So, after runninga bit with the LA Chopper slip-ons I decided to go back to stock pipes. The highway volume became so obnoxious it rattled my eardrums out! The helmet seeemed to make the volume louder- more than I could take. Too bad 'cause I liked the rumble of these pipes at idle and throttle blip.

Also, so after putting stock pipes back on and taking a small roadtrip this weekend I realized another issue (I had installed a jet kit to tune the pipes)- gas mileage went down considerably! I used to get 42-45mpg and on this 300 mile trip I only averaged 28-30mpg!!! Jet kit is coming out too.

Oh well, I guess it's not such a good idea to re-engineer/mess with what's not broke.

RSTAR08

About 10 years ago I learned that same lesson on a Nomad. After about three hours my head hurt and I dreaded each time a cylinder fired as it was painful.Luckily it was fuel injected so I just had to put the Power Commander back to stock with a laptop..

Yeah, these lessons get more-n-more expensive....supposed to get wiser as we get older. LOL

Had the same thought about the windshield trapping road noise. I've riddin many cruisers without 'em and I won't go back- at least not for hghway ridin'. Can't enjoy the ride when your body is acting like a sail- not to mention the inability to react to a sudden road hazard. I remember holdin' on for life fighting head-winds and crosswinds hoping I would not need to avoid a reckless maneuver or road debris, problem is when your'e young you think it's all about the image and forget about the ride.

Yeah, gettin' old means you've finally made enough bone-headed mistakes to actually face the music and deal with the reality of ridin' not the fantasy. But, hey, enjoy youth while you got it it age cathes you faster than those 3 sec. crotch rockets will.....

Enjoy, Ridin' On

:fingers-crossed-emo

• 3 weeks later...