IGNORED

1987 Venture With Transmission Problems

I am a newbie ! Just purchased a 1987 Venture 'i bought it cheap-but probably not cheap if

My problems are more than the seller had a so called motorcycle mechanic tell him that it needed

A clutch ???WHEN TURNING THE ENGINE OVER WITH WRENCH ON FLYWHEEL IN GEAR HAS A POPPING

NOISE ON LEFT SIDE OF TRANS-IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT GEAR IT IS IN DOES NOT ROTATE DRIVESHAFT OR UJOINT ???

I have studied the trans diagrams ,it appears to me either spring loaded cog is messed up or has a broken spring. ?????

Please give a feed back on this-i am new to these bikes-YOU GUYS KNOW MORE THAN ME ON THIS

PLEASE HELP- THANK YOU. JIM :confused24::confused24:

My 85 snapped the shaft just in front of the ujoint, right where the shaft exits the back of the engine and it kind sounded like a pop when spun at slow speed.

Welcome to the nut house,.....:) Good luck with the bike, they are relaiable and mostly trouble free, but there are issues occasionally like anything...

Brian

Sounds like middle gears chewed up, or bad splines on the output shaft.. That's the one that changes the drive direction from cross ways (way engine turns) to long ways (drive shaft direction).

If you pull the rear case cover on the left side you can see the shaft for the horizontal gear. If it's turning and the drive shaft isn't then you know the problem is at the middle gear/output shaft.

I believe it can be serviced without splitting the cases, maybe even in frame. Someone here has done it, I've seen the pictures.

I have a 1300 motor I am rebuilding and it had the rear bevel gear that Micarl mentioned tore up. The bevel gear on the transmission shaft looks OK, which is surprising. This bevel gear has the u-joint on the other side. It can be pulled with motor in the frame after removing rear wheel & swing arm. Any more than this and the motor needs to come out of frame.

The thing about having this kind of damage is that there could be other issues that caused this condition. In the case of this motor, one of the bearings on the output tranny shaft had the cage come apart which would have been a far worse problem if not caught in time.

Gary

Thanks everyone for the reply-tomorrow I will remove the pinion gear

Jim -in

Nevada- Will respond to let you know !!!

Today I remove the middle gear-middle gear and ring gear ok-FOUND THE SPRING LOADED COG GEAR

THAT GOES INTO RING GEAR BUSTED INTO ABOUT 4 PIECES