IGNORED

Million Dollar Hwy???

BigLenny

A buddy of mine told me if we decide to head west this week to be sure and ride the Million Dollar Hwy. I looked at pics of it on the net and........WHAT THE?!?!

Is this road as edgy as it looks in the pics?

Looks like I better get my britches sinched up for that one.

To answer your question, YES. That was one of the highlights of my trip. Silverton is a town you must stop in and then head north and enjoy. Ther is no shoulder and no place to stop for a little while. Oh Yeh no guard rails either. There is so many great roads in Colorado and the million dollar highway is one of them. I should have been back there 2 weeks ago with my good friend.

I drove it south to Durango with the motor home after the rally in '07. Piece of cake...LOL. It would be a lot more fun on the bike though.

If you can work it in, the Durango to Silverton narrow gauge railroad is well worth the time. You can take a bus one way and the train the other if you want too.

We have ridden the million dollar hwy 4 times, every time you see

things you missed the last time. It is a must see on a motorcycle..

Here is the train in Silverton

[ATTACH]71021[/ATTACH][ATTACH]71022[/ATTACH]

Independence pass is also beautiful.....yammer' on the edge

[ATTACH]71023[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]71024[/ATTACH]

If you get a chance rent a jeep and take the Alpine Loop..NEED A 4WD. Redneck and I were up there and he has some fantastic video..IT IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART THOUGH.. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?fbid=3964684269901&set=a.3964683909892.2150055.1064216925&type=1&theater for those that can access Facebook here are some pics Mike,(Redneck) took today.

Edited by Tom

The Million dollar hwy is a great ride. I am in Silverton now and have ridden between Silverton and Ouray CO a couple of times. In some areas 1 foot outside of the paint line there is a shier drop with no guard rails if you screw up your gone. The good news is if you do screw up you will be falling to your death into some of the most beautiful canyons you have ever seen. If you have trouble walking up to the edge of a cliff you may not want to ride it but if you don't mind riding on the edge it is an awesome ride. I have some pictures of some of the less dangerous areas and a few from yesterdays ride on the alpine loop.

All of it is just beautiful if you find yourself in Ouray try Riverside Inn and Cabins nice place to stay and they rent jeeps which I highly recommend. If Shelly is still working there tell her I said HI.

http://www.ourayriversideinn.com

oh yeah watch out for the mule deer in the evenings they roam all over town and lay in peoples yards and there very tame. Watched a fawn nursing on the sidewalk.

I dont think I could keep up with you on my GW riding THIS kind of road..:think:

Today I was out riding in Tn on some backroad on my GW, and I saw a road that split off, so I took it.. I went about 1k feet and it turned into very loose gravel ...and I was going up hill...as I continued, I could tell I goofed and should never have left the pavement..to late now..

I had the choice of stopping and then TRY to walk the bike BACKWARDs through the gravel, or give it some more throttle and try to get to a leveled off area that was a little further up the hill that I could see..

When I gave it the throttle, the back wheel broke loose and started spining, and I could feel it sinking deaper in the gravel, but at the same time I was moving forward, so I just started goosing it and sure enough I made it to the leveled area above..

My next trick was to turn it around and head back down..Oh boy... this bike was not built for this type of riding...

It was a chore but I made it back to the pavement with out dropping it..

You can bet I will stop before entering a gravel road again..Im getting to old for this kind of stuff.:whistling:

You are dead on Mike. I sure wish we were still there but you know the circumstances. Debs doing better but still in bad shape.
Tom I understand completely , I hope Deb gets well soon. There will be other times I figure I have 1 or 2 good years left.

All of it is just beautiful if you find yourself in Ouray try Riverside Inn and Cabins nice place to stay and they rent jeeps which I highly recommend. If Shelly is still working there tell her I said HI.

http://www.ourayriversideinn.com

oh yeah watch out for the mule deer in the evenings they roam all over town and lay in peoples yards and there very tame. Watched a fawn nursing on the sidewalk.

You mean like these? We saw them 1 block off main street yesterday evening in Ouray.

We rode the Million Dollar Highway in June, Montrose to Durango. There were 18 wheelers coming the opposite direction - must be a right of passage. The road is narrow but the surface is solid and clean. It was a great ride. Just remember your basic motorcycle safety class; the bike follows your eyes. Watch the road and you'll be fine.