IGNORED

Personal abuse and insults

CaptainJoe

Would it be possible to have a report abuse button added to the threads ?

There are certain people on here that go out of their way to insult others on this forum.

Such action should not be tolerated and can only lead to bad feelings and possible loss of our membership.

One site I visit has this button. When a member reports an abuse, a moderator views it, decides if it was a verbal abuse, then if it was, deletes it and notifies the offending party. If the same person has to be warned multiple times, they loose their membership.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is the comment I am thinking of .... cut the guy some slack please.

Folk get a bit agitated and probably don't mean to be personally offensive.

It happens, and text sometimes fails the humor test is all.

just my 2c

Would it be possible to have a report abuse button added to the threads ?

There are certain people on here that go out of their way to insult others on this forum.

Such action should not be tolerated and can only lead to bad feelings and possible loss of our membership.

One site I visit has this button. When a member reports an abuse, a moderator views it, decides if it was a verbal abuse, then if it was, deletes it and notifies the offending party. If the same person has to be warned multiple times, they loose their membership.

What did I do this time ???

:confused24:

Gary

Folks, I can assure you that every thread on this forum is read and watched by myself and the other moderators. The thread in question has been monitored for a while now. It has been discussed and is very close to being deleted.

As for a button to report posts, we already have one. Right above the country flags and etc. is a white triangle with a red border. Hover your mouse cursor over it and you'll see that it says "report post".

Folks, I can assure you that every thread on this forum is read and watched by myself and the other moderators. The thread in question has been monitored for a while now. It has been discussed and is very close to being deleted.

As for a button to report posts, we already have one. Right above the country flags and etc. is a white triangle with a red border. Hover your mouse cursor over it and you'll see that it says "report post".

Learn something new every day. Didn't even know that was there. However, never had the need to use it. (On my iPad, no hovering, just have to "click" it to see what it does.)

"As for a button to report posts, we already have one. Right above the country flags and etc. is a white triangle with a red border. Hover your mouse cursor over it and you'll see that it says "report post". "

Well.... Guess I missed that one to, Ooooooooops. Thanks Black Owl, Freebird.

The thing that bothers me the most is, from the time i was a kid i have been told when people start hurling insults, personal abuse or try to change the subject, it's because they aren't intellectually able, or, are just to lazy to research and defend their stance... Thats why i Won't do it (although to be truthful, I have had some colorful replies after getting my feathers ruffeled)...

As another member stated:"people will get on your back simply because they disagree with you, not because you were wrong, or out of line."

I think we can all agree this is inappropiate.:whistling:

I wish the moderators would just delete the post (or posts) and not the whole thread . I have seen good threads disappear because of one or two posts.

That becomes problematic. a lot of times they just come back and say the same thing a different way. The subject of the thread is what has gotten to them so to be equal to all involved the thread is deleted.

"Quote:

Originally Posted by KIC viewpost.gif

I wish the moderators would just delete the post (or posts) and not the whole thread . I have seen good threads disappear because of one or two posts.

That becomes problematic. a lot of times they just come back and say the same thing a different way. The subject of the thread is what has gotten to them so to be equal to all involved the thread is deleted. "

Thats why i suggested that if you commit any of those acts your post will be deleted. They could be locked out of future responces to a paticular thead. Comon guys, if you behave badly, you should be spanked, mope about it a little and learn the lesson not to abuse people. If the policy was documented and enforced people would not do it.

By having a " Delete the entire thread policy", with no repurcussions to the instigator, it will lead to them starting another thread, or, worse yet," going behind the scenes with PMs" . The main theme should promote harmony and discourage bad behaviour. Plus, if i don't like where a thread is going, whats to prevent me from starting something knowing it will be deleted? "hence my cancel the membership for multiple abuses".

I know a lot of this has been discussed before, but we've already eliminated religious/political and other topics. Really don't want to see more banned topics.:confused24:

"Quote:

Originally Posted by KIC viewpost.gif

That becomes problematic. a lot of times they just come back and say the same thing a different way. The subject of the thread is what has gotten to them so to be equal to all involved the thread is deleted. "

Thats why i suggested that if you commit any of those acts your post will be deleted. They could be locked out of future responces to a paticular thead. Comon guys, if you behave badly, you should be spanked, mope about it a little and learn the lesson not to abuse people. If the policy was documented and enforced people would not do it.

By having a " Delete the entire thread policy", with no repurcussions to the instigator, it will lead to them starting another thread, or, worse yet," going behind the scenes with PMs" . The main theme should promote harmony and discourage bad behaviour. Plus, if i don't like where a thread is going, whats to prevent me from starting something knowing it will be deleted? "hence my cancel the membership for multiple abuses".

I know a lot of this has been discussed before, but we've already eliminated religious/political and other topics. Really don't want to see more banned topics.:confused24:

I can personally assure you if it gets to far over the edge, a moderator will discuss it with the offender.

And what is the interpretation of 'well documented', could this be interpreted to go so far as to have a popup window when the reply button is clicked on to say, "Don't speak harsh words to your fellow bikers"

My thought is we are all adults here, sometimes some of us poke fun at others, and the playfullness of this ribbing may not be apparent to others if they don't know the history of those involved.

This site is kept far more civil than other sites. I would be content to keep the majority happy rather than keeping the one or two happy that may have read something into any given post and took offense to that.

:2cents:

Gary

"I can personally assure you if it gets to far over the edge, a moderator will discuss it with the offender.

And what is the interpretation of 'well documented', could this be interpreted to go so far as to have a popup window when the reply button is clicked on to say, "Don't speak harsh words to your fellow bikers"

My thought is we are all adults here, sometimes some of us poke fun at others, and the playfullness of this ribbing may not be apparent to others if they don't know the history of those involved.

This site is kept far more civil than other sites. I would be content to keep the majority happy rather than keeping the one or two happy that may have read something into any given post and took offense to that."

the "well documented" part would go something like this:

To maintain civility, this site does not permit personal disparageing, name calling or abusive remarks ment to inflame our members. Any infringments will resiult in your post being deleted and your getting locked out of the thread in qusestion. You will be sent a pm informing you of the action and warned not to start another post on the same topic. Mutiple infringements could result in a cancellation of your membership or guest status.

I don't know of anyone that could "read something into" a post that calls a fellow member a "Moron". And no, this isn't the first time the've done it.:whistling:

For my own part .... I don't personally mind if people lose it and call me names. None of you know me, or my life, or what matters to me so when you call me names you simply inform all the readers of things about yourself.

What I do mind is that such behaviour shuts down discussion that some are enjoying in respectful disagreement. Nothing wrong with disagreeing .... When you disagree with me you force me to consider my own position and either confirm it, or change it. Both happen.

When the noise rises above the level of debate then the Moderators step in, and we all lose the benefit of sharing opinions with each other.