IGNORED

Scorpion EXO-900 & headsets

Sideoftheroad

I have the EXO 900 and used a standard J&M boom mic headset from my previous ARAI. Works fine. I did have to make a slight mod to run the boom mic. I'll try to take a pic and post it later this weekend. It works both with and without the full-face, which I take off for summer.

Edited by 1sttenor
Completed the answer

Which J&M headset series did you go with? likes/dislikes?

I emailed J&M because I like the installation they did in their picture. Very clean. For the price I might as well figure something else out like what you guys did (whatever that might be) or return the helmet to the dealer and buy the helmet and the headset preinstalled from J&M.

For me to go w/ how they installed I would have to have the helmet shipped at my cost round trip. For the Elite series including their labor installation charge it would be $290. For the Performance series including their labor installation charge it would be $240. Either way that is more than what I paid for the helmet. On top of that I would still have to buy the lower cord seperately. I told them I already have a 1 piece cord and they said with it being custom installed the 1 piece won't work with it.

That equals 1 expensive helmet.

Which J&M headset series did you go with? likes/dislikes?

I emailed J&M because I like the installation they did in their picture. Very clean. For the price I might as well figure something else out like what you guys did (whatever that might be) or return the helmet to the dealer and buy the helmet and the headset preinstalled from J&M.

For me to go w/ how they installed I would have to have the helmet shipped at my cost round trip. For the Elite series including their labor installation charge it would be $290. For the Performance series including their labor installation charge it would be $240. Either way that is more than what I paid for the helmet. On top of that I would still have to buy the lower cord seperately. I told them I already have a 1 piece cord and they said with it being custom installed the 1 piece won't work with it.

That equals 1 expensive helmet.

Sounds like you got more of a response from J&M than I did,,, I just bought two GMAX 54s helmets from Cycle Giant. I emailed J&M asking which model # of the Performance Series they recommended for those helmets... The reply was "We're not familiar with that helmet, can't help you".

So, guess I'll have to find someone with that type of helmet and see what their using.

I think with J&M headsets they are more or less universal. The difference is the lower cord. It looks like some are helmet specific or generic according to the type of helmet (full face, quarter or half).

Could you send another email and just let them know what bike you have and that you have a full face helmet, modular, quarter, half, etc...(w/out letting them know the helmet model)?

I installed a J & M 584 headset in my wife's EXO900 and it works great.

I removed the left cheek pad and installed the boom mic then modified the pad to allow for the mic. It wasn't hard at all.

You do have to open/shut the helmet jaw as the flap that reduces the air flow into the helmet around the chin will catch the boom on the mic.

Dave

Man, I'm eyeboling Scorpio 900 transformer helmet for long time, J&M are come with bluetooth version, which is all i need with my iPhone ( Good GPS , MP3 and phone , all in one) , but price is some kind of steep. Is it any better choice (privewise) beside j&m web sirte, please share.

Look at what I just found. It is clampless just like what they told me could only be done at their factory.

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-HS-ICD584-CLAMPLESS

Here is another one but says high output. Is there really a difference?

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM-HS-ECD584-FL-HO

Found this describing J&M's custom installation process and the helmet they used sounds just like the 900.

http://archives.wingworldmag.com/august2002/magazine/department/productreport.html

This is crazy. Here is the patent info. along with pics when you open the pdf file

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/7616774.html

Edited by Sideoftheroad

F.Y.I. i bought my j&m head set from a lovely member here and had him send it to me and when i got it ,i looked at it and figured I'd cut off my hand with a exacto knife so i took it to a local shop were I've spent a lot of money and drooped it off. picked it up the next day at NO CHARGE!!!! hopefully this will help. :bluesbrother:

I have used the J&M universal headsets for years on my openface helmets/flipface helmets and liked them.

After I had already boughten my EXO900 helmet I seen that they have the headset made specifically for that helmet. ie: it fits in the opening once you remove the plate. I contacted J&M to buy the kit and was told that they wouldn't sell it to me. I had to buy the complete helmet or ship them my helmet and they would install it. Crazyness.

Anyways, I looked around and found a different headset at half the price. I took a gamble and am glad I did. The speakers were half the thickness and I didn't have to alter the helmet to put them in. In my opinion the speakers were as good or maybe even better than the J&M ones. The only drawback I have is when I run the stubby shield I get more windnoise in my mike with the face removed. This is resolved by turning down the IC volume.

Here is the links: The one to buy is the one for the Goldwing.

http://imcmoto.com/

http://imcmoto.com/helmets/helmets-by-brand/scorpion/hs-65ex-integrated-headset-for-exo-900-helmet-265.html

:080402gudl_prv:

One thing about the ones you posted is the comment about the wind noise. Not sure if J&M mics do that?

I have never noticed the J&M ones do that. But, like I said, it only happens with openface helmet and the stubby shield. I can still her the wife with the IC turned down(unfortunately) LOL.

I personally think the speakers are better on the IMC ones and the mic is on the J&M. I decided I liked the looks of the ones from IMC because they went in the hole the manf. of the helmet made for it and I could not get that from J&M.

:080402gudl_prv: