IGNORED

Dardsiders Article

Freebird

Here is the article which was recently discussed here regarding the use of car tires on a motorcycle. Though it did cause some of the typical bickering, I know that some were not able to read it. Please take it for what it is, an opinion. You don't have to agree with it but part of a discussion forum is actually....discussion.

http://www.venturerider.org/darkside/darkside.pdf

Thanks to Rick Butler for sending me the article.

Remember folks. If your mind is already made up then that is fine but those whose minds are NOT made up certainly deserve to hear both sides of the issue.

thanks boss. as i have always stated since you installed the darksider fourm. this is a mod that had worked for me BUT is not for everyone. i have ALWAYS just wanted folks to BE AND FEEL SAFE. you have allowed us voice our thoughts and feelings and experiances with the c/t, good or bad. i now have a '99 rsv trike that has two c/t's. the trike is a totaly different bike from a regular 2-wheel rsv with a single c/t. thanks again boss.

best reguards

don c.

opened fine for me

Opened fine for me too!

Now that I have installed the "hack" the bike won't be leaning, so I wonder what the engineers would say about a CT now? Seems it would be the same thing as having CTs on a trike, just one less. :confused24:

• 1 month later...

Walt,

If you will check with many of the sidecare users groups, many of them who have no intention of removeing the car from the bike, they not only install a car tire on the rear, but they also put a matching care tire on the front. This is a perfect application and reason to switch to car tires.

Rick

Opened fine for me too!

Now that I have installed the "hack" the bike won't be leaning, so I wonder what the engineers would say about a CT now? Seems it would be the same thing as having CTs on a trike, just one less. :confused24:

Walt,

If you will check with many of the sidecare users groups, many of them who have no intention of removeing the car from the bike, they not only install a car tire on the rear, but they also put a matching care tire on the front. This is a perfect application and reason to switch to car tires.

Rick

I mostly agree with the use of car tires on any three wheeled vehicle. Certainly the dangers and unpleasantness caused by the improper handling are gone when the bike no longer needs to lean in turns - even the rare flexi-hacks that still lean have different control geometries and more rubber on the ground.

BUT, if the vehicle is equipped with motorcycle rims, then there is still the issue of incorrect rim size for ANY car tire. Motorcycle rims and car rims are just plain different sizes and configurations. This is why so many car tires need to be inflated to very dangerous high pressures to bead up. When extraordinary pressure is needed to seat the tire, you risk dangerous damage to the tire casing, which can result in riding on a time bomb just waiting for an unnecessary failure.

So, a car tire in any position on a three wheeled vehicle is good IF the rim is specifically designed for mounting a car tire. But I personally believe that mounting any car tire on any motorcycle rim is just a bad idea, and anyone who chooses to do so needs to be fully aware of all the issues around that decision.

Goose

Curiosity has got the best of me -

I know of several "hacks" that have a car tire mounted on the front rim of the bike because it enhanses steering as well as mileage.

back to the curiosity - are there ant 'stats' on how many accidents from the 'time bomb' going off on a bike ?

How many death/injuries have been attributed to the 'time bomb'

How many times did a ship fall off the edge of the FLAT earth before a path was found ?

Go back and read the first post of this thread folks. It does NOT have to get negative. We are here to discuss things like this. Those considering a change to a car tire deserve to hear opinions from both sides. It is not necessarily geared towards changing anybodies mind. There are those that support car tires on a bike and there are those who don't. Their minds are pretty much made up. Those who are on the fence can benefit from both sides of the equation.

I am currently running a CT, it is not for everyone, nor would I recommend it to everyone.

I wanted to try it, so I did.

So far, my experience has been positive. The bike does handle differently, like riding on my stock bridgestone after it was worn out.

Riding in the rain, is different than riding in fair weather.

Riding in the winter is different than riding in the summer.

Riding at night is different than riding during the day.

etc. etc. etc.

Riding with a C/T is different than riding with a M/T.

It is my freedom of choice, and I agree with the message that Freebird it trying to get across..... "just be informed before you choose."

I thought the point of this forum was so that people could come in here and discuss the info regarding using a car tire and not have to keep listening to the preachers constantly telling you "Thou Shalt NOT" use a car tire over and over again... Really.

If you let them start this again what is the point of having the forum?

I've seen that article before. The writer starts out as if he is going to write the most open-minded Darksider article ever then starts comparing Darksiders with religious zealots and inserts a denigrating cartoon. He spends a good portion of the article comparing the "rounded" cycle tire to the "flat" car tire. I guess you see what you expect to see instead of what is actually there in front of you.

I will agree that anyone that's researching should gather all the info they can. Some may not be able to put up with the naysayers and some may not have the fortitude to know that they are doing the impossible. :)

• 2 years later...

I have been riding a car tire on my wing for over 8k miles now.. I have been in MANY twisties, (WV, NC, GA & TN), and those that know me know I usually ride hard at times in the twisties.

Just because I now have a CT on my wing doesn't mean I ride any different.

In MY opinion, my wing rides "much" smoother on the super slabs and I find it is "much" easier to handle in the curves and twisties.

As for the comment of having to raise the air pressure to an unsafe limit and riding on a time bomb, I don't know of anyone who runs a CT that does that. Those who run CT's will tell you to ONLY run 29 to 31lbs in your CT.

I run 30lbs all the time. Twisties or not..

Reference post #19 above.. I feel the same........

Eck

I've put about 10k on my 96 RSTC with a CT. I really like the way it rides and handles. It did take 120 psi to get it to seat, though. I run 38 psi in it. Less than that feels a bit squirmy to me. A friend has put over 50k on his and not had any issues. He is on his 2nd CT now.