IGNORED

Kumhos are back

MAINEAC

165/80- 16 ? How tough to mount? does it need to be over inflated ? Will the rear still lockup like with a bike tire when you give too much pedal?

Unless you really prep the wheel it does take a lot of pressure to seat the beads.

The rear brake will still lock-up but it takes a little more effort. The only time I locked mine was on purpose to see how much effort it took and it didn't just slide like the m/c tire. It was squealing and vibrating from gripping the asphalt so hard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My concern for this Kumho 758 tire...165/80-15 is that it has a speed rating that is only a T...which means it is rated for 118 mph. Most bikes run tires that have an H or V rated tires.

While we do not usually ride at a consistant 118 mph, there are times...

I would hate to overheat the tire at speed, and have it blow out.

:detective:

165/80- 16 ? How tough to mount? does it need to be over inflated ? Will the rear still lockup like with a bike tire when you give too much pedal?

I put a Kumho on recently(Discount Tire, $82) and it took about 95lb to seat. Thats with lots of goo(I use KY). The solution I use to make it safer is to add a 25' air hose extension with a clip on inflator. That way you can be on the other side of a wall adding air and waiting for the 2 "pops". Start with a nice clean rim, and lube the crap out of it.

The rear will still lock-up, just takes a bit more pedal to do it.

if you run the pressure up to around 50-55 pounds and let it set about 10 minutes then let the air back out and run it up again it will "pop" at around 70-75 pounds.

Mine sat overnight at around 75lb. let it all out and tried again in the am. no joy. I let it down again, re-lubed it, and decided to go until it "popped"; one way or t'other. Second bead seated at appx. 95lb.

YMMV - sp!ke

• 3 weeks later...

I had to search hard to find the Kumho 165/80/15 but I did fine some.... King Tire in Roanoke, Va $55 out the door!!!!!! Said he has stock of 5 more if anyone needs one....Don't know if they ship or not but if anyone needs one and they don't ship, I could facilitate shipping, just msg me.

Be mounting it tomorrow hopefully, let ya's know the proceedure and how it works out....Oh, this will be my darkside plunge....so I'll be looking for dem cookies cuz i'm crossing over to feel the POWWA of the Darkside!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the vast amount of information on sizing and mounting and experience.

Thats a good price. Discount Tire carries this tire but they get $82 + tax. Cost me $89 for mine.

BTW: Mine took ~95lbs to seat. A bit scary if i do say. To make it less scary I added a clip on inflator head & 25 ft of hose and stood inside the garage while the tire was outside the garage. Then I just hit the button and waited to hear 2 "pops". Lots of "goo". I used KY.

When you go for your first ride it's gonna feel a bit "strange". Loosey Goosey if you will. Give it a couple hundred miles and you won't even notice it anymore.

sp!ke

I had to search hard to find the Kumho 165/80/15 but I did fine some.... King Tire in Roanoke, Va $55 out the door!!!!!! Said he has stock of 5 more if anyone needs one....Don't know if they ship or not but if anyone needs one and they don't ship, I could facilitate shipping, just msg me.

Be mounting it tomorrow hopefully, let ya's know the proceedure and how it works out....Oh, this will be my darkside plunge....so I'll be looking for dem cookies cuz i'm crossing over to feel the POWWA of the Darkside!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the vast amount of information on sizing and mounting and experience.

Guest tx2sturgis
My concern for this Kumho 758 tire...165/80-15 is that it has a speed rating that is only a T...which means it is rated for 118 mph. Most bikes run tires that have an H or V rated tires.

While we do not usually ride at a consistant 118 mph, there are times...

I would hate to overheat the tire at speed, and have it blow out.

:detective:

That speed rating assumes the tire is at its maximum weight load and maximum PSI.

Since darkside use will mean its carrying less than 1/3 or 1/4 of its rated weight, its most likely not gonna turn to rubber shrapnel at 118.1 mph.

But no gar-un-tees!

:whistling:

Silly Darksiders....you can't do that..... HA! Really liking the CT. Took 95lbs to seat but all is good.....running 38psi to start, may adjust after a 100 or so miles. Really doesn't feel much different... just got to tell my brain to ride like i've always did....guess I'm "supersearching" for any little difference between MT and CT....and I might be a little too careful.....

Just going to make sure the pressure is rite and ride it....I must say it's a more plush ride, i may have to bump up the rear shock a little but all in all, 60 miles into it so far, I'm pretty much decided I ain't goin back to MT......

Yeah, I guess they were right, you can't put a car tire on a bike.....ha!

Come to think of it, that factory goo stuff is probably melted off by now....Got it changed out Saturday, it was 101 degrees in Virginia, on the way home, bank temp sign said 102...:225:

• 2 weeks later...

To think I thought the dark side was just a bunch of nuts in vro some one needs to tell yall you just cant put a car tire on a bike ........not untill you round the edge of the tire:confused24: I have seen 2 bikes wit those tires on it owner of 1 put his on the day he got the bike new with 12 mi. bike had 65000 mi. on it and 1/3 tread left:whistling: