Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36

Thread: rain suites

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    black mountain
    Posts
    943
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    once again thanks for all the info. i guess there are times when all you need is a jacket or pants and not both, thanks for pointing this out. makes a lot of since why you prefer the two piece over the one piece. and thats what i ride in also Twigg is the Olympia airglide 3 however mine is a little over three years old and i heard the newer ones are a little better than my old style neon yellow. i ride with solid tourmaster pants textile type with a liner which is good to stop most of the rain but gets a little hot on a summers rain. been thinking to switching over to mesh pants but seems like i read that the mesh pants and jackets are worse on you on those hot summer days due to the wind blowing right threw and actually dehydrating worse than if you had on solid riding gear. i do know i rode to the beach a couple of years ago and after about 2 1/2 hours i had to take mine off. it felt like i was about to pass out.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brantford, west end
    Posts
    7,812
    Canada
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
    Frogg Toggs have acknowledged the defect with the zipper and have upgraded to a different zipper. I e-mailed them about mine and though it was out of warranty (3 or more years old ) they sent me a new jacket, with the upgraded zipper, free of charge.
    http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68375
    Had the same issue, with the same results,,, good company, and good product!!
    NOTE: You have to be careful when you insert your foot into the pants or you will tear the crotch and cause leaking problems,,,, from the outside in,, I think.
    It's nice to be the same
    But
    It's great to be different!

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Owasso, OK
    Posts
    1,449
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warrior/honeybee View Post
    once again thanks for all the info. i guess there are times when all you need is a jacket or pants and not both, thanks for pointing this out. makes a lot of since why you prefer the two piece over the one piece. and thats what i ride in also Twigg is the Olympia airglide 3 however mine is a little over three years old and i heard the newer ones are a little better than my old style neon yellow. i ride with solid tourmaster pants textile type with a liner which is good to stop most of the rain but gets a little hot on a summers rain. been thinking to switching over to mesh pants but seems like i read that the mesh pants and jackets are worse on you on those hot summer days due to the wind blowing right threw and actually dehydrating worse than if you had on solid riding gear. i do know i rode to the beach a couple of years ago and after about 2 1/2 hours i had to take mine off. it felt like i was about to pass out.
    You are quite correct.

    Once the temperature rises above around 95F, that "cooling breeze" is heating you up. There is a very real danger of severe dehydration and heat stroke. That is why I simply shake my head at motorcyclists who ride in t-shirts and jeans in summer.

    The Airglide has fully wind and waterproof liners that should be fitted in very hot weather, making the suit a solid outfit. You can also then pour ice and water inside it that will take away the excess heat.

    There is no doubt that such gear is uncomfortable when you are not moving. There isn't a good answer to this. Summers are hot and so far we cannot air-condition motorcycles.

    When you peel off such gear, and are bathed in sweat underneath, that simply shows that it is working. The danger is when all the sweat has evaporated and the wind is draining the fluids from your body.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    black mountain
    Posts
    943
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    that sounds like Esperance talking right there o new great moderator. LOL

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rockwood
    Posts
    411
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Just my two cents worth:
    Last year Hannah and I rode from Banner Elk, NC to just west of Knoxville, TN. It rained all the way and when I say rained I mean it was NOT just a sprinkle now and then. Our new Frogg Togg suits left us wet (damp really) up the center of the front of the upper body. Also the crotch area of my suit left me looking like I had "had an accident" (smile).
    Considering that we did a five and a half hour ride in hard rain I suppose that was not too bad. Still I really believe the Frogg Togg suits performed in a less than satisfactory manner.
    Retired: This is my office now!

    Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    black mountain
    Posts
    943
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    GUESS WHEN I GET SOME MONEY I;LL HAVE TO UPGRADE TO THE NEWER STYLE. my liner is a little thick to wear on hot summer days plus i need to get the wife some riding gear before i update mine. going along with this discussion I've heard when your riding on a hot day that when you stop to drink something you don't want it to be to cold due to the differences in core temperature vs beverage temp.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Owasso, OK
    Posts
    1,449
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by warrior/honeybee View Post
    GUESS WHEN I GET SOME MONEY I;LL HAVE TO UPGRADE TO THE NEWER STYLE. my liner is a little thick to wear on hot summer days plus i need to get the wife some riding gear before i update mine. going along with this discussion I've heard when your riding on a hot day that when you stop to drink something you don't want it to be to cold due to the differences in core temperature vs beverage temp.
    Mine has two liners for the jacket. There is a very thin waterproof "shell". plus a very warm insulated inner.

    I have not needed the inner in temps above 35F

    The answer to the shock of very cold drinks is simply to drink a little, but often. On long rides I carry a 1 gallon cooler that I can use while riding with a drinking tube.

