IGNORED

Built a digital carb sync

tz89

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I forgot to mention in the original write up is the benefit of the hose configuration. The hose needed to connect to the MAP sensor is larger than the hose that connects to the carb body. When I was researching this project several builders of the oil-in-tube style mentioned that they needed something to provide vacuum damping to smooth out the readings. So when I built this I carefully cut the larger tube into identical short sections and used a good step-down connector to the other hoses. In this way I'm hoping to provide that vacuum damping and smooth out the readings. Seems to work.

btw - my brother in WI is using it today. He says it is fun and why do it any other way (than digital not necessarily my contraption).

• 2 months later...

great idea you got going on here. i'm going to do about the same thing. one thing i do want to change is that i want to leave the map sensors and computer on the bike, i want it to continuously monitor the sync state and warn me when the carbs aren't perfect and need to be re-synced. i can hide the sensors and computer pretty easily on my goldwing. have you posted your lastest version ??

My proto board will arrive this Saturday. I'll test it, then build a device for my Venture.

I'll post a bit here and start a new thread.

I've got a cool way do to continuous monitoring. I'm not sure why the cost would be warranted though. :detective:

Please let me know your motivation for continuous monitoring: special application or need, data hungry, conversation piece on group rides, or whatever gets you going.

Feel free to PM me.

Thanks.

its unbelievable how much better my bike runs when the carbs are synced perfectly, rather than check the sync yearly or so i would prefer the bike to tell me went its time to synced them again (yearly ??, monthly ??) my thinking about the cost is that if their not on the bike then there sitting in my garage, why not leave them on the bike ??

it might have worked as well but i already got the Arduino in my hands today, i'm going play with it for alittle bit and see if that old school c programming comes back to me, MSDOS boland turbo C 2.0.

what about these map sensors ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-MAP-SENSOR-GM-BUICK-CHEVY-PONTIAC-GMC-OLDS-BUICK-CADILLAC-L2-21002284-/221357918600?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3389f5c988&vxp=mtr

Mike,

Don't know...I'm just a user. I was just making a suggestion about this little computer...

Tom is the person building his digital board. He has already played with some MAP sensors...see beginning of this post.

But I think your idea has merit. To be able to easily access the status of the carbs but simply plugging a device in to a connector...or leaving the little chip onboard for easy access...

BTW, Join up...you will find members here with Gullwing experiences as well as HD and, of course, Yamaha. Best $12 you've spent. Search and enjoy the info here!

david

Edited by videoarizona
Edit verbage

I got my proto board. The pictures show one blank and one with parts soldered on. Easy to build. Found some issues (like the surface mounted LCD dimmer pot) so I'm going on to the next version, but I thought I would show and tell. This board allows me to test different configurations - that's why it seems to have so many headers. A board for use would only have what it needs.

Edited by tz89

Thanks. My next version is moving fast. Contact me when I post it. I will also try to contact you when it is ready to let you know what, if anything, is available.

I may post a Survey Monkey link in a few days to gauge interests - please do respond if I do. I'm not sure whether there is enough interest or how best to configure it. I'm having fun, though.

• 2 weeks later...

A successful test of my current board on my bike today. Also, I was able to use a hall sensor to detect spark plug wire pulses - so RPM is doable. My new board design goes to the fabricator this week. Then I'll build one or two, test and post.

:dancefool:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...