IGNORED

Does anyone have a picture of their 1st geners hitch to share ?

sorry if you would have asked 4 days ago I could have helped . Ijust removed my markland and sent it to a friend to be converted to a reece style reciver. Cant wait to get it back home and on the bike. Im already in the procese of saving to get a triple flag pole holder from the calssifieds .

DAvid

sorry if you would have asked 4 days ago I could have helped . Ijust removed my markland and sent it to a friend to be converted to a reece style reciver. Cant wait to get it back home and on the bike. Im already in the procese of saving to get a triple flag pole holder from the calssifieds .

DAvid

Keep us posted on your conversion. That is something I'd like to do to mine.

Mike

DAvid

Thanks David, seems there are several interested and some that want to do the conversion as you. I am glad to help out. I have a reducer/adapter that would work for this I think. Just weld it to the bottom of what you have I think and you would end up with a reese style hitch. I would appreciate a picture when you get it back if you do not mind.

Thanks again....

Fuzzy

This is what I have for mine. Sorry, no pics of it on the bike. Still working on the paint and waiting to put it back on.

Mike

Thanks Mike. Is the rear area with the ball attached a solid 1/4" or so plate of steel ?

Just wondering if that is what some are talking about welding to. If so, then you could just remove the ball and weld the reese type receiver/adapter to the bottom, while trying to keep the other side cool with wet cold rags maybe. Keeping the other side cool enough so the chrome does not come off would be the tricky part I think.

Thanks for the pictures. I now understand it more when being asked about the 1st gen hitch working with the Stinger Flagpole Mount I build. Now I see, said the poor blind man.

Fuzzy:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Great design Jeff. I wished I could do that. I did my drawings in paint, the best I could. Worked alright, but your drawings are great. You could probably sell a few of those from what I been hearing.

What is the measurement from the rear of the hitch to the 1/2" pin hole ?

Just wondering because my stinger mount is 2 1/2" to center of pin hole to the rear of the stinger. I may need to change from 2 1/2" to 2" to the center of the pin hole from rear of stinger.

Fuzzy

I checked a bunch of class I hitches at a local store.

They were all a 5 inch long receiver tube with the hole at 2.50 inches from both ends.

So I followed the lead so that anything from a store should fit.

Thank you. I did the same exact thing. But there where a few that where at 2" centers. But the most where 2.50 . Thank you sir.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

Thanks David, seems there are several interested and some that want to do the conversion as you. I am glad to help out. I have a reducer/adapter that would work for this I think. Just weld it to the bottom of what you have I think and you would end up with a reese style hitch. I would appreciate a picture when you get it back if you do not mind.

Thanks again....

Fuzzy

well youve already seen pics of whats being done to mine is Jeffs thread.

And yes Ill be putting up pics whenever it do=ne . Im in no hurry as trailer pulling seaseons not here yet and I can pull with the truck if I need to

David

well youve already seen pics of whats being done to mine is Jeffs thread.

And yes Ill be putting up pics whenever it do=ne . Im in no hurry as trailer pulling seaseons not here yet and I can pull with the truck if I need to

David

Oh, great. Glad to hear that. Really looks good. I was hoping he would build a few for people. Steel has gotten so high it is ridiculous, even when buying in bulk.

Also grinding wheels for hand grinders and cutting blades for cut off saws are high. I am going to purchase me another bench grinder to help with grinding and see if it might be better and cheaper than the hand grinder wheels. I found a six inch that I am going to try.

Fuzzy

This is what I have for mine. Sorry, no pics of it on the bike. Still working on the paint and waiting to put it back on.

Mike

The Markland's mount to the saddlebag frame. If you happened to hit something that twisted the mount, you could screw up your bags big time. Mine mounts to the main frame.

Here's the one I built back in '89. It's built as a receiver hitch, just remove the forward bolt. Except that I have never had a reason the remove the shank.

Pulled a KwikKamp trailer 20,000 miles with it.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/Ozlander/P4150359.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/Ozlander/P4150361.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c33/Ozlander/P4150364.jpg

Been ask about the 1st gen bike hitch. I would appreciate some help to find what would work and pictures would be great. Thank you for your time.

Fuzzy :confused24::think:

I have attached some pictures of a Markland hitch, installed on my 86. I had to install a beefy shim under the bag attachment, to bring the hitch low enough to clear the light bar. The mounting tabs on the chrome slide-in portion of the hitch are blocked by the light bar and a work-around will be interesting. Since I have nothing to pull, the hitch is just another "chrome do-dad" to keep clean.

[ATTACH]66047[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]66045[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]66046[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]66048[/ATTACH]

I know some will laugh at me, but I decided to share pictures of my homemade hitch anyway because it is so simple and it works. For those who will think it may not be safe, I can only tell you that it can be removed and remounted very easily and my friend Mother borrowed it to carry a loaded cooler on his 86 VR on his extended trip to Alaska and throughout Western Canada and USA. I remounted on on my own 88 and hauled my trailer with it on our 13,000 km "Venture West". It has never shown any sign of stress or slippage and it has enough strength that I can stand on it.

The first picture shows the hitch from behind - basically just a ball mounted on a flat plate. the second picture shows how the flat plate is attached to two bars which are each attached by 3 ubolts to the frame of saddlebag rack. (When I bought the bike, there were only 2 ubolts and I added the third).