IGNORED

40 mpg w lots of seafoam

tz89

Not complaining, just wondering. Does a good dose of seafoam affect mileage? I suppose I had 1/3 to a 1/2 more than the recommended mix. I measured 40 mpg on a 2 tank ride yesterday out to the Oregon coast and back around to home. Great day!

http://db.tt/H451XZov

Edited by tz89
add photo

I think that's pretty good and probably about average.

You could probably get a little more if you were so inclined but it don't sound bad.

As far as the Sea Foam, I usually treat pretty heavy also I don't think it really

hurts anything.

BOO

Not complaining, just wondering. Does a good dose of seafoam affect mileage? I suppose I had 1/3 to a 1/2 more than the recommended mix. I measured 40 mpg on a 2 tank ride yesterday out to the Oregon coast and back around to home. Great day!

Well, I'm sure you are gonna get lots of opinions on this, but my 2 cents says that the boost in octane you get from the seafoam might cause you some other issues in hot engine, discolored pipes, hot plugs ect, after it does the job in cleaning up. My personal feeling is that the stuff is awesome for cleanups, coping with the ethanol in the gas in SMALL doses and a must for storage, but running it routinely in large doses may cause other unwanted problems. Why wouldn't you try a higher octane of fuel or a mix of higher octane, pump half a tank of regular and a half tank of higher to see if you get the same results or maybe even a hotter plug? I think I am gonna leave this to the experts here but couldn't resist my 2 cents worth. Gonna be interesting to hear! :2cents:

I just usually go with the recommended dogage of 1 - 2 oz. per gallon, and typically only about once a month or every 3rd or 4th fill up (I use only regular unleaded). My bike doesn't sit for more than a few days at a time at most, so regular maintenance against the possible negative effects of +10 ethanol keep me using it, but not a lot of it. Of bigger concern for me is the quality of gas I buy. There are a lot of off-brand retailers around here, and I've been burned a few times buying cheap gas in an effort to save a few bucks, but never again. I stick with Shell, BP and Exxon mainly, but also frequent Kroger gas stations (since their's is usually the same as Shell) or QT in a pinch. Never will use Chevron, Citgo, Pure, Kangaroo or Vallero again.

I have seen a difference in my bike mileage when I use a "heavier" dose of Seafoam. Maybe due to a heavier throttle usage while I was trying to clean out the carbs ???? My story and sticken to it ! My bad.

But I have used it in much heavier than recommended doses in the past and cut way back because of my perception of lower mileage when I use it.

I've had a heavy dose of Seafoam foul a couple plugs on a previous bike I had.

Thats about the only thing I have ever had Seafoam do for me!

I know that its considered the miracle cure but I'm still waiting for that divine intervention :fingers-crossed-emo

Thats about the only thing I have ever had Seafoam do for me!

I know that its considered the miracle cure but I'm still waiting for that divine intervention :fingers-crossed-emo

I use sea foam every once in a while but I have to admit I don't think it does much either. If I have a big issue with the carbs about the only way to fix it is take it apart and clean the jets by hand.

I believe that is the first time I heard anything about sea foam increasing the octane.

BOO

I keep seafoam in because I don't know how long the bike might have to sit waiting for extended days of rain to end. I had some carb issues at the end of last year and have been running it steady since then, but will back off when I can ride it regularly.

I don't add it for octane, or to change performance, just maintenance. I was just wondering if it would have an affect on mileage.

I got 44mpg without seafoam during a section of a long ride mostly in 5th at 3500rpm.

I rode down the coast and back home on the twisties this weekend... about 600 miles altogether.

Here's a couple of pix

http://db.tt/kvq0ares

http://db.tt/xApTtn5g