could see, found no leaks. Any ideas where to start with this one would be as always, greatly apprecitated.

Thank You,

Ed

Ed,

Under the fake fin/cylinder covers there are what look like freeze plugs. They just press in and are held in place by the covers. There have been a number of instances where they developed seeps and it sounds like what you have. They are not very expensive and easy to change out. Some people have just taped a dime over the so that they covers put more pressure on them but changing them out would be the best route to take.

I've got a Venture with just over 102,000...started seeping a bit, pulled the fake cyl. covers off and the little plugs is where mines leaking.

Any particular place to get them....other than find a site that has the engine diagrams and find a name/part no...?

Under the tank on the right hand side. There is a rubber hose connecting two metal tubes. It seeps out and drips to about the same spot as the freeze plugs - Just had to tighten the clamp on the hose. Had te freeze plug leak as well before the clamp leak - Local dealer ordered the freeze plugs and had them in 2 days for about $2 each if I remember right. On the freeze plugs- Just push them in with your finger - don't need to drive with a tool or anything. Also, there is a rubber hose insert at the bottom of the radiator that will eventually need tightened up.