IGNORED

Savage 111 rifle.

bj66

I won a rifle the other night at a fundraiser. It was a Winchester model 70 30-06. Nice rifle but I already have a 30-06 at home. So I went to pick up the gun in a different caliber today, and I decided I wanted a 25-06. The dealer I was at didnt have a 25-06 in stock of course, and it isnt real common. It also is backordered and I dont know when I would be able to get it. So looking on line I narrowed my choice down to a Ruger M-77, a Rem 700 stainless with the laminate stock, and the Savage 111 BTH (Thumb Hole laminate). I thought the thumbhole in a 25-06 would make one heck of a varmint gun, as well as a nice whitetail gun, so I took a chance and had him order it.

So did I do ok with the Savage? Any of you hunters have the 111? I know with the Accu Trigger it should be good, but dont necessarily like taking a blind chance on a gun.......Guess I'll find out one way or the other......Kinda wish they had the Winchester in stock, that was a nice weapon.

I have used my little Savage to "harvest" many whitetail here in Michigan, I know what you mean about the 25 ought 6 - fantastic varmint nabber.

I had a Ruger 7 mag that I LOVED but I didnt care for the comb mount safety, I had the safety move up (into fire position) a couple times while carrying with my hand wrapped around the comb and it concerned me soooo it got offed..

Had a 22-250 KILLER Remington 700, nice piece but pricey for what it was.. Fun field shooting ground hogs though...

I think you made a good choice - congrats by the way!!

I gotta stop "Collecting", but I guess its ok since i was donating to a worthy cause. I didnt expect to win. I was hoping to win some bacon on some paddle wheel drawings, but I guess I will have to settle for the gun instead.

I know what you mean about the 22-250, we have two of them, one was my dads, and the other was given to my oldest son. It was my father in laws.

I usually use a .243 when deer hunting, and never had any troubles with it not being enough gun to do the job. So I know the 25-06 will be even better in that capacity.