IGNORED

Michigan Helmet Law

rickardracing

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DEARBORN, Mich., April 13, 2012

legislation which allows some motorcyclists to ride without a helmet on the state's roadways has been signed into law by Governor Rick Snyder. Public Act 98, which takes effect today,

The repeal erases more than three decades of Michigan's mandatory helmet law. The new law allows motorcyclists to ride without a helmet if they have a $20,000 medical policy, have had the cycle endorsement for at least two years, or completed a motorcycle safety course

Riders at least 21 can decide to wear a helmet

Updated: Friday, 13 Apr 2012, 12:35 PM EDT

Published : Friday, 13 Apr 2012, 9:26 AM EDT

LANSING, Mich. (WOOD) - Michigan will become the 31st state to give motorcyclists the option of wearing a helmet under legislation signed by Gov. Rick Snyder on Thursday.

The legislation was approved with bipartisan support. Lawmakers had passed repeals of the mandatory motorcycle helmet law before, but the measures were vetoed twice by then-Gov. Jennifer Granholm.

Gov. Snyder's office told 24 Hour News 8 on Friday the law takes immediate effect, but it is going to take some time before all of the state's police agencies are notified and everything gets put into place.

Under Senate Bill 291, sponsored by state Sen. Phil Pavlov (R-St. Clair), motorcyclists --

• Can choose whether to wear a helmet if they are at least 21 years old
  • Must have at least $20,000 of first party medical benefits coverage -- in case they are involved in an accident
  • Must have passed a motorcycle safety course or have had their motorcycle endorsement for at least two years

Motorcycle passengers who want to exercise this option also must be 21 or older and carry additional insurance.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120413/POLITICS02/204130397/1409/metro/Snyder-signs-repeal-Michigan-s-motorcycle-helmet-law

Quick search did not turn up the actual legal proceedings like I had hoped but here you go; it appears to have gone in to effect this morning.

Be safe everyone!

I'll be keeping my helmet on around here, just to much traffic and drivers that don't pay attention.

Makes me think about the cruel irony of an article I saw some time ago. I don't remember all the details, but there was a guy that was protesting helmet laws (again don't remember the state) in his state. He was with out one when he hit a parking lot bumper with his scoot. He fell over and hit his head on the pavement. He was pronounced dead at the scene... :(

Makes me think about the cruel irony of an article I saw some time ago. I don't remember all the details, but there was a guy that was protesting helmet laws (again don't remember the state) in his state. He was with out one when he hit a parking lot bumper with his scoot. He fell over and hit his head on the pavement. He was pronounced dead at the scene... :(

That happened in NY state.

Looks like an open invitation to a traffic stop if not wearing one. Law says 2yr with endorse and xtra ins? Good reason to stop and check you out. Your choice folks but I personaly have been hit by some of them big ole sicada or whatever you call them. They will leave a welt.

Finally.:thumbsup2:

Now I know where we will be getting away to this summer. Touring the waterfalls and forests and the history of the U.P. :D

Later, Scooter Bob

Now thats about the only place I would feel ok about not wearing a helmet.