    On shorter rides, or when I have a pillion, we use cup holders and regularly top up 32oz cups.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    black mountain
    Posts
    943
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    roger that. i guess thats what makes the new one better than the one i have. ride safe

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Saanichton, BC
    Posts
    884
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saddlebum View Post
    Frogg Toggs have acknowledged the defect with the zipper and have upgraded to a HEAVIER DUTY zipper. I e-mailed them about mine and though it was out of warranty (3 or more years old ) they sent me a new jacket, with the upgraded zipper, free of charge.
    http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68375
    Good to know about the upgraded zipper.

    There are several models of Frogg Toggs. Which one do you have and do you know what the differences are between them? The descriptions for each are fairly similar but there is quite a variation in price between the regular Frogg Toggs at the low end and the Elite Highway ones at the high end. I expect you probably know only about the model you have but thought you might know something about the other models. Just thought I would ask.

    Did you deal with a Canadian distributor American distributor or directly with Frogg Toggs? Mostly I am interested here in the difference between shipping costs. I recently bought a couple of items from LeatherUp which cost $51 shipping across the border instead of the free shipping in the lower 48.
    Cheers, Clive

    ~ 90 Venture Royal ~ 96 xv1100 Virago ~
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." - POGO


  10. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Zebulon
    Posts
    132
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Bought a two piece knock-off frog toggs from Sams for under $30 and I dont have any problems with them. Actually used them today.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Woodstock
    Posts
    463
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    On my second set of Frog Toggs and just love them ! First pair is used as spare for wife to use only because since owning Road-star with Vance & Hines exhaust which is VERY HOT and Toggs don't take heat well at all and they melt easily.Have used Duct tape to patch up holes and they still work. Been thru severe thunder storms and no wetness. Sometimes it felt like crotch area was getting wet so I would ride slightly off seat and when I stopped NOTHING was wet at all.Great investment--cost $90CAN here. Colder weather coat is great for taking the chill off.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Welland
    Posts
    1,003
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy2 View Post
    On my second set of Frog Toggs and just love them ! First pair is used as spare for wife to use only because since owning Road-star with Vance & Hines exhaust which is VERY HOT and Toggs don't take heat well at all and they melt easily.Have used Duct tape to patch up holes and they still work. Been thru severe thunder storms and no wetness. Sometimes it felt like crotch area was getting wet so I would ride slightly off seat and when I stopped NOTHING was wet at all.Great investment--cost $90CAN here. Colder weather coat is great for taking the chill off.
    If you have to buy another one, check Royal Distributing.

    http://www.royaldistributing.com/main/

    Bought some Frogg Toggs for my wife there last year and paid $68.00. Also, they sell a patch kit to glue to the ankles (Or where ever they're needed on the suit) that helps to heat proof that area against exhaust pipes.

    Andy

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Burlington, Ontario
    Posts
    3,617
    Canada
    ON
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by camos View Post
    Good to know about the upgraded zipper.

    There are several models of Frogg Toggs. Which one do you have and do you know what the differences are between them? The descriptions for each are fairly similar but there is quite a variation in price between the regular Frogg Toggs at the low end and the Elite Highway ones at the high end. I expect you probably know only about the model you have but thought you might know something about the other models. Just thought I would ask.

    Did you deal with a Canadian distributor American distributor or directly with Frogg Toggs? Mostly I am interested here in the difference between shipping costs. I recently bought a couple of items from LeatherUp which cost $51 shipping across the border instead of the free shipping in the lower 48.
    I sent an e-mail directly to the manufacturer at this address marketing@froggtoggs.com. Shipping was not an issue as they covered the shipping cost for replacing my old jacket. It did not cost me a single penny.
    I AM A DRINKER OF THE WIND

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Hertford, NC
    Posts
    8,274
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    We got wetskins had them sent down by one of our Canadians (Rocket). They work great and you can take out the liner. Not sure if you can get them in the states or not, I do know we couldn't get them anywhere near here.

    Margaret

    I'm Never Changing Who I Am!!

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    TX, NM, OK
    Posts
    4,832
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

    Unhappy still in a drought

    I once had to put on my rainsuit about 3 years ago. Maybe one day it will rain again where I live.




Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Rain..rain..go away
    By Condor in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 09:46 PM
  2. Seeing in the rain
    By Shamue in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
  3. Rain Rain Go Away.........
    By DragonRider in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-21-2009, 10:34 AM
  4. Rain?? What's that??
    By tooldood in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 04:23 AM
  5. Rain Rain When are you going to stop
    By E-Fishin-C in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •