IGNORED

Stebel Air horn install......question

gibvel

Well, got my horn installed this weekend. Sounds 1000 times better than the stock.

I noticed on one of the install pdf files that someone posted that they say (right under the photo of the horn) that the air inlet (the nipple that you had to insert into the side of the air pump housing) must face to the rear or be routed to the rear with a plastic hose. This is so the dirt and debris can't get into the air pump. This sounds like a very important thing to do as, with it in the position in which most of us have installed the horn, it is very much exposed to dirt, debris, rain etc.

How many of you have actually done this with theirs?

I've attached a copy of the pdf file.

Well, got my horn installed this weekend. Sounds 1000 times better than the stock.

I noticed on one of the install pdf files that someone posted that they say (right under the photo of the horn) that the air inlet (the nipple that you had to insert into the side of the air pump housing) must face to the rear or be routed to the rear with a plastic hose. This is so the dirt and debris can't get into the air pump. This sounds like a very important thing to do as, with it in the position in which most of us have installed the horn, it is very much exposed to dirt, debris, rain etc.

How many of you have actually done this with theirs?

I've attached a copy of the pdf file.

I did that on mine. Use the black plastic adapter that came with the horn and attach a clear piece of plastic tubing to it. I ran mine under the bike about 12" and pointed it to the rear. I think I tied it off to the top of the AIS. That should do it.:080402gudl_prv:

I'm not going to ugly it up by running a hose around the front if it. It it dies I'll just get a new one, it's only $45.

PS. Had a good use for the horn last night, I was turning left (with green arrow) onto an on-ramp and some idiot lady in an over-large SUV heading in the opposite direction was turning right onto the curve that leads to the same on-ramp. She has a yield sign but is on her cell phone and thinks she can just fit next to me somehow. Well I sounded the 'ol Stebel and the cell phone dropped while she jumped upright and jerked the wheel right into and up over the curb. Funniest thing Ive seen in awhile.

I'm not going to ugly it up by running a hose around the front if it. It it dies I'll just get a new one, it's only $45.

I hear ya bobo :sign20:

Guess I was more curious if others have done this or not and what they've experienced in the way of riding conditions and problems due to those conditions. Wish they made the little hose barb reversible so you could just point it backward. I guess there's always the option of running it without the little hose barb all together. Then it sucks from straight down instead of front or back

I guess there's always the option of running it without the little hose barb all together. Then it sucks from straight down instead of front or back

Thats how I run it, and it looks like that's how most of the other guys that have posted pics run it too. I think as long as you aren't sounding the horn in a huge dust or rain storm you should be just fine. :D

Thats how I run it, and it looks like that's how most of the other guys that have posted pics run it too. I think as long as you aren't sounding the horn in a huge dust or rain storm you should be just fine. :D

Stebel added that as a warranty advisement statement. There is an orifice in the intake near the compressor. You pull in a small bug or some road muck, and the horn will not blow. And Stebel will not warranty.

But it is only $45 to replace anyway..:080402gudl_prv:

I didn't do anything to mine either. Will look later at the hose option but morev then likely leave it off. As too any warranties or malfunctions I test mine every so often. Usually away from traffic.

Also that's another reason I left the electric horns in place. They're out of site and are nice back ups. Left them hooked up as well so actually running three horns. Think they'll hear me? :whistling:

Larry

Just received my horn. Where does the hose go? The only thing I see possible is at the bottom on the compressor and it looks like it needs a square hose???:confused24:

Crash, look around in the packaging. There should be a black connector that plugs into the cylinder close to the bottom. This is a transition piece to round tubing. If you don't have that, you'll have to do without it.

On the outside of the horn, on the compressor there is a raised section (molded into the housing of the compressor) that runs about 3/4 of the length of the compressor itself. If you look at it from the bottom of the compressor there's a hole in the bottom of this raised "tube" that is shaped something like a trapezoid.

As Boomer said, there is a black, right angle piece, that has a hose barb and it goes back to a piece that has the same shape as the hole in the compressor and has a little clip off of one side. This piece is meant to fit into the hole in the compressor, clip to the compressor and allow you to hook a hose to the compressor inlet.