IGNORED

MSF Course

Guest Rev'n Ahead

Guest Rev'n Ahead

Hey,

Started the MSF course last night, and gonna be there all day today and tomorrow. I've been riding since I was 12 and am still learning stuff... LOVE IT!

Just want to encourage anyone out there who hasn't taken it - get it!

Cheers,

Guest Rev'n Ahead
Too bad it wasn't a warmer weekend !

It was real fine this afternoon... but COLD this morning...

We had a GREAT day though. Looking forward to another full day tomorrow.

Guest Rev'n Ahead

Well, I finished, and passed the course... Although I grew up riding bikes and then had one (on/off) for about 10 years as an adult, I haven't ridden for 15 years so as part of my licensing in the province here I took the course.

LOVED IT! LEARNED A TON! AM encouraging EVERYONE to take it, regardless of your experience or size of bike/scoot. DO IT! You will NOT regret it, SERIOUSLY! :cool10:

I am a much better rider now and am much more confident taking my lovely lady on the bike with me now.

The course in PA is free. If you have a permit and pass, they can issue the motorcycle license. They also have one for trikes, but nothing for sidecar rigs. :(

I know guys that have ridden for years, took the course, and all said they learned something......usually what they were doing wrong!

• 3 weeks later...

I took the course after a dry spell, its well worth it. Only thing I can warn about is this, Im 6'3" and took a course that supplied the bikes. Honda Rebels, was tough on some maneuvers due to the knee/handlebar interaction.

I took the Basic Rider Course in the middle/late 80's and the Advance Rider Course in the early 90's. Both were free to me because I was on an Air Base. I enjoyed both of them and there is nothing better than getting paid to ride a motorcycle.:cool10:

I took the Basic Rider Course in the middle/late 80's and the Advance Rider Course in the early 90's. Both were free to me because I was on an Air Base. I enjoyed both of them and there is nothing better than getting paid to ride a motorcycle.:cool10:

One of the best TDY's I had while in the USAF was for two weeks to become an MSF certified instructor. It is still hard to believe that they actually paid me to go ride motorcycles. :cool10:

Of course that was a very long time ago...:backinmyday:

I too, took the MSF basic in the '80's.

It was so good, I STILL recommend every one to take it.

I wish the Advanced was less expensive (like free like our military gets...)

Unfortunately, I'm not a Vet and to old to join now...

Any one take the course when it was raining?

Part of me was hoping that when I took the course it would be 3 days of rain. Take a bit of the "Oh S***" out of first time it would happen for real. The rest of me was pretty glad it was nice and sunny though.

Guest Rev'n Ahead
Any one take the course when it was raining?

Part of me was hoping that when I took the course it would be 3 days of rain. Take a bit of the "Oh S***" out of first time it would happen for real. The rest of me was pretty glad it was nice and sunny though.

it rained on and off on Saturday for us and then we had snow, rain, sleet, hail, seriously: :depressed: everything on our test day except for dry or sunny... :cool10:

very glad it happened though.

I took the course after a dry spell, its well worth it. Only thing I can warn about is this, Im 6'3" and took a course that supplied the bikes. Honda Rebels, was tough on some maneuvers due to the knee/handlebar interaction.

The reason they make you ride the Rebels on the Basic Rider Course is, of course, insurance based. Harley had what they called 'Rider's Edge' for a little while and allowed people to ride their own bikes. After a few folks died on the course (dropping big bikes on themselves in tight corners), they had to ditch it.

The reason they make you ride the Rebels on the Basic Rider Course is, of course, insurance based. Harley had what they called 'Rider's Edge' for a little while and allowed people to ride their own bikes. After a few folks died on the course (dropping big bikes on themselves in tight corners), they had to ditch it.

Many Hardley dealerships still run the Rider's Edge courses. They use older Buell Blasts. Still too big of bike for some of the novices, but it is better than trying to learn on a bagger.

RR

• 1 year later...

Howdy,

I live in Portland, OR but, I have been teaching MSF classes in Vancouver, WA for over 10 years. I haven't taken the Team Oregon training but, I kind of know what they teach.

Anyway, I've taught a lot of classes in the rain and I always worry about the students over-braking in wet conditions during our emergency braking exercises.

Whether you are emergency braking or just normal braking, always do it the same way. Apply BOTH brakes gently at first and once you feel your weight transfer forward, you can apply more and more pressure on the hand brake, gently squeezing harder and harder.

If your front tire starts to skid, release the hand brake and re-apply it more gently.

In wet conditions, give yourself more time to stop (i.e., start braking sooner than you normally would). You also might want to ride at slower speeds.

Living in the Great North Wet, we "get to" ride in the wet all the time. It is perfectly safe if you follow certain safety guidelines such as the ones I mention above.

Others would be:

1. Do not ride during the first 1/2 or a rain storm in order to avoid the oily surface combining with the rain. Waiting will allow that oily film to wash away.
  2. Give yourself a larger following distance.
  3. Ride slower.
  4. Use some sort of anti-fog device or spray on your visor.
  5. Don't look through your windshield, look over it.

Another tip would be to avoid riding in the rain, if you can. :confused24:

Best regards,