IGNORED

class air system need help

wondering if someone can help! is there anyway to bypass the class air system on my 1986 yamaha venture royale? I bought it a week ago and it isnt working.

e-4 message can hear the pump clicking. took the controller out checked for soldier breaks. Im thinking this is gonna be a lot of work! so can I bypass the system so I can ride? thanks for any help!

One of the guys I know cut the lines at the pump and added Schrader valves , mounted them under his trunk so all he has to do is hook up a hand pump and adjust his air. (just like a new g2 bike...)

I would think you should avoid an air hose as you might blow out your fork seals with the high pressure air.

Brian

It would take just as long to solder the joints as to add the valves, and for me, even if it took a lot longer to solder, that's the way I would go. It's just one of the reasons I'm not interested in a 2nd gen,,,, besides the fact that they a soooo much slower. But that's only my opinion.

By the way, the clicking you hear are the solenoids, the pump makes a motor type sound.

I had similar issues with my '91. Being a former Navy Miniature/Micro Miniature Repair Inspector/Instructor(NavSea 2M), reflowing the solder connections was a snap and was well worth the effort. My CLASS system works fine.....

What you want to reflow are the solder joints where the connector is soldered to the board. Work in a "criss-cross" pattern, and remove the iron as soon as the solder melts and reflows. If you can find liquid flux, apply a little to each joint before you add any heat. The flux will remove surface oxidation and give you a nice shiny joint. Clean with some Isoprophyl to remove excess flux.

As an added tip, before you plug the cable(s) back in, apply some dielectric grease to the connector pins. The grease will keep moisture out and prevent corrosion.

My VR was already cut up when I got it. The front and rear air lines were tied together on one air valve! I separated the lines and added a pressure gauge and valve for each line. A $17 air pump from Academy (12V) connects to a power port on my dash when I need to add air.

:080402gudl_prv:

My VR was already cut up when I got it. The front and rear air lines were tied together on one air valve! I separated the lines and added a pressure gauge and valve for each line. A $17 air pump from Academy (12V) connects to a power port on my dash when I need to add air.

:080402gudl_prv:

Gary, just wanna ask, have you moved your rear trunk back? Or did you just move it back for the pic? I like the mounting spot, but I don't think I'll have room with the trunk where is is.

I'm getting ready to tee off my CLASS \air lines and install the valves so I can reach them from the outside of the bike. With the Tee's I can still use the pressure gauge in the CLASS display and in case I EVER can another CLASS controler to work right I than will have a back up sytem.

Gary, just wanna ask, have you moved your rear trunk back? Or did you just move it back for the pic? I like the mounting spot, but I don't think I'll have room with the trunk where is is.

I did not move the trunk or anything. :confused24:

I removed the CLASS air compressor and associated parts to make room under the black plastic and fabricated a couple of crude brackets to hold the gauges in place.

Snag, I think the 85 trunk is a bit farther back than the 83 or 84 as we have the bigger trunk on a different mounting rack. there's a tool pouch that sits between the seat and the trunk. ( a One year deal) that isnt in Garys picture.

Brian

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I had just about given up on my class and went and bought shraeder valves and was about to cut the lines and put them on, then found this thread. I had gone through the wiring, compressor, solenoids all with no luck. I did not have an error message but the solenoids were not clicking. I tried the solder fix and it worked! Thank you all. This saved me some time and money.