IGNORED

For those who love war birds

Trader

My favorite, that would be an F-4 Corsair, I think the Japs called it "screaming eagle" because of the sound the oil cooler made in a full dive, and on the ground, that radial engine sounds strong along with (I think it is) the largest propeller of any fighter in that day, I think it was 13 1/2 ft. in diameter. :thumbsup2:

My favorite, that would be an F-4 Corsair, I think the Japs called it "screaming eagle" because of the sound the oil cooler made in a full dive, and on the ground, that radial engine sounds strong along with (I think it is) the largest propeller of any fighter in that day, I think it was 13 1/2 ft. in diameter. :thumbsup2:

I believe "screaming eagle" is the name for Harley performance parts. The Japanese called it the "Whistling Death" because of the sound it made. They were very tough aircraft with at least one recorded instance, near the end of the second world war, of a pilot whose guns jammed, so he went after a twin engine Japanese fighter using his propeller to slice off the back part of the enemy fighter, causing it to crash. He lost 5 inches off his propeller tips and still made it back to his base for a safe landing. Seems the pilots were at least as tough as the planes.

Modern planes may have superior performance, but they'll never sound as good as these old war birds. Sends a shiver down my spine every time I hear one!

Andy

Wow !!!!!!!!!!! That was something else....Been on a twin engine from Lexington to Louisville. Then a giant jet from Louisville, KY to Roy Rogers airport in Oklahoma. At first scared to death, but once up and relaxed, I loved it.

The twin engine dropped a few times in air turbulence that we where warned about and scared me to death. Then the giant four across seat jet was really nice. It set me back in the seat when we took off. I loved being up and in the clouds. Flew back and forth to Oklahoma four different times for on the job training. An experience I have never forgotten and never will.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

We have a member who's father was a F-4 Corsair pilot in the S.Pacific during WWII. I think you would be surprised at who the member is........I will let a few of you guess, before I reveal. In his later years after serving he became and Episcopal Priest. I would have loved to have met him but he passed on last year. Our member talked proudly of his dads accomplishments the last time we saw each other.