IGNORED

Ford Escape AC

Galapagos

I have a 2010 Ford Escape with 63k on the odometer. The AC quit working. I took it to the dealer and he gave me a quote for $3500! Said the system was full of debris and they need to change everything in it. I called Ford and asked for some good will on this repair. I have always owned Rangers and the F series trucks. We will see how well Ford stands behind its product. Happy Friday the 13th.

Edited by Man of Steel

How can debris get inside the ac system? If it's internal debris from the system falling apart, then Ford should pick up the tab for building crap. But me thinks the dealer is trying to put the screws to you. I would take it to another dealer. Sounds a bit fishy.

A major failure of the compressor will fill the system with debris. Some manufacturers will require complete replacement of system if they are going to warrant the replacement compressor. Others require a flush only. Tough break, A/C can be incredibly expensive to repair. The $3500 quote does not suprise me.

Jeff

I work for a Ford dealer and recently we have had a few 2010 Eacapes with the same concern. Debris from compressor failing and pretty much requires the entire system replaced. I dont know about how it Ford treats it customers in the USA but here n my area we would be able to get you assistance with the repairs if you were going through our dealership. Ask the dealer for the customer assistance toll free nimber, explain your situation, tell them you love your FORD, the dealer is great and you are going to continue buying FORD vehicles. Thats what they like to hear whether you feel that way or not.

I called Ford and told them of my patronage to thier products in the past. I have owned more than a few Rangers. I was also going to buy a new Ranger near the end of the year. Then I found out they are going to quit making them. Great trucks, they must be nuts to discontinue the line.

• 7 months later...

Truck was just at the dealer because my rad was running on high when it didn't have to. (minus 25 celsius outside and the fan kicked on before the temperature gauge even moved after a cold start)

Dealer says debris in the AC unit and the entire thing needs to be replaced. Ford Canada offered $500 and the dealer is "working on their quote" with strict instructions from Ford Canada. I haven't received the revised quote from the dealership yet, but I'm curious to know how many other users have faced the same issue.

2011 Ford Escape XLT FWD V6

81,000kms (powertrain warranty only)

At the begining of last summer the AC went on the Suburban, and I was quoted $1300 to repair it. I said I'd think about it. Went on eBay and bought a brand new compressor and dryer for $350 bucks out of Texas. Took it to my local Midas shop and they R&R'd, and charged the system for $260. Total....$610. Less than half. :thumbsup2: