IGNORED

83 front brake switch

Guest Dave Rogge

Guest Dave Rogge

Hi everyone

New guy here. I have an '83 Venture Royale with factory cruise control. I need a new front brake light switch. The one I received from Yamaha has only two wires, while the existing one on the bike has 4 wires, and runs through a small block (resistor or capacitor?) before plugging into a four gang block in the headlight shell. The Yamaha dealer I spoke with couldn't find any reference to the different switch, or a part number for it. Anyone had this same problem??

Yes, there are different switches depending on whether you have cruise or not. The second set of contacts on the 4 wire switch is to tell the cruise control controller that the brakes have been applied and to turn off the cruise control. Only the Royale model had the cruise, and the '83 I think was an option. You can try '84 on up for the proper switch. I had an extra but gave it away a couple of months ago...

Hi everyone

New guy here. I have an '83 Venture Royale with factory cruise control. I need a new front brake light switch. The one I received from Yamaha has only two wires, while the existing one on the bike has 4 wires, and runs through a small block (resistor or capacitor?) before plugging into a four gang block in the headlight shell. The Yamaha dealer I spoke with couldn't find any reference to the different switch, or a part number for it. Anyone had this same problem??

The way you have described the switch, it sounds like an 88-89 one. They put a capacitor/choke in the ones for those 2 years in an attempt to reduce radio noise.

The rear brake also has a capacitor/choke, but the clutch does not.

Cut of schematic attached.

Gary

Guest Dave Rogge
Yes, there are different switches depending on whether you have cruise or not. The second set of contacts on the 4 wire switch is to tell the cruise control controller that the brakes have been applied and to turn off the cruise control. Only the Royale model had the cruise, and the '83 I think was an option. You can try '84 on up for the proper switch. I had an extra but gave it away a couple of months ago...

Thanks for your help! It appears that my switch is from an '89 model like you said.

Dave Rogge